Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Paper 2 questions

Options
  • 04-06-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Couple of questions
    1. Do you have to use quotes for the cultural context?
    2. In the Theme/Issue do you only mention one theme or issue? e.g Courage or more than one
    3. In the poetry do you use headings when your talking about an aspect of the poets work? e.g. Marriage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

1. Quotation is not as essential as it is in the Poetry and Single Text questions, but I'd say know one or two key quotes, just to impress the examiner. I know a a few (only about three, mind you) choice quotations, which link in with my theme. They illustrate to the examiner that you've activly engaged with your texts and might set you up apart from your fellow classmates. On the other hand, make sure you know them accurately. Misquoted lines will only irritate the examiner!
    2. I'm not 100% sure on this myself, but I think you choose one. For example, mine is the theme of Storytelling. Your theme should be broad enough to allow you to write three man points on, though.
    3. Nah. The aspect you're discussing should be clear from your writing.

Okay, my questions: if I have a firm grasp on Theme/Issue and Cultural Context, a good knowledge of Rich, Mahon and Boland, the characters of Iago / Othello / Emilia plus the theme of jealousy and the theme of Order / Disorder, should I be pretty well covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

Casserine wrote: »
    Okay, my questions: if I have a firm grasp on Theme/Issue and Cultural Context, a good knowledge of Rich, Mahon and Boland, the characters of Iago / Othello / Emilia plus the theme of jealousy and the theme of Order / Disorder, should I be pretty well covered?

ughhh you're so lucky! yep, you will be VERY well covered. i still have 3 poets, 3 othello characters, and all my comparative to do: everything that i'm doing. i should really get on that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 conor563

Casserine wrote: »
    1. Quotation is not as essential as it is in the Poetry and Single Text questions, but I'd say know one or two key quotes, just to impress the examiner. I know a a few (only about three, mind you) choice quotations, which link in with my theme. They illustrate to the examiner that you've activly engaged with your texts and might set you up apart from your fellow classmates. On the other hand, make sure you know them accurately. Misquoted lines will only irritate the examiner!
    2. I'm not 100% sure on this myself, but I think you choose one. For example, mine is the theme of Storytelling. Your theme should be broad enough to allow you to write three man points on, though.
    3. Nah. The aspect you're discussing should be clear from your writing.

I'd say you've a 90%
    chance of getting an question on everything you've covered.

Advertisement