Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theme or Issue - Cultural Context - Literary Genre

Options
  • 04-06-2008 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

I still have trouble distinguishing the differences between them when Im actually writing a comparitive. I'm studying Theme or Issue and Cultural Context. So assuming I know the three texts inside out, I should just study the societies they're set in for cultural context.

For Theme or Issue do I just work with one theme or Issue or multiple ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

your teacher should have given you a parcticular theme or issue...im doing father-son relationships for example...
    Cultural context which im also doing..in short just right a piece on your 2/3 texts your doing.....

Religion
    Class divisions
    social Setting
    Material circumstances...i.e poverty
    Role women
    Male dominated society???
    impact of society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

i was always abit confused abt this aswell. in one essay do u include both theme & issue and cultural context? or are they 2 essays & u have to choose? so for theme & issue, just one theme then? i.e. relationships (thats i think what we covered in school)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Do you need to use that many themes for cultural context?

ye u choose 1..there seperate questions

ok.. and am i right that you don't necessarily always have to compare all 3 texts?

• Advertisement

At least 2 and u choose a anchor text and base the other/s around it

ah right, i get it now, cheers :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

If its a one part question, itll say atleast two.

ALWAYS DO 3. For HL,you ALWAYS need to do 3 if its a single part question.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

Theme or Issue: You should focus on one theme or issue in your 3 texts. You should really have picked a theme by now.

Cultural Context: This is the world in which the characters live in that space the setting of your text. So for example; religious beliefs, political views, family values, social class, family influences, gender in the society (how the male is portrayed? how the female is portrayed?), education, society view on marriage and relationships and entertainment methods (such as drinking alcohol).

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Thanks Soby and LayLay, I get it now, My Theme or Issue is morality. Did it last year. Gonna take a lot of brushing up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement