Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL - Has their act cleaned up?

Options
  • 04-06-2008 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So I ditched NTL about 15 months ago after a couple of months of their routing through Amsterdam shenanigans. It had meant a few months of absolutely no online gaming which I thought was just completely ridiculous.

These days their pricing/bandwidth/caps are looking excellent, and I'm pretty sick of the anaemic 3mb download with BT.

So what I'm asking is, have NTL cleaned up their act? Is it comfortable gaming on an NTL connection these days? Will I sit down and wonder will I have an evening of 300ms or 30ms?

Don't really care about the throttled torrents, have a dedicated server to do the dirty work for me and just http down the finished files.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

6 mb broad band with them.
    On a few servers where i had a ping of 40ms i now have 100 ms.
    On some servers where i had 150ms i have 110 ms.
    Over all it's better, but i have to have wireless because of where the box is placed, so i have to keep taking the the card thing on the pc out and putting it back in.
    But other than that it's grand. good download speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

The problem with NTL is that there could be a problem in a specific location and not nationally.

Best bet would be to test someone's NTL connection in your area .

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

The customer service seems to have improved over the past while. Any time i've needed to call them over the past few weeks i've been straight through.

The double speeds definately help for the gaming side of things. I've always had low pings for the likes of counter-strike and COD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Their customer service is still lousy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

silvine wrote: »
    Their customer service is still lousy though.

I've found it excellent though. My modem went bust recently, I got through to support straight away and they organized an engineer to come in two days later who replaced the modem and away I went.

I also got my 12mb upgrade from the premium support line with no effort - both calls were dealt with in two minutes and no waiting.

I find the ping tiems are dependent on particular servers but for the most part are in a steady 40-55.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I was thinking too of switching from BT to NTL though I'm a little worried the exit strategy with BT will be a bumpy one but I'm already with NTL for cable and it would be nice to have all telecommunications on one bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Why is one bill nicer?

I'm happy to shop in best shops for each product /service. I buy lots in Lidl, but not bread if I can avoid it. I prefer the in shop baked in SOME places.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rewsty

Simply NO, there cutomer service stinks, long delays answering phones, promises to ring you back which never happen and actually accused my girlfriend whos account the name was under of not been the account holder even after confirming she was at the start of the converstion and then hung up on her, and the real crux of the story is there inability to close an account when requested, after fufilling all there requirments including faxing in a letter to there limerick office.

Stay away if you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

watty wrote: »
    Why is one bill nicer?

I'm happy to shop in best shops for each product /service. I buy lots in Lidl, but not bread if I can avoid it. I prefer the in shop baked in SOME places.

I remember reading in some report somewhere that 87% of Europeans would prefer all services from the one provider.......once the price and service was right. I suppose in NTL/Chorus/UPC's (nearly a triple play in itself that name!) case they look like they're getting the mix right. Basic analogue/Digital €20 per month. 3 Meg broadband €20 (I think) per month. €4 phone line and €10 unlimted calls. €54 per month seems pretty good value, given the versatility on offer.

But I suppose it's down to personal choice, and , as Watty has pointed out, if you're prepared to shop around you MIGHT do better. But is it worth the effort, given that price?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Gaming is a little more consistent for me anyway. Still not amazing. Service hasn't changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

They are currently after me for 150Euros because I didn't return the DVR when I canceled. Even tho I was told not to bother by the helpdesk people.
    Aparently I can keep the cable modem and the wireless router. Not sure what to do with a cable modem.
    I rang them and they said they would arrange to collect it. No sign of them yet. That was a week ago.
    The balls in their court I guess, but I'd imagine I'll get another letter from them in a few weeks saying I'm late with payment.
    And I'll be onto them again.
    I had to get rid of the BB because it was Throttled in the TT area.
    And their DVR was nowhere near as good as Sky+ and cost more.

Advertisement