Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Asparagus

• 04-06-2008 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Does anybody know of anywhere in Dublin that sells white asparagus?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's not something you see very often over here, although I think I may have seen some in Lidl or Aldi once. You could try Fallon & Byrne as well I guess .. they often have unusual things, or maybe one of the many "farmer's" markets .. a lot of their organic veg seems to come from the continent where white asparagus is more common.

Anyway, just to make you jealous, I've just come across from a quick visit to the Netherlands, and smuggled over 2 kilos (only €4.50 in the market in Eindhoven) in my Ryanair hand baggage, so I'm alright for a few days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

The only place I've seen it is in Tesco next to the tinned tomatoes.

cozmik wrote: »
    The only place I've seen it is in Tesco next to the tinned tomatoes.
    That's the thin weedy canned/ bottled stuff I assume .. not the same thing at all. Proper fresh white asparagus like they have in Germany and Holland when in season (i.e. right now) is a good 20cm long and 2cm or more in diameter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Alun wrote: »
    That's the thin weedy canned/ bottled stuff I assume .. not the same thing at all. Proper fresh white asparagus like they have in Germany and Holland when in season (i.e. right now) is a good 20cm long and 2cm or more in diameter.

You are right and I know it's not as good as buying it fresh but then where in Ireland can you get fresh white asparagus? Fallon & Byrne only have green and they are way overpriced.

Well, I'm pretty sure I've seen it somewhere, just can't remember where right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

I went into fallon & byrne yesterday and they have green, white and wild asparagus. The white is actually cheaper than the normal green stuff (although at €5-not cheap:pac:)

Advertisement