Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie Ahern - Bookies Nightmare

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

There was no mention of the L word in that post. It could have meant "sty" as in a Sh*t house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Oops, meant to say pier, as in it's a bit queer (strange) all this :D

Come on....Ahern told the revenue he didn't pay rent for living above St. Luke's. He then told the tribunal he did actually pay rent. He didn't tell the truth to either the revenue or the tribunal! When I don't tell the truth I am telling lies. Maybe Mr. Ahern has a different moral compass than me which enables him to tell untruths without them being lies :confused:

dresden8 wrote: »
    There was no mention of the L word in that post. It could have meant "sty" as in a Sh*t house.
    lol.
    Yeah and today is not saturday.
    It is the day after friday though and the day before sunday and it rhymes with a song I once heard called pat her there.

By the way why would Ahern be lodging sterling into bank accounts in Dublin if it was corrupt monies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

dresden8 wrote: »
    there Was No Mention Of The L Word In That Post. It Could Have Meant "sty" As In A Sh*t House.
    murphaph wrote: »
    oops, Meant To Say Pier, As In It's A Bit Queer (strange) All This :d
    :

Lol

Edit: Interestingly, Senan Molony in today's Indo called Bertie a "self-serving serial deceiver".
    TBH i feel a bit sorry for him at this stage- but he just keeps on digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,996 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When I don't tell the truth I am telling lies.

Not necessarily. If you intend to deceive, you are lying. If you say something in good faith which turns out to be incorrect, you did not lie. You know what Ahern said but not his intent, it is the job of the tribunal to decide that. I'm saying this NOT as an Ahern supporter by any means, but as someone who wouldn't like to see boards sued for libel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,996 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

tech77 wrote: »
    Interestingly, Senan Molony in today's Indo called Bertie a "self-serving serial deceiver".

That's one way journalists can get their message across without using the L word (and possibly being sued for another L word, libel.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

OK, so we're not allowed use the "L" word because, despite blatant untruths, the level of intent behind those untruths is unclear - is that an accurate sum-up ?

So where does that leave the "why didn't you tell me you had proof when Grainne Carruth was called to the stand" ?

Firstly, they had given him proof - in advance. He just didn't tell Carruth. So is the above a "l--" ?

Secondly, what innocent person needs to know in advance that the people he will be telling his story to have proof ? If he's setting out to tell the truth then it won't matter whether or not those asking have proof, because it will still be the truth.

BUT if he's only going to tell the truth on condition that the askers have proof, then doesn't that indicate an intention to deceive, if he can get away with it ?

And no, I don't know the answer, but aren't the above the only logical conclusions ? If not, feel free to post, because I am genuinely asking if there is still another credible explanation for all of the untruths, new revelations, twisting, turning and back-tracking.......I can't see one, but if someone can give me one it'll be refreshing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

lol.

By the way why would Ahern be lodging sterling into bank accounts in Dublin if it was corrupt monies?

Maybe because he thought he'd never get hauled up in front of a tribunal to explain all this nonsense. Not wanting to use the l word but is there anyone that thinks he's actually telling the truth.

A seven strong legal team and the formor leader of the land and I won it on the horses is the best he can come up with. When are people going to wake up and stop voting for Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Maybe because he thought he'd never get hauled up in front of a tribunal to explain all this nonsense. Not wanting to use the l word but is there anyone that thinks he's actually telling the truth.

A seven strong legal team and the formor leader of the land and I won it on the horses is the best he can come up with. When are people going to wake up and stop voting for Fianna Fail.

I prefer "it was a present from my mother' or 'a political donation for personal use"

BTW if he won the money in the UK doe he avoid tax issues here?
    Would he have needed keep reciepts for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

is there anyone that thinks he's actually telling the truth.
    The fact you posted this at 11.48 and 8 hours later nobody has replied "yes" would suggest the answer is actually "no". I know I haven't believed a word out of his (or his colleagues') mouth(s) for a long while.
    I don't know. I stopped 2 elections back (had previously only voted FF) and will not vote for them again for a long long time I reckon. They still have an extraordinary arrogance and belief that they are the natural party of government. The Tories used to feel that too....a long spell in opposition has changed that and changed them. FF deserve a long stint in opposition, however one has to question the efficacy of the current opposition on taking the government to task. I believe it's getting better but ultimately the people are a soft touch and even Ahern was pretty much left alone during the last elections for fear of alienating the electorate. I wanted Kenny to tear into him but it never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

the disgraced former taoisach bertie is such a sleazoid

i hope he goes straight to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I wanted Kenny to tear into him but it never happened.

The only time Kenny opened his mouth was to say what a great job Bertie was doing in the North and he should be left alone.

What a muppet.

Advertisement