Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is responsible for maintenance of hedge?

• 04-06-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this. My house backs on to another house and there is a very tall hedge, 10ft, between us. Our back gardens are very short so this hedge is very valuable in terms of my privacy. I keep the hedge well trimmed on my end but my neighbour doesn't and as a result, is wild on his side. He says that the hedge is mine and my responsibility. Granted, the hedge is planted on my side of the boundary. By the way the hedge could have planted 50 years ago or more.

Am I responsible for the hedge in his garden? He implied if he or his children were injured by the hedge, it would my responsibility.

In my front garden, I trim my side of the hedges and my neighbours trim their side. I don't care what side of the boundary they are planted.

He would love to cut it down to 4 ft high which is out of the question. I suggested he get a quote for a tall wall.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Sorry, no legal advice allowed. Go to your solicitor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

For the love of god for the extra few inches just keep it trimmed on top. We dont all have ideal neighbors so there is no guarantee he will keep the other side of it clean but at least the top and side facing you is kept clean.

I have no idea who's responsibility it is, I could make a wild guess as I would have thought it was fairly obvious. But, no legal advise can be given. As said by Johnny - speak with a solicitor. :)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Thanks Johnny Utah and Sully for your responses. I do keep the hedge well trimmed on my side and on top. I just thought there was a simple answer. I take your points that to get a answer I need to contact a solicitor. Though I hope it never comes to that.

What do they say? High walls = good neighbours.

Advertisement