Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

points and stuff.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What is ideal is designated bright LED daytime driving lights. Less energy consumption than parking lights and really good visibility (by others)

Got me a pair and wouldn't want to be without them

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

and they look like front fogs, so you appear cool.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

peasant wrote: »
    What is ideal is designated bright LED daytime driving lights. Less energy consumption than parking lights and really good visibility (by others)

Got me a pair and wouldn't want to be without them

Yup, my parking lights dont work via the indicator method.

I have high intensity white LED's for parking lights. At night time, they are visible as bright as normal lights, but dont project the light out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I find those daytime LEDS on the those Audis very distorting. Admittedly, you'll see them as soon as they round the nearest bend , but seriously,within 150 yds they just jar my vision.
    What's wrong with normal parks? They're just a statement imo.
    Has any other european country banned or taken any moves against them yet??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ... but I'm sick of people overtaking on the inside and swapping lanes to get ahead,
    The rule is simple - keep keft, pass right.

(from the person in the outside lane's point of view, they try to change lane, see no car to the left behind them, then you pass on the inside with no headlights on. you were lucky the cops were so lenient)

In a society where the majority of people insist on driving in the right lane at a ridiculously slow speed, deliberately blocking traffic behind them there is simply no option but to drive on by them in the left lane (if clear). And what difference does it make. You should never change lane left or right unless your way is clear - unless your stupid and looking for a crash.
    If you ever see someone '"undertaking"' in the left lane and moving in to the right lane ahead, then don't blame them but the fxkwit that was blocking the right lane in the interim. If all concerned are aware of whats going on around them, using their mirrors, checking their blindspots then everything should be ok anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

knird evol wrote: »
    In a society where the majority of people insist on driving in the right lane at a ridiculously slow speed, deliberately blocking traffic behind them there is simply no option but to drive on by them in the left lane (if clear). And what difference does it make. You should never change lane left or right unless your way is clear - unless your stupid and looking for a crash.
    If you ever see someone '"undertaking"' in the left lane and moving in to the right lane ahead, then don't blame them but the fxkwit that was blocking the right lane in the interim. If all concerned are aware of whats going on around them, using their mirrors, checking their blindspots then everything should be ok anyway.

There is the tiny matter of it being against the law.

On that basis, sure lets all drive through red lights at junctions.
    just make sure your way is clear and that all concerned are constantly looking out for people doing it. What could go wrong?

It's a bit of a mystery to me how you can presume that the "fxwit"s hogging the oustide lane would be using their mirrors, checking their blindspots or even be aware that they weren't alone on the road.
    The principle is simple. Keep left - Pass right. this gives a number of benefits:

It means that slower moving traffic is kept to the left, making it easier for cars to enter/exit the road

It means that people can change lane on the approach to an exit without the traffic to the left of them moving faster than the lane they're in.

It makes 3 lane roads a lot safer in that you're unlikely to have a car in lane 2 and lane 3 both going for the same piece of tarmac in lane 2 at the same time to make an overtaking manouver

It reduces the need to weave between lanes.

All this takes for lane disipline, is enforcement by the Gardai and education through signs, radio/TV adverts , and driving instructors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

erm were the gards not breaking the law by driving in the right hand lane when there was no trafic in the left lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

staker wrote: »
    [LEDs]
    Has any other european country banned or taken any moves against them yet??

No, and don't hold your breath. LEDs are vastly more energy efficient, and will probably become the standard as time goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

colm_mcm wrote: »
    All this takes for lane disipline, is enforcement by the Gardai and education through signs, radio/TV adverts , and driving instructors

Or we could just admit that no-one in Ireland understands lane discipline, and change to the American system where you can pass on either side. As roads acquire more and more lanes, it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zube wrote: »
    No, and don't hold your breath. LEDs are vastly more energy efficient, and will probably become the standard as time goes on.

Indeed I could see them becoming legally required in some European countries (Scandinavian ones, possibly) in the medium term.

• Advertisement
Advertisement