Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Open 2008 Thread

• 04-06-2008 7:36pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The UK open aka The FA Cup of Darts starts tomorrow night on Sky Sports at 7pm. I love this competition because anything can happen with the pub players coming up against the best players in the world. We also have the womens current world champion in the competition as well, Anastasia Dobromyslova who comes up against new PDC recruit Richard Thornton.

The line up for tomorrow night can be found here:
    http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/UKOpenDetail/0,,10180~1313574,00.html

Barney is going for a hat-trick of titles but I don't think he is playing well enough to win it. Can't see past Taylor really but expect the unexpected in this tournament.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Am actually heading over for this in the morning.......cant wait......suppose to be a great atmosphere.

Done an e/w bet on adrian lewis 25/1 and ronnie baxter 80/1......just for interest........like you say kingp its taylors to lose really he is one fire at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HITMANHEALY

Kirk Shepherd Looks A Good Bet At 11/10 For Tonights Match

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

First shock of the tournament John kuyzinski (sp) beaten by pub qualifier John Haynes. Scott Waites looked very good winning his first match 6-0. Waites could go very far in this tournament.

Really looking forward to Anastasia's game, hope she can win! 13-2 with the bookies, worth a punt :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Thornton beats Anna 6-5 in a very entertaining match. Anna had chances in the match too. have to say she is a decent player and hopefully she tries to enter some of the other tournaments. Would add something a lot different to the PDC if a woman player can mix it with the lads.

Scott Waites has won hi first round match pretty easily again by beating Nicky Turner 6-3.

Priestley 5-0 up and strolling into the second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HITMANHEALY

Kirk Shepherd Looks A Good Bet At 11/10 For Tonights Match

kirk won 6-4 had a few euros on him happy days!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The first 10 legs of Thornton and Van Gerwans match earlier on was unreal..6 100+ finishes in a row fast paced..perfect darts match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Main Stage
    James Wade vs Ronnie Baxter
    Andy Hamilton vs Raymond Barneveld
    Vincent van der Voort vs Jelle Klaasen
    Wayne Jones vs John Part

Board Two
    Chris Thompson vs Brendan Dolan
    Simon Whatley vs Alan Tabern
    Gary Mawson vs Mark Dudbridge
    Wes Newton vs Phil Taylor

Another nine darter for Taylor in Bolton against Jaimie Harvey earlier. I was disappointed to see both Bob Thornton and Scott Waites go out to Alana Tabern and Ronnie Baxter.

Good result for Brendan Dolan putting out Adrian Lewis, and fair play to Jason Barry for giving Raymond Barneveld a good game.

Some good looking games in round five with Hamilton/Barneveld and Van der Voort / Klassen the picks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

This match Taylor Barney is brilliant

Twists and Turns in the game everywhere

8-8 Currently

Taylor for a 167 and just missed it, gave out to some fan about heckling while he was shooting it.

9-8 now, barney looks strong as taylor needs 2 on the trot to steal this

What a match, lets have it right, either player would have been a worthy winner of that match, but i'll be honest, im delighted that taylor is out because i'd love to see someone new take a title, if barney retains it, fair play, but i'll like to see tabern or wade take the whole thing

Great performance there from Gary Mawson to knock out barney. yeah Barney wasn't at his best but Mawson played some great darts and deserves his final place. He seems like a top bloke as well.

James Wade was just too good for Van Der Voort, he is in great form and has to be the favourite for the final. Mawson just showed he has the quality to cause Wade problems so don't write him off. Looking forward to it now.

• Advertisement

I put a tenner on van der voort and 4 quid on mawson thinking he was the longer shot to actually win his match

but i felt i had to back the long shots with it being the uk open

so mawson won me 40 quid, so im a new found fan :D

cant believe he only was on 9-1 to beat barney having never been anywhere in a proper televised tournament, i would have thought the bookies would have had him at huge odds

Well he has played pretty well over the weekend so it wouldn't make since to put him at huge odds. Fair play for backing him though.

I would like to see him win the final.

yeah i threw a 5er of my winnings on him to beat wade

i'll use the rest on euro 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

cant believe he only was on 9-1 to beat barney having never been anywhere in a proper televised tournament, i would have thought the bookies would have had him at huge odds

You have to look past the televised tourney's, Awesome Mawson had beaten him twice before!!

Aye but the televised tournaments have bigger crowds, bigger pay checks and bigger pressure

normally someone doesnt come from nowhere and get to a final of such an event. only standout name in my head is kirk sheppard

i think the bookies having watched barney taylor had to think barney was going to win, and how

but he didnt and i guess prudence on the half of bookies paid off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

What was Mawson's problem with Rod Harrington last night? I'm not Rod's biggest fan but you couldn't accuse him of being anti-Mawson, he backed Barney to win with fairly decent proof. Barney just beats an potentially unbeatable Taylor after Phil does another 9-darter, I don't think anyone including myself gave Mawson much hope but Barney does seem to suffer from Semi-final fatigue. He's been beaten in the premier league, matchplay, grand prix and now UK Open at the semi's.

Great tournamount all around, it's rekindled my love of darts after the premier league borefest.

And SKY - Please don't pipe in crowd noise for Vegas!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

This all just seemed very rushed to me, The quarters to the final all in the same day. It just didn't draw me in as I couldn't keep track of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

This all just seemed very rushed to me, The quarters to the final all in the same day. It just didn't draw me in as I couldn't keep track of everything.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Watched the whole thing from Friday evening on, some great matches and so much going on. A real stamina test that really separates the men from the boys.
    For example, as things stand I could never imagine the more "flamboyant" players like Lewis or Mardle coming out on top of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

One of the worst finals of a major tournie ive ever seen..For the quality of Darts thrown that is..

I think the UK Open is a terrific tournament. I love the way that they have to play a few games each day, it really does seperate the men from the boys in that you have to have great concentration to get through all the games. The bigger players dont like playing on the floor boards either as anything can happen. Great tournament.

Yeah the final was a poor standard alright but I do like seeing a player in the final that has never been there before, it would get boring if it was the same guys all the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement