Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any advice?

Options
  • 04-06-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on the best way to go about creating an interactive map for my web page.
    I'd like to use a large hand drawn .jpeg of Europe and use it as my index. Each region on the map is a link to a different page. I want to make all the regions blank, showing text only when the cursor rolls over them.
    I use coffeecup editor and have macromedia flash 8 & photoshop cs2. Can anyone give any tips on the best/easiest way to go about this?
    Any help would be much appreciated,
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Going on what software is available to you, the easiest thing to do is just make image maps over the countries and alt tags.

You could do something in flash like countries changing color on rollover as well as text.

You don't say what your capabilities are though? Novice?
    ball ox wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on the best way to go about creating an interactive map for my web page.
    I'd like to use a large hand drawn .jpeg of Europe and use it as my index. Each region on the map is a link to a different page. I want to make all the regions blank, showing text only when the cursor rolls over them.
    I use coffeecup editor and have macromedia flash 8 & photoshop cs2. Can anyone give any tips on the best/easiest way to go about this?
    Any help would be much appreciated,
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Huggles wrote: »
    Going on what software is available to you, the easiest thing to do is just make image maps over the countries and alt tags.

You could do something in flash like countries changing color on rollover as well as text.

You don't say what your capabilities are though? Novice?

Yeah I'd be novice alright. What you have suggested seems do-able though, just checked out image maps and it looks pretty handy. I'll give it a go anyway. Thanks a million, didnt think id get such a helpful reply so quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

this was something I blogged about before ...

http://www.fegi.ru/geohtml/down.htm

It was free and it did the job for me ... alternatively if you have photoshop you can do it with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Huggles wrote: »
    You could also do that with a basic image swap in HTML

9 countries = 10 images
    1 = no country coloured (initial state)
    +1 for each country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    You could also do that with a basic image swap in HTML

9 countries = 10 images
    1 = no country coloured (initial state)
    +1 for each country
    Maybe 1 large image with all combinations in it and CSS/:hover used to show the appropriate offsets.
    I'm sure the map can be well compressed by GIF/PNG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

daymobrew wrote: »
    Maybe 1 large image with all combinations in it and CSS/:hover used to show the appropriate offsets.
    I'm sure the map can be well compressed by GIF/PNG.

Yup - probably the best idea but could be a tough one for a newbie ?

Advertisement