Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physical Tension / Meditation

Options
  • 04-06-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I find lately when I get a block that the back of my neck gets tense. I can feel tension building up till I get through the block. Does anyone else ever get this?

Also has anyone ever tried meditation to help themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I have tried relaxation techniques too recently to help ease tension. Systematic Relaxation Pack by Roy Bailey was recommended to me

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Michael O Shea

Hi Stephen,
    Do you experiance the neck tension before during and after the speech block, for example do you experiance the nervious tension before you actually speak, is it still there during the speaking situation and does it continue for long after the speaking situation?
    Speak soon,
    Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Hi Michael, the neck tension comes during the block and only lasts as long as the block does. It only ever seems to happen when I'm on the phone in work and at that only its sometimes when I block. Could it be that I'm trying to resist blocking so much that I get neck tension?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Michael O Shea

Hi Steven,
    It puzzels me that you only get the tension on the phone in work, is there any other phone situations that it occurs as well?

When I ask the question about tension to people who stammer the vast majority say that they have increased neck tension before and during a feared speaking situation with a decrease in tension after the speaking situation is over including the blocks, I would have included myself in this category, the phone in any situation would have increased my neck tension dramatically up until a few years ago I would not use the phone unless I absolutely had too.

Are you an overt or covert stammerer Steven? I was very overt.

Speak soon,
    Michael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

EF wrote: »
    I have tried relaxation techniques too recently to help ease tension. Systematic Relaxation Pack by Roy Bailey was recommended to me

was this any good? Where can you get it and how much?

• Advertisement

Macca206 wrote: »
    was this any good? Where can you get it and how much?

I found it pretty good alright. I only had a loan of it so got to use it for the short term but it is all about relaxing each limb basically one by one. A relaxed body is very helpful to achieve controlled speech I find! If I am not relaxed any chance of using a technique to control blocks usually goes out the window because I am just too tense.
    I had a quick look online for it and I could only find it on waterstones website. It comes with a cd too (it used to come with a tape) with the voice of a man or woman guiding you through.

Thanks EF.. what other techniques (as mentioned) do you try?

Macca206 wrote: »
    Thanks EF.. what other techniques (as mentioned) do you try?

Well I dont have one single technique I use. What I am trying to do is to change the thoughts I have about speaking (i.e from negative to positive) by analysing specific speaking situations which I enter into.

Normally I would be thinking I will probably block here when I enter difficult speaking situations but lately, and after a considerable amount of time analysing these thoughts, I am able to control my speech much better. If I do feel a block coming I would stop just for half a second or so and try and use a technique to get past it by making a soft contact, repeating the first sound, prolonging the first sound for example. Depending what the sound is, I change what I do. It is not something that happened overnight though & I am sure I will have less controlled periods too.

Have you any techniques Macca?

I have tried mediation and try to take deep breaths before speaking. Also if feeling anxious I look up in the air which helps relieve stress. Sadly none are 100~% great so far

Advertisement