Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working with Animals abroad

Options
  • 04-06-2008 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

(If wrong forum Mods, apologies, could you please move it)

Hi all, sitting my LC at the moment and when I've got my results I plan to leave the country.
    I've had one goal all my life and that is to work with animals. Ideally I would like to work with the big 5 in Africa or something similar in New Zealand but with time running out and my research not exactly turning up trumps I turn to the boundless wisdom of the Boardsies!
    What I hope to do:

-Work with Animals.
    -Get payed enough to live in the given area, not in it to make money.
    -Or being housed by the company I would be working for.

The closest I have found is a company that I pay so I can go over and cut down wild fauna that shouldn't be there. I hope someone can help. My funds are limited to whatever I can earn over the summer and whatever I can sell my car for (not alot).

Please help if you can can, any advice/ideas welcome. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Abroad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I applaude you for what you're trying to do, but this is going to be extremely difficult if you're not a qualified vetinerary nurse or vet.

If you're not used to working with animals (especially large ones!), it could prove to be quite dangerous, you're going to need constant supervision, and serious insurance! Very few companies are going to be willing to take someone on and pay them if they're not able to provide serious animal care in return.

Can I suggest you do this? Take a job in Ireland for the moment, and volunteer in an animal shelter/rescue in the evenings and/or weekends (plenty of them need people to walk/feed dogs/pups etc). In the mean time, save up enough to travel abroad for a couple of weeks and pay a reputable animal shelter or a game park in Africa etc to work with them for a couple of weeks. That way, you'll be paying for some great experience, and your money will go towards endangered or sick animals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The only thing I can think of, besides what Glowing said, is to do a Zoology degree. Are you picturing yourself as a Steve Irwin type? It's not an easy area to get into with no qualifications! You'd need to start small, volunteering at a zoo or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

I kind of figured I wouldn't be able to dive in head first, but it was worth a shot. Problem is Dublin Zoo are vary wary of taking volunteers to work with Animals, you an volunteer to be a tour guide or a conservationist no problems but that's not the most relevant of experience. They havent returned a number of emails Ive sent them which is quite rude.

Thanks for the advice guys, I had previously sourced animal shelters but they're usually family run or very far away.

I have a friend who went to Florida for 6 months last summer and was working with primates, I think. I'll ask her how she got that. She is studying zoology though.

• Advertisement

have a look at www.petsireland.invisionzone.com - there is a help needed forum. If you have a car, they always need help in walking/transporting animals, and doing home checks too.

Edit: Have you thought about studying in the area? My sister is doing a vet nursing degree -she works for most of the year in a surgery, and has stints in U.C.D, and exams - there is also plenty of practical experience in Lyons estate for example .....

... this might get better feedback in the Pets & Animals forum?! .....

Glowing wrote: »
    ... this might get better feedback in the Pets & Animals forum?! .....

That's true, I'll move it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

It would be worth looking in job sections of magazines such as 'New Scientist', but they probably have more jobs of observing rather than actually interacting with animals, but it would be worth a look anyway. Might help to have some qualifications behind you, like Zoology as mentioned above, or even a Fetac Animal Care course.

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

BJC wrote: »
    I kind of figured I wouldn't be able to dive in head first, but it was worth a shot. Problem is Dublin Zoo are vary wary of taking volunteers to work with Animals, you an volunteer to be a tour guide or a conservationist no problems but that's not the most relevant of experience. They havent returned a number of emails Ive sent them which is quite rude.

Coming from someone who works in Dublin Zoo they get literally hundreds of emails every day from people looking to do volunteer work. I can see why people would want to volunteer but there's just too many applications for very few vacancies so sorry that they didn't get back to you but in all honesty they'd need to hire someone just to reply to those emails alone every day and it's just not a priority.

I did Zoology. If you want any information or help about that PM me. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Dublin Zoo is a business, they don't *need* volunteers as such. Am I correct in saying that Clare_bear?

Somewhere like Borneo for example, the orangutan's rescue centres need help (they're being wiped out by palm oil plantations) and they don't have the funding or government support to hire staff - that's the type of place that would *need* your help!

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Coming from someone who works in Dublin Zoo they get literally hundreds of emails every day from people looking to do volunteer work. I can see why people would want to volunteer but there's just too many applications for very few vacancies so sorry that they didn't get back to you but in all honesty they'd need to hire someone just to reply to those emails alone every day and it's just not a priority.

I did Zoology. If you want any information or help about that PM me. Good luck.

Ah right, thats fair enough I guess. So is there anyway to get into the caring for animals side of the zoo with out having a degree in zoology?

Why don't you get a job in a vet's as a trainee nurse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

You are very unlikely to get paid work in any sort of animal centres abroad IMO if you do not have any qualifications. I think that if you are serious about this, apply for veterinary nursing or similar animal care / zoology courses. In that way, you will be of far more use to foreign companies, they will be much more likely to employ you. I certainly would suggest taking some time to do some volunteer work in the meantime, to make sure its really what you want to do. A lot of people have a very romantic idea of working with animals, in reality it can be extremely hard work and very upsetting at times. There is a fantastic rescue in the centre of Spain who are always crying out for volunteers to help out, they have up to 600 dogs at a time and could really use with a willing pair of hands. As far as I know, they have facilities to house a small number of volunteers on site. They are called 'Scooby Medina', and have a very helpful website. Also you will be exposed to conditions abroad which, sad to say, are not what we are used to here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

BJC wrote: »
    Ah right, thats fair enough I guess. So is there anyway to get into the caring for animals side of the zoo with out having a degree in zoology?

Eh, you could do a course in animal husbandry, you might have to go to England for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What are the 'big 5'?

What about qualifying as an exotic animal trainer? This is said to be the top place in the world: http://www.moorparkcollege.edu/current_students/teaching_zoo/index.shtml

Or is it observation you want? Then you want to study zoology and go to work somewhere like - I'm not experienced here and don't know what's currently great, so ask around - Gerald Durrell's famous zoo in Jersey, where they pioneered the use of zoos as conservation centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Big 5 is a term coined by African game hunters, the five most difficult animals to hunt - lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, cape buffalo.

Oh and there are still organisations that organise hunting safaris to hunt these animals

Demonique wrote: »
    Big 5 is a term coined by African game hunters, the five most difficult animals to hunt - lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, cape buffalo.

Oh and there are still organisations that organise hunting safaris to hunt these animals

Disgusting.

But there are also organisations that 'hunt' them with cameras - much more sensible for conserving a tourism resource.

The zoo I linked, by the way, trains animals not for show, but for veterinary purposes and the like. For instance, if you want to give an injection to a lion, it's handy for the lion to be trained to lean against the side of the cage and expect a small pinch.

But it's not easy to get into - it's a tough course, requiring behavioural science as well as other zoological qualifications.

You'd need a good Leaving; if necessary, of course, you can change schools and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭theonlygirl

I can recommend a monkey sanctuary in South Africa where I volunteered. It's called the Vervet Monkey Sanctuary and it is probably the most hands-on work experience you will get with animals if you have no qualification. I helped integrate new monkeys into a troop and this basically puts you right into their world - you'll get bitten, peed on, pooed on, puked on - but it is so worth it when you see a new member of a troop settling in successfully! There's also lots and lots of babies that need constant care during baby season (Nov-Jan). I can't recommend the place highly enough, the work they do is amazing.

You won't get paid, and you will have to pay a placement fee and your own flight, but I did this by fundraising so it doesn't have to come out of your own pocket. If you contact the foundation directly they can send you some information to help you with your fundraising - having seen the work they do first hand, it's such a worthy cause! I organised sponsored parachute jumps, table quizzes etc. and I had enough to book it after 3 months.

When you get over the there the few personal savings you have go really far - at the moment it is about 12rand per euro - put into perspective 5 rand will buy you a beer! Very cheap living! All your accomodation and meals are included in your placecment. Accomodation is very basic - you live in a tent village with no running water, no electricity, and eco-friendly bush toilets! Sounds grim but it only adds to the whole experience, it's brilliant fun. There's a volunteer house with a bar and games room you can hang out in too so it's not all doom and gloom.

Check out the site http://www.enviro.co.za/

PM me if you've any questions, I lived there for 3 months and am going back in September, you'll have the most amazing experienc of your life here!

Thing is, OP, it's worth getting a degree. It smooths your path a lot. Sure, take a couple of years after school and get what animal work you can - but if you want nice work with animals, you're going to need a good degree.

But don't worry - when you really want it, you'll find yourself magically driven to study for it!

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your advice, I think the best way to go is take a course in animal husbandry as suggested above. I am very seriously considering volunteering for the vervet monkey foundation also. Especially as it's so close to Kruger national park!

And if you volunteer in VMF they have a designated guide for Kruger who will bring you at a reduced rate and he's been touring it for years so knows all the best spots in the park!

And if you volunteer in VMF they have a designated guide for Kruger who will bring you at a reduced rate and he's been touring it for years so knows all the best spots in the park!

An added bonus! I Pm'd you. Did you not get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Demonique wrote: »

Meh, they are Africa`s pigs cows and sheep. If they have a good life and more importantly bring in income whats the prob? You can charge a lot more for hunting than for taking photographs.

Theonlygirl, how much did you have to pay initially? Was this just to cover cost. I'm just curious since a local could have done the work. Not downplaying what you are doing but I'm generally cynical about these things.

Meh, they are Africa`s pigs cows and sheep. If they have a good life and more importantly bring in income whats the prob? You can charge a lot more for hunting than for taking photographs.

a) they are endangered species
    b) it is illegal in every country because they're endangered species
    c) if the animals are raised for hunting, the hunters are basically shooting down pets
    d) money made like that will bring you no luck

Theonlygirl, how much did you have to pay initially? Was this just to cover cost. I'm just curious since a local could have done the work. Not downplaying what you are doing but I'm generally cynical about these things.

Locals do the work, the foundation has the added bonus of supporting a Sutu tribe who work and live on the land. You work side by side with them all day doing different jobs, so not only does your money help a beautiful species of primate, it also goes pays the tribes wages, which are substantially more than workers in the same region would get for other jobs. My stay of 2 months cost a little over 1000 euro, and that included all my meals, accomodation, local transport. The sanctuary is in the middle of nowhere and there are upwards of 700 monkeys there now, volunteers are very much appreciated in every sense I can assure you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

Dunno if this is of any relevance but i thought i'd share with u a place i volunteered.
    It's a the turtle conservation society of greece, loggerhead sea turtles. And its such an amazinf experience. I would really recommend it.
    You do work your ass off but it's well worth it.
    You do night surveys during the nesting season (end of may- july) where you get to see the mothers nesting. do morning surveys to pretect the nests that were layed the night before (from foxes etc. by laying grids on the top of them) and when the hatchling season comes (end of july - october) its the best time ever, theyre so cool to see. Anyways just thought i'd tell you, and its relativly cheap. I've known people to have gone for two summers and the following year to become leader of the project, which you get paid for. Theres a couple of different projects around greece (crete, kyparissia, crete) but the best is kyparissia, the one i went to.

the website is www.archelon.gr

Check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

After your leaving cert you should go straight to college if possible and study either zoology or biology anything like that will get you further into the field. Over the summer sometimes Dub zoo run courses (or at least they used to you'd have to check) it used to be every sunday and you can voluneer there during the summer through the course. This might of changed now but no harm in asking.

At the moment working abroad with animals and no qualifications would be very difficult so I would suggest going and studying instead.

Check out Jersey zoo as well they run courses for people in other countries once they have finished their work at jersey zoo they are sent back to their home country to deal with wildlife conservation there. No idea if it covers Ireland but it's a good place to visit if anything.

Anytime you plan a weekend away or going on holidays pick a different wildlife park every time eg a zoo in the uk like Marwell one time then perhaps a nature reserve in Ireland and then if going further afield there are tons of places to choose from. That way you will be able to see how diff areas of conservation work and what other options could be open to you.

You prob did this in school anyway but no harm in having really good computer skills as well.

Advertisement