Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An unlikely "pick up" from the Irish Times...

Options
  • 04-06-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Heres my interesting story about today....

I had just finished my paper one English exam and went for coffee with my sister doing the jc, my mother and my other brother. While we were waiting for the order I picked up the Irish Times and begun reading the Leaving Cert. There was a little section at the bottom called "blogwatch, by the students in their own words.". So I begin reading and next thing I come across this:
    Dont you think 20 is a bit conservative? I was thinking of learning more like 100. Not that i would put that many in one answer, just to be covered for all eventualities.

Hmmm ... sounds very familiar indeed. Then it clicked....

Without sounding sappy, it made me smile properly for the first time in weeks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

And this is one of the better newspapers...

"blogwatch" ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Every single one of those quotes came off this board. May as well call it boards watch. I wonder does boards.ie get much traffic as a result.

They've done it before, too, if I recall.

Whatever it is... we're being watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Heh, weird that they didn't let you know they were using your quote.

I'd like to see that, actually. Did they do it last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

We should make them advertise the site, and if they refuse, sue them :cool:

Still funny though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

That is so cool. You're famous so ya are.

Hey Irish Times people... well actually I don't have anything to say.

I feel like Truman taking to Christof:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

They're advertising it in a way by citing boards.ie as the source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

They're advertising it in a way by citing boards.ie as the source.
    Ah right, I didn't realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I hate the Irish Times.

They're nothing but a shower of pretencious arseholes who couldn't write a story if their lives depended on it.

¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

They've taken a few pieces from my blog in recent weeks, always say "from Mark Walsh of Walsho.com" - so they do take blogs now and again! I was asked for my permission for this. I like it, it's nice seeing something you've written be taken for a national newspaper, and it usually gets me a few extra hits each time, so I'm not complaining.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Did they credit Boards though? That bit wasnt clear to me...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

Yes.
    "-boards.ie" generally follows the quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

turgon wrote: »

I had just finished my paper one English exam and went for coffee with my sister doing the jc, my mother and my other brother. While we were waiting for the order I picked up the Irish Times and begun reading the Leaving Cert. There was a little section at the bottom called "blogwatch, by the students in their own words.". So I begin reading and next thing I come across this:

Aw. That's So Cute And Nice.

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

http://www.ireland.com/search/?rm=listresults&filter=datedesc&keywords=boards.ie&submit=Search

Almost all of them have 'From Boards.ie' or something similar (on the online version anyway, haven't seen it in print).

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Awwwwwwwwwww:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

woo im in there aswell haha
    irish times
    How was English paper II?

I know it can't seem like a good sign. I was out at 12 but i was really happy . . . Brilliant paper. Othello the exception. Questions weren't great. Poetry - had it done by 9.50 flew through it . . . had the answer in my head just wrote it down . . . two and a half pages for that . . . 3 for Othello . . . I'm really happy with poetry though . . . everyone shoulda had at least one of em studied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Timans wrote: »
    I hate the Irish Times.

They're nothing but a shower of pretencious arseholes who couldn't write a story if their lives depended on it.

I used to love the Times, lately it's like some form of Fianna Fail version of Pravda. It's coverage of the Lisbon Treaty has been absolutely hilarious, Madame Editor is leading the way for the government anyway.

Between that, and a certain writer on the Leaving Cert page- we'll be saving a few quid next week.

They are undoubtably pretentious, the magazine shows that clearly. Outside their three or four fenced off leafy suburbs, you wonder who gets anything out of it.

Leaving Cert coverage will always be a little bit annoying when you're doing the exams but.....
    I like the Sunday Tribune, for what its worth :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Awwwwwwwwwww:p

Does anyone feel the subtle hint of jealousy??? Only jokin, orangetictac is the man for emailing exam papers and giving you a hand. Thanks orangetictac.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,539 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well if they're crediting boards thats cool I guess.

If they're listening though I'd just love for them to spotlight how ridiculously easy it is to cheat on these exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Overheal wrote: »
    well if they're crediting boards thats cool I guess.

If they're listening though I'd just love for them to spotlight how ridiculously easy it is to cheat on these exams.

!!!:O

Then it would be harder for people to cheat!

I'm joking Irish Times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 scraic

I'd never heard of this site til i saw it on the irish times If a reputable paper like the times prints blogs i thought this blog would be worth checkin out So thanks to the times! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bitterstudent

I dunno, I like the times, even before they printed my stuff :D
    Really enjoy the politics section, and the Dail sketch. The leaving cert sections in the newspapers are a good read- Even if we hate the writers, ;) We will still read it so its a win-win situation for the times especially (with Laura Brady). All the bitching about Laura Brady is just more publicity. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Heh, weird that they didn't let you know they were using your quote.

I'd like to see that, actually. Did they do it last year?

Its a public board, so they can quote what they like as it seems. In our case tho they needed permission before using our content.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Weirdly "ironic", unrelated factoid:

My grandfather was head printer of the Times. I grew up reading it as he got a copy everyday. Its far better then just about any other newspaper I have read anywhere int he world (though that says more about those other "newspapers". The Times would only get a rating of "good" from me).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

People do realise I was joking when I said that.. yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

wow omg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I used to love the Times, lately it's like some form of Fianna Fail version of Pravda. It's coverage of the Lisbon Treaty has been absolutely hilarious, Madame Editor is leading the way for the government anyway.

Between that, and a certain writer on the Leaving Cert page- we'll be saving a few quid next week.

They are undoubtably pretentious, the magazine shows that clearly. Outside their three or four fenced off leafy suburbs, you wonder who gets anything out of it.

Leaving Cert coverage will always be a little bit annoying when you're doing the exams but.....
    I like the Sunday Tribune, for what its worth :pac:

Just because it doesnt provide the shock horror glossy pictures or the latest celebrity gossip does not mean its pretentious.
    The Irish Times is the most informative paper in Ireland, once you read the actually stories and not judge it by the pictures.
    Its targeted towards business people, how is that pretentious?
    It just so happens successful people read it, and they happen to live in your so called "leafy suburbs".
    The coverage on the Lisbon treaty has been completely down the middle, and offers many angles every day.
    The irish times has some of the best up and coming Journalists, and think you will find that "Madame" is in fact one of the best journalists of our time and the decades before we were born.
    Also, how can a magazine be pretentious? It gives accounts of achievements of people, recipes, and fashion.
    The other supplements are excellent. The ticket is far better than day and night.
    The new travel mag, Go, is one of the best around, giving sunday times "travel" a run for its money.
    The 2 property sections are well regarded as the best in the country.

Just because you arn't intellectually upto date doesnt you mean you slate the Newspaper.

Hahaha, the Sunday Tribune, says it all...

Advertisement