Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

childrens birthday presents

Options
  • 04-06-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I'm a childminder for a family minding two lovely gorgeous girls. Theres a birthday coming up soon and i need advice please.

I would like to produce a birthday gift otherwise it would just look mean and selfish if i don't.

I know what to get the girl who'll be three but it comes in a big box. Its not a huge box but it is big. It costs around 50 euro. My question is do you as parents feel embarrassed when and if someone produced a big gift for your child.

Question bout big boxes and loads of packageing: would it be a good idea to take the item - depending on what it is - out from the box and present it in maybe a smaller giftbox - maybe shoebox size - or present it in another manner. The child will be three - i would imagine she wouldn't have much patience to wait while an adult attacks the box to open it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

I don't know your relationship to this family but personally I would be mortified if someone (other than grandparents) spent €50 on a B'day present for my child.
    I'd go for something smaller and cheaper. Think of how long you have to mind her to pay for the gift, going on general childminding rates it's probably about 1 1/2 to 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm a neighbour to the family. They are a very nice family. Will think about other options for the child.

How much would be reasonable amount to spend on a gift for the three year old child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That is an awful lot to spend :eek: My 6 year old just had a birthday and didn't get anything worth that much (even from us). Her granny did give us 50 to spend on her and I got a small present (€18) so that she would know granny got a pressie and the rest goes in the clothes and shoes pot.
    My childminder brings each of the kids on their birthday to the local cheapy shop and lets them pick something out for themselves which I think is great. She also has a little party for them.
    If you are intent on spending that much I'm not sure what difference the packaging will make? You could have it opened and all the pastic doodahs undone to save opening time I suppose :confused:

So in response to your original question the physical size of the present wouldn't bother me but how much you have spent might :o though maybe I would just be very impressed and grateful. I don't know to be honest. It does seem like an awful lot of money:o

darling.x wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your advice. I'm a neighbour to the family. They are a very nice family. Will think about other options for the child.

How much would be reasonable amount to spend on a gift for the three year old child.

I think €20 is very generous and give her a little picnic party or something while she is at your house. By little I mean just you and whoever is usually there, nobody extra invited or anything. just something a little different from the norm that is special for her birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

A few nice picture books would make a nice present, Not too expensive and educational!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I don't know, I think its ok. Granted, its alot of money, but I personally wouldn't feel embarrassed if my child received a gift like that from her childminder and neighbour.

As for packaging, the more the better I find. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I personally, dont like when someone gives my child an extreemly big gift, and would certainly think that spending that amount on them would be over the top.

In the past my sister and mother have given my children big gifts - and on some of the times they were bigger and more expensive that the gift I was able to give my child. And to be honest I felt upsurged, and put out. Like for example when my sister got my son his first trike, I felt she had taken away that pleasure from me. It was silly and irrational on my behalf and her heart was in the right place. But I still felt that way.

I think as their childminder giving them a present that big is just a bit too much. You would only expect that amount of money spent by a parent or grandparent. Not from someone who you pay to mind your kids.

My youngest had a birthday recently - she was 9 - and she got some lovely gifts from her school palls but none would have cost over 20. I would think this is a more approprate amount to be aiming for if you feel you must get something substansial.

For your situation I would have thought a nice new book, and new pair of jammies would be more the sort of thing.

Thank you for all your replies.

I go to their house for the childminding, and learning how to drive i'm not in a place to take the girl for an outing.

She has a lot of toys and I wanted to get her something she would like and play with and not something she would just throw aside. She is such an amazing little girl - she is so good. Shes very very good, and nice a kind to her baby brother who was born with special needs. I've seen many kids treating younger siblings badly out from jealously but she minds her brother. so i wanted to get her something special because shes so good. And money isn't an issue really for me.

Anyways I will take your advice on board and start looking for something else for her and spend about 20 or 30 euro maybe. I don't want to embarrass her parents by giving her a big gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hi

I would say put some thought into the pressie and you can get the result you want for less money and embarrassment on the part of the parents. I spend €15 - €20 on my nephews and nieces and around €30-€50 on my god children, who I admit I spoil.
    If she loves animals get her something to do with them, something a bit unusual. The same for clothes, badges, jewellary etc. My godson loves bugs, exploring, creepy crawlies etc. and the bug cather set I got for €15 went down a treat, you'd think they were going on safari the way all the kids got into it.
    Your heart is in the right place but focus on looking at the gift from another angle.

The child i mind loves cats and animaals and I was thinking of getting her a fur real cat as advertised in the smyths catalogue (its a very reallistic toy cat). ut from your replies this probably wouldn't be suitable.

How would a kiddies handbag be filled up with smaller items for a present.

• Advertisement

Or a teddy with an outfit or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I think €50 euro is alot to spend too.
    My daughters childminder got my daughter a doll and a nice top i think for her last birthday.
    You could just get her a nice summer dress..girls love dresses..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

€50 way way too much. In fact you are not really expected to get her a present, just to make her birthday special. On that day she could help you bake a cake and set the table for a tea party when her parents come home.

A book about animals will be just as appreciated as a fur real cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

A kiddies handbag filled with little things she would love. Particularly one with a cat on it. I think Argos do them, them fill it with some little sweeties, hair clips and bobbins, crayons, a book, whatever takes your fancy. She'll love it.

Thanks so much for all your valuable advice. I came across a website today called buidabear.com where they do teddies and clothes for the teddies. I've been creating a teddy for the past few hours. So I've picked out a cat and dressed her in a dress of the childs favourite colour. Still heven't paid for it but it comes up to about 30 dollers and postage and packaging is 25 dollers. Altogether its 55 dollers which would be about 30 euro or so, which is very reasonable i think. Thanks so much all.

darling.x wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all your valuable advice. I came across a website today called buidabear.com where they do teddies and clothes for the teddies. I've been creating a teddy for the past few hours. So I've picked out a cat and dressed her in a dress of the childs favourite colour. Still heven't paid for it but it comes up to about 30 dollers and postage and packaging is 25 dollers. Altogether its 55 dollers which would be about 30 euro or so, which is very reasonable i think. Thanks so much all.

Thats sounds lovely! I must have a look at the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

sueme wrote: »
    Thats sounds lovely! I must have a look at the site.

for your info, there's a build a bear shop in dundrum shopping centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pubpub

What about getting them cheap disposable cameras, a nice photo album and let them take pics of the party and then pay for the cost of development of the photos. They could fill their albums over other special occasions.

I usually hate to see toys being given as gifts.

Also, for what its worth OP, my daughter was given a FurReal Kitten (by a non-family member :D) and never played with it! Theres some great suggestions here though, I like the photo one too.

I'm sure she'll love the bear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

Ha ha sorry to be the odd one out... but come on 50euro is about the cheapest you will get a nice present for....

My daughter is 2 years old on Saturday and I know that alot of her presents will be big... I never attend a childs party without something decent.. I usually buy clothes a nice set of tops, trousers and shoes from next cost at least 50.00..

And even then I feel scabby handing them that alone, so i'll buy a small toy too... I'm 20 years old and dont earn much money at all but it doesn't mean i should be tight pocketed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

flynnc8 wrote: »
    Ha ha sorry to be the odd one out... but come on 50euro is about the cheapest you will get a nice present for....

No wonder we get ripped off to hell and back in this country when people are determined to spend money for the sake of it.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote: »
    No wonder we get ripped off to hell and back in this country when people are determined to spend money for the sake of it.

But surely if we have money we should be able to spend it... Instead of constantly worrying about it..

and its not just for the sake of it, its for a childs birthday who will look forward to getting nice stuff for their special day...

flynnc8 wrote: »
    But surely if we have money we should be able to spend it... Instead of constantly worrying about it..

and its not just for the sake of it, its for a childs birthday who will look forward to getting nice stuff for their special day...

most of the nice stuff that my daughter got for her special dat last week has been thrown in the corner of the playroom and not been looked at since. The one thing she got that is taken out on a daily basis is a pair of sunglasses that came from the cheapy shop... probably cost about €1.99.

Over the past year my kids have been at 15 birthday parties. That would be €750 :eek: if they were all to get €50. I do give my teenage nephews €50 for their birthdays because I know they spend it on games/ books/ music etc but €50 for a small child on something that will more than likely get cast aside is just silliness IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pubpub

I just find I hate to see toys been given as present - books and sticker albums grand, cinema tickets - brilliant, dvd voucher, football accessories (socks, gloves) - great but toys whether E10 or E50 drives me bananas - they are never played with, especially if they need batteries!

Would back up littlebug's comments - wait untill they go to school and are invited to everyother bday party - don't think many people could afford 50 a present. I would be embarrassed to give or receive such a gift.

well each to there own i suppose....

However my little girl plays with all of her toys on a regular basis... trust me she has loads of stuff and she works her way around the room allday... between keyboards, blocks, trikes, prams, dolls, jigsaws, dress up, rocking horse etc...

She gets great use out of everything ever bought for her...

Advertisement