Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2002 Chem Q1 bleach titration answers anyone?

Options
  • 04-06-2008 10:11pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭

2001! i mean 2001! Does anyone have any answers for the 2001 Q1 sample paper question on bleach? Why, for example, is the bleach diluted!?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Diluted because otherwise an excessive amount of reagents would be used up in the reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

What past papers do you have ?
    Folens page 9

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

feck i meant 2001! i have edco papers. thanks for ethanoic acid one, needed that too

My papers are all the way upstairs, post the questions here and I'll answer em! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

My cousin helped write the chemistry exam this year, He would have told me what to expect I reckon but I don't do chem...should have got the info and sold it to you all...ah well...happy learning :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

i mainly just wanted to know why bleach was diluted. it was a lil question that was wrecking my head. also, what apparatus is used to add 10cm3 of potassium iodide and 20cm3 of sulfuric acid to conical flask? Pipette?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mike-gunners

andrew wrote: »
    2001! i mean 2001! Does anyone have any answers for the 2001 Q1 sample paper question on bleach? Why, for example, is the bleach diluted!?

Thanks
    bleach is diluted for 2 reasons:
    1.in order to use larger volumes in reactions so that the percentage error is reduced.
    2.so that less reagents are used since bleach is very strong.

i mainly just wanted to know why bleach was diluted. it was a lil question that was wrecking my head. also, what apparatus is used to add 10cm3 of potassium iodide and 20cm3 of sulfuric acid to conical flask? Pipette?

Small graduated cylinders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mike-gunners

to add potassium iodide and sulfuric acid, use a graduated cylinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Thanks

The bleach is diluted because otherwise the concentrations are too strong and an accurate end point would not be detectable.

Advertisement