Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat lost by Airline - On tarmac at Dublin Airport

Options
  • 04-06-2008 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

On the 4th June 2008 at 11am our cat was due to fly to Switzerland where we are moving.
    Having organised all of the required vaccines and pet passport and sourced a reliable carrier who would feed and water the cat on its stopover; all seemed to be progressing fine.
    The cat was accepted with the cargo handler having checked its veterinary details and ensuring the cage was of adequate size and safe.
    3 hours later a phone call was received indicating that there was bad news. Expecting the worse that the paperwork was not in order I was shocked to be told the cat was missing. The cage was empty.
    Somewhere after the cat was brought through security checks and before the baggage handlers loaded the plane the cat has supposedly managed to undo both locks on the cage and a wire securing the cage door.

Myself and my partner are shocked and distraught as to how such an error could occur. We had entrusted a valued and loved 4th member of our family to a company which ensured our cat would be delivered safely to Switzerland.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how we can find our cat out on the flight area in Dublin Airport we would be delighted to hear from you.
    If there any individuals reading this who work on or near the Dublin Airport we would ask you to keep on the lookout for a 2year old tabby who is black and white (photo to be attached). He is wearing a black collar with his name and our number on it, it also indicates he is chipped.

The return of the cat would bring relief, joy and happiness to a currently upset and distraught family.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Try the Pet Detective. He has cat-tracking dogs.

http://www.happytailsdetective.com/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Gosh I'm sorry to hear that. Thats really terrible....

I truely hope he's found

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

That is really heartbreaking - I can imagine how you must be feeling.

Have you contacted Dublin Airport Authority? Maybe they could assist in getting you in touch with people working in the baggage area? If the cat was let out and ran off somewhere to hide, he might be still around there somewhere.

I see on their website they issue newsletters to people living around the Airport (although there aren't many recent issues) - maybe they could put an appeal in there if there is one coming out soon?

http://www.dublinairport.com/about-us/community-affairs/community_newsletter.html

Its the kind of human/animal interest story you might get some media interest in, maybe. Try Joe Duffy, Gerry Ryan or one of the redtops.

Was he a pedigree cat? Maybe he was stolen, rather than just set free? I guess he will be harder to find if that is the case, but at least he may be being looked after properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

OMG that is so awful, I really hope you find your cat. Have the company that were supposed to look after the cat (instead of losing it) offered to help in any way? I really think they or someone in the airport should take some responsibility and do their best to look for the cat. I really don't think its good enough the way you have been treated. I would contact the airport authority as suggested above. Hopefully someone will find it and bring to a shelter where it can be checked for its micochip. Fingers crossed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

If you post a picture and tell me the cats name i will keep an eye out, i am not too far from the airport. There are lots and lots of fields around the airport.

I will also place a lost ad on another website. www.petsireland.invisionzone.com

Also where did you live before you moved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

OMG i feel so sorry for you ,your family and the cat .I hope to God you find him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Keep us updated if you can. Hope the cat turns up safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

There has been response already on the other site, some people work up there and are spreading the word. FIngers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 shanec112

hi,

i am shanes partner

currently the pet detective is searching dublin airport with his dogs. he will continue for a few hours and if they cant find him they will put up humane cat traps with cat food so maybe he will come out looking for food tonight, the detective will go back tomorrow and continue the search if they dont have any luck tonight. i am just praying that we get our cat back, i am so upset and cant believe what happened, its like loosing a family member. just try to pull myself together since i have to care for our little daughter and i am pregnant as well.

trinity thank you, so kind of you to look for tigger!!! we were living in blackrock, tigger is also very friendly with the neighbours so they are informed in case he turns up.

luckcat thank you so much fot mentioning the pet detective, we phoned him this morning and thank god he was available to take the case immediately.

We will continue to keep updating the thread with any news

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

You could also try the catering companies in the airport. The cats tend to stick to the areas near their warehouses because of the food. GateGourmet and Aer Lingus are there and possibly Alpha too.

Best of Luck.

• Advertisement

trinity thank you for posting on the other site, i just registered to load up a picture but he registry application needs to be reviewed and we dont have internet at home i am at my aunts now and need to go home to put my daughter to bed, could you post the picture for me? its in the last post. thank you for your help x mara

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I'll put you pic up there for you now.
    Robert in happy tails is very good, he'll do a thorough job.
    God love you, it's a terrible story, I'm praying that you get him back.
    If I can be of any help with traps etc, let me know.
    Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

shanec112 wrote: »
    trinity thank you for posting on the other site, i just registered to load up a picture but he registry application needs to be reviewed and we dont have internet at home i am at my aunts now and need to go home to put my daughter to bed, could you post the picture for me? its in the last post. thank you for your help x mara

I've validated your account on PI :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm really sorry to hear about your plight OP.

I'm driving around that area all the time, and shoot up there occasionally too. Tbh I've never seen cats in the area.

Only advice I'd give is to hound the airport authorities as with a plentiful supply of food and shelter your cat is unlikely to leave the area fast.

Please God that you get him back thinking of you

I hope you find Tigger, who looks such a cutesypie.

By the way, is he microchipped?

You have, I assume, been around all the pounds and shelters personally? (Ringing is good with some but not with all...)

The Pet Detective is fighting a difficult battle in such a crowded place as the airport, and with scents like high-octane fuel that are stunning for a dog's nose.

If the Pet Detective does find Tigger, I trust that the airport authority will pay for this - as well as any other expenses?

Have you thought of giving the Evening Herald newsdesk a call, by the way? Just the kind of story they'd go for, I'd imagine, and it might mean that someone who'd taken Tigger in or spotted him realised who he was.

Ring them early in the morning - seven or eight - and say you can email them a picture of Tigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The tabloids would also be a good bet to publicize the matter, they thrive on stories about "moggies" especially the Sun and the Mirror. He could have made a runner towards the parameter fence trying to make its way back home. I am also sure your carrier should be covered by insurance to pay for out of pocket search expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Aw, god I hope you find him guys! Some good advice posted.
    Praying for you!

hi guys,

thanks for all your replys

the pet detective has been working tirelessly for us in the airport but as of yet the dogs have not got a scent. he has been putting lots of humane traps around where he believes the cat escaped.
    he es having huge difficulty in identyfying exactly where tigger got loose as there are different storys from the various airport parties. due to this tigger escaped along a three kilometer stretch. part of this area is airside and therefore the petdetective cannot gain acess. we did organize for him to be acompanied by the airportpolice however the airside is to busy and he does not believe that tigs is in that area. he believes he is more likely to be from the start of airside back to the cargo hanger.
    we are pleading with the individuals involved in the airport to please give an exact location of where an how the cat escaped obviously at this moment the where is far more important than the how.
    the pet detective and ourselves have been postering and contacting business houeses individuals around the area and the airport.
    the pet detective will keep looking for tigs in the next days.
    robert has personally taken a very strong interest in finding tigger as he has 5 cats himself and feels appaled at the information and support he/us are reciving from the companys involved in loosing tigger.

we are hoping to have an article in mondays irish independent, thanks for that suggestion.

i dont care about the money, i just want my kitty back. i cant sleep at night and still break out in tears every time i think of my poor tigs out there on his own, its really hard to take. every time the phone rings i hope its robert telling us he found tigs. i cant accept that hes gone.

he is such a great cat, so friendly and loving, a real family animal. my 20 months old daughter loves him to bits and keeps asking for him, he used to go for walks with us and wait by the street when we went shopping until we came back and if he missed us because he feel asleep he would sit there all day waiting until somebody came to get him out of the bushes. he is so good. such a cuddle. the best boy in the world i need him back:-(
    please pray for tig to return home to us

thank you, mara

oh and yes, he is microchipped. he has a little thing on his flea collar saying i am microchipped as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Just wanted to give you my support. I am almost in tears here myself thinking about the whole thing. I wish you the best of luck in finding him. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I dunno if this would be possible for you but you sound like you're being too nice by far about it. Tell the airport authorities you're coming back to ireland and you want to meet with them, (see if they'll pay for the ticket), tell them you want to meet with the head of the relevent dept and the baggage handlers who were working on that plane, let them know you're furious at their treatment of this and that you think they arent being truthful with you. Tell them you want to be taken out airside where the cat was lost and search yourself (don't let them tell you that they cant do that, i've been out there and i was just doing placement work)

If their story has changed or sounds wrong then it's probably because someone is lying. Get lawyered up if possible, people suddenly take you far more seriously when legal action looms into view

Great that you've got the Pet Detective on the case; better still that there's a story in the Indo. The newspaper story may put the skids under the airport authorities and get them moving.

I hope the Pet Detective is also regularly checking the pounds and shelters for you?

Have you put an ad (with a photo) on http://www.irishanimals.ie? This is a great site, and if you specify that this was in the airport, the local readers will be alerted.

I wonder if other animals have gone missing while in the care of Dublin Airport?

hi guys,

there was a sighting of tigger this morning at 5.30 in the area where the planes are loaded with food. robert is out there looking for him. we hope it really was him.

shane is flying back to dublin and meeting robert tomorrow, together they are going to talk to the airport authorities and the people involved in loosing tigger.

@bambi; we are doing all this. shane does all the talking since i am native german speaker and dont feel comfortable talking in this situation especially since i am getting teary every time it comes to talking about tigs

@luckat; robert is checking the shelters, however we think he is still in the airport especially since he is in an area with (waste) food so he is not starving. robert says cats usually hide for about 10 days in the same place before they start to move further away. today is day 6 he is missing. i put an ad on irishanimals, thank you for that.

by the way the airport people are saying this is the first time ever an animal has gone missing in their care. would you believe them?

i keep you posted if theres any news, still dont have internet so cant check back very often x

Did the Indo cover it?

Do I believe the airport people... well, they seem to have reacted pretty casually, don't they? Maybe there's a bigger story there. Or maybe not, of course.

Brilliant that there's a sighting.

If the Indo don't come through, you might try RTE - 'twould be a nice little story for the News or something like Nationwide.

I ddo so hope that u get him back .Thinking of you all the time .I wish i could do something .I am keeping you in my thoughts .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Ah God that's terrible. Best of luck, I really hope you find him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Well its a very positive sign that there was a sighting, if you think about it its likely to be him as there wouldnt normally be animals naturally hanging around that area.

Best of luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Postman-Layla

I live about 5km away from the airport, and a while back a neighbour found a stray Terrier who, as it turns out, had been lost by airport handlers just like your Tigger.
    Maybe it's not completely true, but if it is then the airport staff should be ashamed that this is going on.
    I'll keep an eye out for him in case he's wandered this far my direction.
    Saying a prayer that your get him back home safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Can these animal transport companies not have their cages pad locked? I hope tigger turns up.

Advertisement