Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin- commute

Options
  • 04-06-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

A wormate and her husband are moving to Dublin and don't have too much finalised yet.

Geographically, they have decided that Dublin 3 might be a goer but are wondering how hard it will be to get to their respective workplaces.

She will be working in the city centre for about a year, after which, she will be transferred to her company's new office in Maynooth. His job is based in the airport business park.

Living in Dublin appeals to them but they would have to be sure transport would be acceptable. They plan on keeping one car. Children won't be on their horizon for another few years but they'd like to stay put for a while.

How much rent should you expect to pay for either an apartment or house in such areas.

Thanks, all.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends where in D3 really.
    City centre is walkable from some parts of D3, bus or DART from Clontarf Road station otherwise.

Maynooth - very regular trains from Connolly - easily reachable from D3 - walking, bus or train.

Airport Business park is served by the 748 bus which you can get at Busaras - walkable from some parts of D3, bus otherwise. If your friend buys an annual ticket (or if his employer is part of the Taxsaver ticket scheme) using the 748 could work out relatively inexpensive as it is covered by annual tickets.

Rent - depends on where in D3. http://www.daft.ie/ should give an idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I would also look at Dublin 5,some good value to be had in D5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i live in D3 and the airport is a pain to get out to from here, especially in the mornings.

its also an expensive area.

i'd recommend somewhere like D9, sanrty or whitehall. much closer to airporrt and equally close to town. cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

So my friends are looking for at an apartment in mt Vernon in Clontarf. Close proximity to the park is appealing to them and getting to the city centre seems relatively easy. He can probably take teh car to work near the airport, then.

Is this a nice place to live, generally?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

cantdecide wrote: »

Yes. Handy for town, the beach, the park, shopping, good restaurants, public transport etc. It's a nice area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,181 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

cantdecide wrote: »
    So my friends are looking for at an apartment in mt Vernon in Clontarf. Close proximity to the park is appealing to them and getting to the city centre seems relatively easy. He can probably take teh car to work near the airport, then.

Vernon avenue is a very nice area in Clontarf, but you're not close to any DART station really - it'd be a bit of a trek to Clontarf Road or Killester. You're probably reliant on the 130 service which is frequent but fills up quickly.

Clontarf to Maynooth would be a long enough commute, but anywhere on the northside would be. You'd have to get the 130 to Connolly and pick up a train from there.

And I'd recommend driving from Clontarf to Airport business park, could cut up onto Malahide Road going away from traffic.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement