Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grovelling apology

Options
  • 05-06-2008 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Just sitting here reading a grovelling apology on the front page of the Galway Independent to Michael De Haast. Was he the manager of the Radisson. Seemingly they said he had fled the country and that his company had gone into liquidation, all of which is apparently untrue. I would say the loud sound of kerrching will be heard with that apology.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I think its the House Hotel, they reported on the "problems" there last week, something about the hotel going bust but would continue to trade. IIRC they weren't the only ones to report it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sandybee

saw it elsewhere all right, but they must have been the only ones to report it wrong. thought there might be trouble all right when they mentioned your man had left the country as that implied he was running from something. i would say he has a strong case. bought 2 coffees in the house two a year ago and it cost me 20 squids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Ooh, hope that's wrong! I love the House hotel. Lovely staff, delicious breakfasts, free wifi, nice ambience, gorgeous decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Wasn't there something going around about Cunningham Higgins as well? In that case the banks asked them to come forward and kill the rumor. Seemingly some bank managers where even spreading that one.

Econ slows down and people are expecting business to go bust so any rumor will most likely find a believing audience.

You would expect a paper to do check their information, obviously the galway first writer found nothing about it on boards so thought it was true.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

kayos wrote: »
    Wasn't there something going around about Cunningham Higgins as well? In that case the banks asked them to come forward and kill the rumor. Seemingly some bank managers where even spreading that one.

Econ slows down and people are expecting business to go bust so any rumor will most likely find a believing audience.

You would expect a paper to do check their information, obviously the galway first writer found nothing about it on boards so thought it was true.....

Yep, I rarely listen to Galway Bay FM but tuned in last week and the owner of Cunningham Higgins was on to dispel the rumours. They were quite vicious apparently. Also a woman from Cregmore Golf Club - they were rumoured to be going bust too, but that was BS as well. Rumours abound about certain developers etc... seems to be the favourite pastime of some people in Galway at the moment.
    Let's start one now and see how quickly Galway First picks it up.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It's true that the house hotel is entering liquidation, which is the story other papers had.
    But the Galway independent had an extra bit about De Haast's company going bust and him not being in the country anymore.
    All of which was untrue and resulted in the big front page apology.

If we want to make up a rumour for Galway First to pick up how about this?
    Have you heard Galway first is going bust? :p

dloob wrote: »

Ya due to the fact the monkeys that put it together are demanding a 100% pay rise for all the hard work they do copy and pasting investigating and writing the posts from boards Galway First articals.

Seemingly they now want 2 bannanas a week and with the current crisis in the bananna world this is quite a increase. Of course the blame for this bananna cost increase is squarely at the feet of bio fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

dloob wrote: »

Sh1t, the readership for Boards.ie will fall through the floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Lovely staff
    I know someone who works there and he's a c*nt :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

sure the rumours about the g closing were the first of this kind of thing to float: closing to turn into apartments; closing to move to the corrib great southern; closing cause the banks were foreclosing; closing to move to ashford castle; redeem your vouchers cause the spa is closing, redeem your vouchers cause the hotel is closing closing etc all kinds of ****e were bandied about and none of them true. they started this time last year. its par for the course in a small town like this where people love to see someone/something successful fail.

With regard to the House, De Haast was only the managing agent/lessee. it is owned by another individual so once new management are in place, as i believe they are since last week, it should run as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I heard somewhere that Galway First is closing - anyone else hear this? This is an incredible crisis - what will I put on the floor of my hamster cage?

And NUIG - I heard it is closing too and they are going to turn it into a HOOOOJ Tesco with lots of space outside for boyracers to make donuts. Or is that 'do' donuts.

I need my pills and a lie down...

'cptr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

sure the rumours about the g closing were the first of this kind of thing to float:

A new hotel opened and they made a point of telling every taxi driver in Galway that the G was in trouble in order that they could get the business themselves. It was quite a sustained campaign of vitriol against the G until after the races .

The G was not in trouble then and is not in trouble now, as for the new hotel :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The G was not in trouble then and is not in trouble now, as for the new hotel :cool:

LOL I can imagine the headline of Galway First now.... :pac:

don't get the galway first mentions. didnt see it in that paper. it was the indo who had the apology. maybe im just being thick. lol

sandybee wrote: »
    don't get the galway first mentions. didnt see it in that paper. it was the indo who had the apology. maybe im just being thick. lol

Its because of the blantent plagiarism of some Boards.ie posts by the galway first.

Ok, sorry. bit slow. but don't we take some inspiration from papers, tv as well for posts. what big scoops did they get from the boards?

sandybee wrote: »
    Ok, sorry. bit slow. but don't we take some inspiration from papers, tv as well for posts. what big scoops did they get from the boards?

There is a news paper article for example that we dicuss and talk about, that is not plagiarism. Posters will link the orginal source, quote it or in some way say "I saw this in/on <insert source here>". I dont think you will find any one posting here a article from a publication and making out it is their own work. If such was to happen and it was reported then I'm pretty sure Boards.ie would remove or edit such posts to correct this.

Taking a post from boards.ie and reproducing that post, with some grammer and spelling corrections, without crediting the source is plagiarism. As the galway first is a comercial paper and make profit then it becomes a bigger deal as they stand to financially gain from it.

I know there was multiple weeks where the agony aunt section letters in Galway First appeared to be posts from the PI forum on boards.ie. This to me is a bad idea, they have taken someones problem posted here for answers here and then just reproduced, I can only guess without consent of the poster as most posters of problems go unreg'd, these in their paper without crediting the source. If they want an agnoy aunt section let them get their own problems and come up with their own answers and not go taking other peoples words and making out it is theirs or that the problem was posted/emailed to them. I'm not saying every article in every issue of the galway first does this but it does appear to happen. I know I am not the only one that has noticed this in relation to the galway first.

If someone on boards posted a complete Galway First article and claimed it as their own there would most likely be legal proceedings. But by the looks of it Galway First staff dont see the problem in doing the reverse :rolleyes:.

http://www.plagiarism.org/learning_center/what_is_plagiarism.html

Reading the above shows you exactly why taking a post from here and reproducing it, even with some changes counts as plagiarism. In fact it could also be seen as copyright theft.

thanks for explaining that, but we all seem to engage in media bashing, me included. They lost a photographer last week didn't they. That was very sad. I didnt see any board about that on here. you would think there would have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

It would appear that sandybee is just another citizen interested in current affairs and not the type of person that would have posted topics under a different name in topics like 'voice 2 shut', 'galway bay fm' etc

sandybee is upset about the photographer situation, has posted a similiar topic on the mayo media and starts a topic not just about a newspaper apology but a 'grovelling' apology

why don't you start a thread on the excuse for the paper that is galway first or recognise the political agenda of the advertiser

so yes sandybee in response to an earlier post of yours in this section you are just thick (no lol here)

Advertisement