Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hargadons opening up again

Options
  • 05-06-2008 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all ,
    I've been waiting for a while . . . .and it's nearly back! Hargardons historic landmark Sligo Pub is re-opening in the next fortnight. it's been renovated (Carefully, as it's a listed building) and hopefully will continue the momentum to give Sligo town back it's mainstreet, after the focus in recent years has been towards the Quayside shopping centre and the new retail park. Here's hoping that the Sligo corporation gets it's act together and repaves the street. .. two years closed to traffic and it still looks like a road! More cafes (Still like Fleur) Restaurants and bars please. . . make it a proper town centre again!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Desireland, I thought this might be better as a new thread, so we can keep the restaurant thread on topic. :)

Delighted to hear Hargadons will be opening soon

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

takola wrote: »
    Desireland, I thought this might be better as a new thread, so we can keep the restaurant thread on topic. :)

Delighted to hear Hargadons will be opening soon
    Well done girl. You are learning fast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

If they don't put some lights and police on that street, nobody will even know it's open. It's deserted at night. And the Gardai don't do the whole foot patrol thing very well. If one must be attacked on O'Connell street, do it at either end, not near the middle, where it's unnoticeable (from inside a squad car with the windows up). Happened to my brother's friend a few months back.
    Nice to hear it's open though. It was one of the nicest pubs in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Any idea who is going to be running it ? Last one was mousey from Fureys who did a fantastic job with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

cool, will have to check it out, have heard good stories about the old place

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Great news! Will they still have the little beer garden out the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Nice little spot, it could be lovely. I used to love the little snugs aswell, they were cool, hope they keep them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i doubt it, remember how it was just at the opening into johnsons court, with the development it'll have no access or light. unless they've done another one somewhere else.

i wonder will it still be a no music pub? i dont want it to turn into somewhere like mc hughs

I read that it was being kept to same principles of the old pub, that the new owner (English lady iirc) wanted it to be kept much as it was.

Can't remember where the article was so no linkys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

If they change the pub, then it'll be just another place to swilll beer in the town.

Leave it as it is, and THAT will be a place worth going to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 desireland

Don't worry all, The Pub is still exactly as it was, except they're opening up the snug on the left-hand side on the way in the front door, they've put in a new kitchen, re-plumbed, re-wired and made it safe,,, they've also done a substantial job of cleaning it and preserving the place for future generations. the New leasee is Ray Monaghan who built Johnsons court and The new Lady running the Show is Ann Britton. . . .how do I know all this, Because she's a friend of a friend, By the sounds of it they've spent a small fortune on it as it was becoming badly decayed through neglect. Opening next Friday or Saturday 12th or 13th June..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mrs munch 2000

All that was in one of the local papers a while ago, so sounds good. She's a Donegal woman, spent some time in the US. Delighted to hear it's reopening...

That floor has to be a health & safety issue - hope they don't improve it too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

desireland wrote: »
    Don't worry all, The Pub is still exactly as it was, except they're opening up the snug on the left-hand side on the way in the front door, they've put in a new kitchen, re-plumbed, re-wired and made it safe,,, they've also done a substantial job of cleaning it and preserving the place for future generations. the New leasee is Ray Monaghan who built Johnsons court and The new Lady running the Show is Ann Britton. . . .how do I know all this, Because she's a friend of a friend, By the sounds of it they've spent a small fortune on it as it was becoming badly decayed through neglect. Opening next Friday or Saturday 12th or 13th June..

How speedy!

Hopefully the efficiency of the renovations is an indication of how well the pub will be run!

I'm certainly looking forward to it opening - it sounds great. We need a nice looking pub without piped music in Sligo. The only thing that would make it perfect is banning hen parties at the door!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's not a hen party sort of place. They wouldn't go in if it was the only pub in town.:)

Dunno, a hen party drowned out a traditional session in the Stables a couple weeks ago.

I've actually never been inside Hargadon's so I'll have nothing to compare the new renovations to, unfortunately.

Xiney wrote: »
    I've actually never been inside Hargadon's so I'll have nothing to compare the new renovations to, unfortunately.

Think McGarrigles but an older clientele, and less um.. crusty. With all due respect to the lovely patrons of McGarrigles (really!).
    *Cough*

heh heh heh

I actually really love McGarrigles. But yeah. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

sueme wrote: »
    Think McGarrigles but an older clientele, and less um.. crusty. With all due respect to the lovely patrons of McGarrigles (really!).
    *Cough*

<clears throat>

;)

any indication on when hargadons might be reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 2 freddo

The news that Hargadons a drinking haunt that surpasses all expectations for all ages, is reopening. I never worried that it wouldnt because two of the nicest and most decent friends are behind it. Sligo is starting to recognise the value of heritage at last, now boys and girls, how about walking up the middle of O'Connel Street, Sligo for a change, its been pedestrianised you know, however certain motor freaks need reminding gently about this.
    Why the big secret about the GRAND REOPENING , shout it from the rooftops people so we will have a great night (and early morning too) to celebrate the banishing of HARGADON BLUES . Those that suffered Hargadon Withdrawal Symptoms can now rejoice. And a street party is on the cards because HARDAGANS has not been changed , praise the Lord. Even the Pot Belly Stove has been retained. Saved many hypothermia case in years gone by.
    And eh ! you know who has been entrusted with reframing in origonal old frames with all those old ads and bills with whisky at 1/2 d a bottle and 3 D for a bottle of GUINESS with a cork in it. Giving away my age I am !:(:(:)
    Ive got friends waiting to catch a plane for the opening, dont disappoint them lads and lassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Never been in Hargadons before, but from what I have been reading here, everybody seems to be saying nothing but good things. Defo gonna check it out. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

desireland wrote: »
    Opening next Friday or Saturday 12th or 13th June..

Sounds to me like an unofficial beers :pac:

sueme wrote: »
    *Cough*

True but I have to say I was in McG's a few times recently it seems to be shedding it's old image and is a fair bit trendier now.

Shhh.

Has the opening date been confirmed anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 desireland

:)This coming Thursday Night, , , not allowing for any unforeseen delays , , , , Hargadons will re-open! Looking forward to a celebratory pint of Guiness in it on Friday evening! :D

Anyone else going? I best not just invite myself along with desireland... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

The one weekend I'm not in Sligo. :(

I'll want a full report on Sat/Sun morning. I moved to Sligo just as it closed so have never experienced it's supposed loveliness. I've heard so much about this place though I feel like I know it! (is that weird?)

Enjoy the night peeps!

Thursday night!! One of my nights off!

Everything's coming up Xiney!

Not so sure about that. I heard an unofficial rumour that it's not opening after all. - Still needs some work.
    Anyone have any more information on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I hope it is the same as it was. I am from Limerick but think it was one of the finest pubs in Ireland. I was always proud to show it to foreign visitors as the textbook example Irish pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Great to hear its re-opening. Used to be a lovely pub and they used to do serious dinners there back in the day!!
    Hope it goes well for all. Will defientely visit next time im there.

Advertisement