Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hargadons opening up again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 desireland

Not so sure about that. I heard an unofficial rumour that it's not opening after all. - Still needs some work.
    Anyone have any more information on this?

I Work in Town and I saw the drinks deliveries going in there today. . so at least we wont be thirsty!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

gucci wrote: »
    Great to hear its re-opening. Used to be a lovely pub and they used to do serious dinners there back in the day!!
    Hope it goes well for all. Will defientely visit next time im there.

+1

The very best of luck to them.

topper75 wrote: »
    ..I am from Limerick but...

Do you have to say that alot? :D

Just kidding, I'm from round that way aswell! There's nothing really to compare down there though is there? Maybe Nellys.. during the winter when its not so full of tourists, although, during the summer a pint sitting on the wall outside was always a good way to spend a few hours! :)

Anyways.. roll on Hargadons opening!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

desireland wrote: »
    :)This coming Thursday Night, , , not allowing for any unforeseen delays , , , , Hargadons will re-open! Looking forward to a celebratory pint of Guiness in it on Friday evening! :D

Anybody have an update on this? I've roped in a few people to partake of a celebratory drink with me tonight if it is indeed opened, seeing as I'm going to miss the opening weekend.

Anybody have an update on this? I've roped in a few people to partake of a celebratory drink with me tonight if it is indeed opened, seeing as I'm going to miss the opening weekend.

Your online now. Its not a good sign of a tremendous opening night.

Unless your one of those crazy kids that go out at 11!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Apparently it's open and buzzing! I on the other hand am not. A disastrous day at work makes Lemon an antisocial wagon! I'm delighted the place is packed out though.

Apparently it's open and buzzing! I on the other hand am not. A disastrous day at work makes Lemon an antisocial wagon! I'm delighted the place is packed out though.

Feeling fairly on the extreme end of anti-social myself at the moment.

Delighted its a good night for them! Hopefully we'll get a bleary eyed review tomorrow lunchtime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

Yep, just walked past the place, there was a few bunches of people going in. Looks like... the way it used. But cleaner and spruced up.

I'd have gone in for a gander but wearing shorts and being covered in grass clippings might be taking the piss. I drink in McGs but I'm not that crusty...

You wear shorts and er...grass at 9.30 in town. You, my friend, are crusty! :D

Ok, just back. I hadn't meant to stay so long but there were pints... and then it started raining... I mean, we couldn't leave if we got wet or anything. Anyway, pretty much as it was - the stove is gone, not sure if it's been relocated, there's a bit more space, and no sign of the restaurant end of things, there's a bar up the back end too. The Guinness is sound as well.

And I was wearing shorts because the weather is grand. And I was cutting grass with a strimmer. I'm not that crusty. But McGs is still (and was, very much so) a sound pub.

"Oh but Moe - the dank. The Dank!"

• Advertisement

sobriquet wrote: »
    Ok, just back. I hadn't meant to stay so long but there were pints... and then it started raining... I mean, we couldn't leave if we got wet or anything. Anyway, pretty much as it was - the stove is gone, not sure if it's been relocated, there's a bit more space, and no sign of the restaurant end of things, there's a bar up the back end too. The Guinness is sound as well.

And I was wearing shorts because the weather is grand. And I was cutting grass with a strimmer. I'm not that crusty. But McGs is still (and was, very much so) a sound pub.

"Oh but Moe - the dank. The Dank!"

Thanks for the review, it sounds cool.

*I'm kidding about the crusty bit k?!

sueme wrote: »
    *I'm kidding about the crusty bit k?!

I know! I was going for humourously defensive. Oh well. Should've waited till I was sober. (Famous last words.)

sobriquet wrote: »
    I know! I was going for humourously defensive. Oh well. Should've waited till I was sober. (Famous last words.)

Good. Phew!

How the head? Thats a good way to review the quality of the pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

walked past it last night about 9.30pm, had a peak as going past, looks nice from i seen, liked the look of the wee snug to the left of the door with its own bar hatch,

will have to sample a few beers in it soon, possiblely even a boards beer ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Walked through it earlier - looks exactly the same...

Oh except there's no beer garden...

I passed it today and it looked like it had a good crowd for mid-afternoon.

The state of the rest of the street though, its a joke, I still don't think it was the right thing to do, but leaving it so long without improving is ridiculous. Cafe Fleur have got nice partitions and tables etc, but the street just looks rough.

Oh except there's no beer garden...

Shame.

I think they might be putting in a smoking area but pffth to that... There looked like there was still some work going on outback.

sueme wrote: »
    The state of the rest of the street though, its a joke, I still don't think it was the right thing to do, but leaving it so long without improving is ridiculous. Cafe Fleur have got nice partitions and tables etc, but the street just looks rough.

I reckon pedestrianising O'Connell street was the right idea but yeah, the road badly needs to be resurfaced. It may have been that they were waiting until Johnstons Court was finished before bothering. Once more shops start taking advantage and cafes/restaurants(/pubs) move in it'll make all the difference - no idea if it's planned but assume that was the intention. Walking up after work today, there was seating outside McGs, the Bistro and the Cafe.

The beer garden, I doubt they'd bother putting it back - Johnstons court will have blocked all the light. They might get permission to put seating out the front too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Therr have been significant changes in Hargadons,

"There are places I remember
    All my life though some have changed
    Some forever, not for better
    Some have gone and some remain"

Its not an improvement. The snug at the far end of the bar on the left is gone. it was the most coveted place for any gang of people to sieze for a long siege in the Bar. The screen between the Snug and bar is still there, but the side partition is gone opening up it up to the rest of the shop. It is like the houses of Parliment in London without Big Ben. The Bar has been remodeled, the counter has been raised and the space behind expanded. One hundred years of Whiskey, tea and Tobacco stains have been removed from the marble and with them the echo of long ago coversations, it is now white as a corpse . The pot belly stove is gone (good riddance) The barmen are wearing incredibly camp ankle length aprons combined with dicky bows and look suitably emabarassed. There are other changes. It has the atmosphere of a theme bar crossed with a museum, though that could change with use.

I can not understand why anybody would take a pristine and perfect Edwardian Public House and try and improve it. A chippy on duty told me that An Taisce have initiated proccedures against the licensees.

Put the snug Back please.

I'll let ye know how the pints are tomorrow.

I'll let ye know how the pints are tomorrow.

Well its 20 to 10, you'd want to get a move on. :p

Therr have been significant changes in Hargadons,

"There are places I remember
    All my life though some have changed
    Some forever, not for better
    Some have gone and some remain"

Its not an improvement. The snug at the far end of the bar on the left is gone. it was the most coveted place for any gang of people to sieze for a long siege in the Bar. The screen between the Snug and bar is still there, but the side partition is gone opening up it up to the rest of the shop. It is like the houses of Parliment in London without Big Ben. The Bar has been remodeled, the counter has been raised and the space behind expanded. One hundred years of Whiskey, tea and Tobacco stains have been removed from the marble and with them the echo of long ago coversations, it is now white as a corpse . The pot belly stove is gone (good riddance) The barmen are wearing incredibly camp ankle length aprons combined with dicky bows and look suitably emabarassed. There are other changes. It has the atmosphere of a theme bar crossed with a museum, though that could change with use.

I can not understand why anybody would take a pristine and perfect Edwardian Public House and try and improve it. A chippy on duty told me that An Taisce have initiated proccedures against the licensees.

Put the snug Back please.

Interesting review. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I suppose we are lucky it is there at all , they wanted to knock it. . The developing classes here are profoundly and proudly phillistine, The destruction of our natural and built heritage routine, There was a little publicity about Hardagons which saved it from the wreckers ball,.the views around Lough Gill are destroyed by the "developments" at St Angelas. There was nothing about it in the paper, I went for a walk in slish wood one day and there it was out of the blue a Potola in pVC .

I don't know what you're complaining about - i thought the dicky bows were lovely...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

Well, Its definitely open! Was in it last Friday night! Great atmosphere as was years ago!! Will definitely be a regular again!!
    Anyone else?:D

Anybody hear who took over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Theres already a thread for the Crozon Inn on this page , as well as the other one you opened up !

• Advertisement

Oh dear...very sorry!

Advertisement