Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The best of the Seattle bands.

• 05-06-2008 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Although often lumped into the grunge category bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, while sometimes similiar each had(have) pretty unique sounds. Regardless of that which was your favourite and why?
    For me its AIC cos of Staley's voice and Cantrell's songwriting and riffing. That's the **** for me! Love the rest of them too mind^^
    Also reckon that the mother love bone album is legend as well

Which was your favourite? 69 votes

Pearl Jam
    0% 0 votes
    Soundgarden
    17% 12 votes
    Alice in Chains
    17% 12 votes
    Nirvana
    40% 28 votes
    Mudhoney
    24% 17 votes
    Mother Love Bone
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

AIC for me, with Soundgarden a close second, followed by Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Alice in Chains were far more consistant than the other bands in terms of releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Love all the Seattle grunge music really.

Soundgarden definetly take the biscuit for me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Soundgarden for me.
    I remember the first time I heard Hands All Over I nearly passed out.
    What a voice.Still adore Chris Cornell even tho he has sold out!

Closely followed by AIC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Very tough to decide. I like them all. The big four were Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and AIC. I nearly went for Nirvana because of the impact they had on me as a young un. But I went for Soundgarden because if I had a choice id want to see them live the most now. And how has Cornell sold out? I liked Audioslave and the James Bond Song (I seem to be the only one who did!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Of course someone will point out that its a stupid topic, you cant say who is better. But personal favourite, would be Alice in Chains. As you point out they all have a similar sound. but i think AIC was the most unique or the most to my taste anyways :p I think they would have had the intelligence and depth in their creative abilities to stand the test of time too had it not all been so tragic. But maybe thats what makes it so good, that we only had them briefly and they were very good?

Loved Soudgarden, Nirvana too, but personally find Chris Cornell difficult to listen to anymore, even when stickin on Soundgarden, perhaps i was over exposed to his singing when my housemate was a big fan.

I presume the reference to CC selling out has something got to do with him being produced by the guy that seems to control mainstream pop these days, Timbaland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Nirvana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

AIC just gets the nod over soundgarden.
    Staley had a great voice and I love Jerry's guitar playing, simple but effective.
    Pity soundgarden lost the plot after superunknown, down on the upside is a terrible album apart from "Pretty Noose" which I thought was quite good.
    Never really took to Nirvana to be honest and only like the first Pearl Jam album, they started to sound a bit too the samey for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Metal Church

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Neo# wrote: »
    Very tough to decide. I like them all. The big four were Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and AIC. I nearly went for Nirvana because of the impact they had on me as a young un. But I went for Soundgarden because if I had a choice id want to see them live the most now. And how has Cornell sold out? I liked Audioslave and the James Bond Song (I seem to be the only one who did!).

I liked Audioslave as well, the first two albums at least anyway^^Revelations was fairly crap.
    For me anyway when I listen to nirvana and pearl jam these days it sounds a bit dated whereas AIC and soundgarden still sound fresh as fcuk.
    Also loved some of the collaborative stuff these bands did like Mad Season and Temple of the Dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Of what is on the list there, it would be, for me, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney and then Nivana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Soundgarden or Pearl Jam, absolutely adore both of them. Temple of the Dog are freakin awesome too. I like Alice in Chains as well, I've just gone off them in the last while. Nirvana were overrated though, I really don't like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

AIC for me, album for album most consitent and diverse music to come from the era. Followed by Soundgarden and Nirvana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Alice In Chains. Always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I can't see how Chris Cornell 'Sold out' at all ! And I agree with Neo, the James Bond theme he wrote was excellent !!

It'd have to be Soundgarden for me.

Yeah the james bond song was good, but a lot of his other solo stuff is criminally bad I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Mad Season
    Above is never far from my cd player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Would have to go for AIC for me. They were just one of those perfect bands, had everything going for them, made really great songs. Would then go for Pearl Jam after that, unbelievable band I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I mean Chris selling out with the Carry On album. I find it very mainstream
    I loved Euphoria Morning and suppose I was expecting similar.

I liked Audioslave too and preferred Revelations to Out of Exile.

I adore the man just dont think I like the path his music is taking

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I love all those bands,but im gonna have to go with m heart on this and go for nirvana :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

soundgarden pip AIC for me but only just. 2 great bands with very unique sounds. nirvana are very over-rated imo. because of cobain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Don't make me choose! I suppose I listen to AiC the most though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Clicked other. Melvins and Earth own all of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

AIC and then Soundgarden do it for me, with their "progressive grunge" outlook.

Pearl Jam had the 1st album of the century, and then immediately pulled a "Van Halen", dropping the quality with each successive release. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for them for that first album, though.

Nirvana got where they were mostly through charisma. But hey, they gave us Dave Grohl! Excuse me while I go throw up in my mouth. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

AIC all the way... like a lot of the others too but I have to say I listen to AIC still, where as the others not so much... LOVE Layne's voice... LOVE IT.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

actually im gonna change my vote to AIC :-).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Presidents of the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Alice in Chains did it for me, Staley's unreal voice and melody's, cantrell one of my favourite guitar players (he'd be in my top 5), Favourite album obviously "Dirt" but i love "Facelift" the big intro with "We Die Young" Then "Man in the Box" fu@kin ace!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Wow I really didnt expect AIC to be that much in the lead:eek: They are awesome alright. Although that last album they brought out wasnt up to par with the stuff they had before but still very good. They have a couple of acoustic albums which were really brilliant too and showed their range. I reckon if Stayleys drug habit had been controlled they would have been even bigger. Anyone know if they will come touring round these parts again with new singer?

Alice in Chains the winners by a long shot: Songs like this explain why I suppose---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9GAEFTeWko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

Alice In Chains for the win,very consistent with good tunes after even more good tunes,Facelift is epic and of course Dirt is quality.
    gotta love Soundgarden for Badmotorfinger alrite and then Pearl Jam's Ten and Vs are a good listen aswell,Ten is great.

Advertisement