Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Soil

Options
  • 05-06-2008 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭

Front lawn is in very bad condition,half lawn is just moss and small amount of grass, the rest id just muck, with this in mind I am starting from scratch and so will be looking to get hold of a large quantity of top soil. How much can I expect to pay for good quality top soil, someone has mentioned 100 Euro per tonne, would this be correct? Tks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I haven't seen prices for topsoil in Ireland, but in the UK civils market, we are paying £250 to £300 for a wagon load - say 15 tonne. So £20 a tonne to me working for a big civil engineering outfit. I would expect to pay £30 a tonne as joe public or 40 euros. Nowhere near 100 euro.

Price will depend on the quantity ordered - it is considerably more expensive if bought in 40kg bags from the garden centre, less expensive in bulk bags and cheapest in the loose, by the wagon load. Look for aggregates suppliers in golden pages and shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭secman

My lawn is in reasonable good nick, next doors is terrible, weeds, moss etc. Exact same top soil. I cut grass every week, I feed it every month. He cuts his when he's arsed to, never feeds it. Top soil is not necessarily the answer , like everything, you only get out of it what you put into it.

He's killed off the grass at least 3 times and started afresh, but never puts the required effort in.

" steps off my box, rant over"

Please dont' take this as an attack. just some advice.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

about €300 a wagon load in wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

secman wrote: »
    My lawn is in reasonable good nick, next doors is terrible, weeds, moss etc. Exact same top soil. I cut grass every week, I feed it every month. He cuts his when he's arsed to, never feeds it. Top soil is not necessarily the answer , like everything, you only get out of it what you put into it.

He's killed off the grass at least 3 times and started afresh, but never puts the required effort in.

" steps off my box, rant over"

Please dont' take this as an attack. just some advice.

Secman

No worries, the area in question got very little sunlight as it was shadowed by largre trees and shrubs which are now gone,because of the shrubs, I lost have the lawn also their is a slight slope to the wall, this combined with the fact that I need to raise the leval of the lawn slightly to bring it up to new driveway curbs is the reason for the topsoil.

I have a gardener and he quoted me the 100 Euro per tonne for topsoil, I need about 15 tonnes, so I am talking about 1500 Euro which does seem excessive, he told me I could get cheaper but quality would not be as good, still I have been told by other people that it seems too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OPENROAD wrote: »
    No worries, the area in question got very little sunlight as it was shadowed by largre trees and shrubs which are now gone,because of the shrubs, I lost have the lawn also their is a slight slope to the wall, this combined with the fact that I need to raise the leval of the lawn slightly to bring it up to new driveway curbs is the reason for the topsoil.

I have a gardener and he quoted me the 100 Euro per tonne for topsoil, I need about 15 tonnes, so I am talking about 1500 Euro which does seem excessive, he told me I could get cheaper but quality would not be as good, still I have been told by other people that it seems too much.

Perhaps you should clarify whether the gardener is quoting (a) delivery rate or (b) delivery and handling? For example how and who will distribute soil etc?

€ 100/tonne for (a) would seem expensive, but reasonable for (b).

PS 15 tonne would cover a vast area even at 50-75mm depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

PS 15 tonne would cover a vast area even at 50-75mm depth

was thinking this also as sonnenblum points out in last comment

what about a turf lawn?

i went this route last year using summerhilllawns.ie and would recommend it.After dealing with drainage issues by laying drainage pipes and routing the pipes to a sump hole, i then got a heap of horse manure from stables down the road and dug this in and left for a few months. Next i killed off all the weeds and dug out the nasty ones when dead then i rotavated the garden and mixed in therootzone i got from them.Actually i ordered 3 tonne of their rootsoil to mix in with my soil and to help level garden, still got 1 and half tonne sitting in front garden(hence my comment above).

they also sell screened topsoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

I live in Connemara where topsoil is scarce but I still managed to get some excellent stuff for 250 a load. That is a lorry load, around 26 tons.Got 4 so far and just ordered another. Bloody garden is costing as much as the house:eek: For topsoil you should expect to pay from 250 upwards to 400 for screened topsoil depending on the area in which you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Foleyart,
    Is your supplier based in Connemara also or is he travelling from another part of the county. I'm another man in need of topsoil.

OP €100 a tonne is defo way to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Foleyart,
    Is your supplier based in Connemara also or is he travelling from another part of the county. I'm another man in need of topsoil.

OP €100 a tonne is defo way to much.

Yup he is based in Connemara but the topsoil is from east Galway. Good black loamy soil.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Foleyart,
    Any chance you could pass me on that guys contact details and your name so I can tell him where i got the number when he calls please ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement