Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fern britton lies about weight loss

Options
  • 05-06-2008 6:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

she had a gastric band operation 2 years ago and didn't bother to tell anyone while doing weightloss advertising
    The ITV star added: “All the magazines started printing articles saying all this stuff and a lot of it was not actually from my lips. So anything you’ve read that has anything I’ve said about image, diet, blah blah, I haven’t said.

“I’ve been very careful for the past two years and said, ‘Yes I eat less and exercise more’ which is absolutely true.

“I didn’t lie, and there’s no need to lie.”

... except she 200,000 grand a year to advertise ryvita and has a fitness video out

she's doing this my body is private spin yet she's getting money from her image.

ryvita defends her
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jun/02/advertising.healthandwellbeing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

She looks great now tbh!
    She said she didnt lie she jus didnt tell anyone about it!! Whats da diff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

NAGGIE03 wrote: »
    She looks great now tbh!
    She said she didnt lie she jus didnt tell anyone about it!! Whats da diff?

Considering she was promoting a dieting product, it is very unethical to hide the fact that her weight loss has little to do with the dieting product.

She's totally in the wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

She should have made it known she has gastric band operation

I was always a fan of Fern she was always happy with her weight and curves and now she does this :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

omg, advertisers in untruth shocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

free do it yourself gastric band with every packet of ryvita

• Advertisement

ITV has issued a statement supporting Fern Britton after she confirmed she'd had a gastric band fitted.

On Monday 2nd June, the presenter told viewers only five people knew about the operation – revealed in a Sunday newspaper - and that she hadn’t felt the need to ring around and let everyone know.

She added, “I didn’t want to let anyone down – but a girl must have some things they keep to themselves."
    Press play on the image above to watch Fern talking about the gastric band on the show.

An ITV spokesperson has said: "ITV fully supports and respects Fern's right to medical confidentiality. The treatment that she received was of medical importance and was recommended by her GP and surgeon. She had every right to keep it private.

"It was never Fern's intention to mislead anyone nor for anyone to mislead on her behalf. She has now openly discussed her treatment, even though she had no requirement to do so, and she thanks This Morning viewers for their kindness and understanding."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Its not as if she went and got a boob job,she was right to keep it to herself after all she did have surgery,which does carry a risk.In anyway after a gastric band you can only eat small amounts of food so she could only eat ryvita anyway lol.If something happened while she had surgery well the family have a right to some privacy not everything is public property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

JP Liz wrote: »
    She should have made it known she has gastric band operation

I was always a fan of Fern she was always happy with her weight and curves and now she does this :mad:
    Ah she was seriously overweight - she needed to shed the fat for her health, never mind image.

Similar story recently for some Big Brother has-been: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/columnists/jane_moore/article1161156.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah she was seriously overweight - she needed to shed the fat for her health, never mind image.

Similar story recently for some Big Brother has-been: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/columnists/jane_moore/article1161156.ece

I don't think she was 'seriously overweight', she was overweight yes, but not morbidly so. I always thought that doctors only recommended a gastric band when the risk from the persons weight was greater than the risk posed by having this surgery. I don't believe that Fern Britton was in this category. It is my humble opinion that she had this surgery for vanity rather than health reasons. Also, her husband is a chef, you would think that he would be able to whip her up tasty, low fat meals if she was really serious about losing weight, seems like laziness to me.

As to those saying it's her business and what harm, she is a famous person in the public eye. People look up to her, fans probably tried to lose weight inspired by her sucess and may well have become depressed and un-motivated when they failed to get the same results as her.

Ok, she says that she never lied about the surgery, but it is a lie by ommission to not give the reason for her dranmatic weight loss. At the end of the day, she made a decision to keep it secret, but she surely cannot be suprised by this back-lash against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I am outraged!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

ncmc wrote: »
    I don't think she was 'seriously overweight', she was overweight yes, but not morbidly so. I always thought that doctors only recommended a gastric band when the risk from the persons weight was greater than the risk posed by having this surgery. I don't believe that Fern Britton was in this category. It is my humble opinion that she had this surgery for vanity rather than health reasons. Also, her husband is a chef, you would think that he would be able to whip her up tasty, low fat meals if she was really serious about losing weight, seems like laziness to me.

As to those saying it's her business and what harm, she is a famous person in the public eye. People look up to her, fans probably tried to lose weight inspired by her sucess and may well have become depressed and un-motivated when they failed to get the same results as her.

Ok, she says that she never lied about the surgery, but it is a lie by ommission to not give the reason for her dranmatic weight loss. At the end of the day, she made a decision to keep it secret, but she surely cannot be suprised by this back-lash against her.

Fern was most definitely obese. I'm a 6'2" guy who weighs 18 stone and that is medically obese. Fern probably weighed the same or more and is probably only 5'6". So you're right when you say she wasnt 'seriously overwight'. She was much worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Beano wrote: »
    Fern was most definitely obese. I'm a 6'2" guy who weighs 18 stone and that is medically obese. Fern probably weighed the same or more and is probably only 5'6". So you're right when you say she wasnt 'seriously overwight'. She was much worse than that.

Ok, that is a fair point. After googling her, it is claimed she has lost 5 stone so I suppose that means she weighed 16-17 stone, so yes she would have been obese. I don't mean to come across as un-sympathetic to people who struggle with their weight or people who opt for gastric bypass, It just seems to me that it is been seen these days as a common aid to weight loss, rather than the serious operation that it is. I know Fern was quoted at her biggest as saying she 'didn't believe in diets' which leads me to believe that she opted for surgery rather than adopting a healthy attitude toward fitness and nutrition.

At the end of the day, yes, she is entitled to do whatever she likes with her own body. The thing that has annoyed me most is that she was quoted while she was losing the weight, as saying that she lost it through sensible eating and cycling to work. This is a lie, the main reason for the weight loss was in fact surgery. She lied to her fans who probably felt like failures when they could not achieve the results that she did.

P.s. I wanted to attach a link which showed all these quotes, but I am such a dufus, I couldn't figure out how to do that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

This is just hilarious
    The facts as we see it are simple, Fern has lost weight through a regime of healthy eating and exercise," said Nigel Nelms, the marketing director at Ryvita.

"The gastric band which she has talked about may or may not have helped her in the early days but we respect her rights to privacy on this personal matter.

They should just admit they're idiots, sack her and move on imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

gastric band
    I suspected she had aids when I noticed her dramatic weight loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭keefs08

The 1st time i saw her after it it was pretty obvious that she wasnt just dieting...wat a dramatic change it made though.....
    She has the money (from all then advertising!)and well once shes happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I can't believe I was lied to. I made the BBC!

It has been announced that Fern Britton is leaving This Morning to pursue other avenues and spend more time with her family.

Her last day on This Morning will be on July 17th, which is also her birthday.

Advertisement