Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Lights - another fine mess

Options
  • 05-06-2008 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

I've heard that our City Council have decided to add three sets of traffic lights to the Dock Road.

On the way out the dock road the new lights will be placed within 200m of each other, the first lights will be placed at the junction of Atlas Ave., the next lights will be at the junction of Courtbrack Ave. and the final (nay I wont say final, say 3rd.) will be at the entrance to the new housing estate a bit further out the road.

The dock road is slow enough without adding these lights, is this the councils way of getting road users to switch to the toll tunnel once opened?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

will these also be built by the uk company to british standards like every other set of lights thats gone up recently...some of them just make no sense at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Speaking of traffic lights I see some kind souls decided to smash the traffic lights at both sides of the bridge coming into Parteen from the long pavement. They have been out now since the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

The new two lanes outbound on the Dock road make it very dangerouse to get on to the Dock road heading for City. These lights will make it safer. However, if the two lanes was to get traffic out of City faster the traffic lights will merely slow it down more.
    I would have put road markings similar to the Industrial part of the Dock road where the middle lane is for traffic turning off.

On another point; ever wondered why there is a wide pavement all along the Dock road but no pedestrians. Could easily be modified to take cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Roadend wrote: »
    Speaking of traffic lights I see some kind souls decided to smash the traffic lights at both sides of the bridge coming into Parteen from the long pavement. They have been out now since the weekend.

Lousy Clare bastards....

Surely that's incredibly dangerous at the minute so?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Lousy Clare bastards....

Surely that's incredibly dangerous at the minute so?

It seems to be a battle of nerve at the minute over who will reverse first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

The new two lanes outbound on the Dock road make it very dangerouse to get on to the Dock road heading for City. These lights will make it safer. However, if the two lanes was to get traffic out of City faster the traffic lights will merely slow it down more.
    I would have put road markings similar to the Industrial part of the Dock road where the middle lane is for traffic turning off.

On another point; ever wondered why there is a wide pavement all along the Dock road but no pedestrians. Could easily be modified to take cyclists.

There should try to reduce the number of right turns on of off the Dock Road, it starts and ends with a roundabout why can't the traffic go round the the roundabout and turn left as required, especially where there isn't space for a hatched area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Pshan wrote: »
    There should try to reduce the number of right turns on of off the Dock Road, it starts and ends with a roundabout why can't the traffic go round the the roundabout and turn left as required, especially where there isn't space for a hatched area.

because the distances between the roundabouts are too large,to allow that. you'd wind up with a scenario where, in rush hour traffic it wouldn't be just the outbound lane blocked, the inbound lane would be blocked up too with those trying to turn left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Roadend wrote: »

Noticed that last night. Kind chaps indeed. If they didn't replace that bridge in the boom times - then we are stuck with it for another 1000 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

...QUOTE]

I thought the whole idea was to get traffic moving faster out of the city?Christ, its backwards we are going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

speaking of traffic light any opinions on the new sets of lights erected on the tipperary road? seems like alot of lights!! wonder when they will be switched on.. on one hand there has been alot of accidents there so lights might help.. on the other i hope it not going to cause huge traffic jams!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

The city council always advocates the difficulty with right turns at junctions when deciding to erect lights - if they continue with this policy every junction will eventually have lights.

Some of the roads leading to the dock road are used as a rat run and now these drivers are to be assisted by erecting lights to give them easier access and slow down one of the main routes in the city.

Anyone coming down Courtbrack Ave wanting to turn for the city should be forced out the dock road to the next roundabout to come back in again. The housing estate shouldn't have got permission to exit onto the dock road with a right turn for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

New lights at henry street too!
    It's ridiculous.
    They placed them directly outside Henry St Garda station.
    There are already lights at the junction of Mallow and Henry and junction of Cecil and Henry.
    The sets at the junction are need in fairness but the new ones are just useless.
    Although they have closed the footpath on the old GPO side.

New lights at henry street too!
    It's ridiculous.
    They placed them directly outside Henry St Garda station.
    There are already lights at the junction of Mallow and Henry and junction of Cecil and Henry.
    The sets at the junction are need
    in fairness but the new ones are just useless.
    Although they have closed the footpath on the old GPO side.

Again I disagree, why do we need lights here - if traffic can't cross Henry St. without being aided by lights then they should come up by Jury's Inn and use the lights there to get onto Henry St. and then get into lane, if they need lights at he Cecil St. junction then why aren't they fitted on the Cecil St/O'Connell St. junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

To be honest I was more along the lines of saying they're needed for pedestrians.
    Henry St can be awfully busy at times and extremely difficult to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stab*City wrote: »
    speaking of traffic light any opinions on the new sets of lights erected on the tipperary road? seems like alot of lights!! wonder when they will be switched on.. on one hand there has been alot of accidents there so lights might help.. on the other i hope it not going to cause huge traffic jams!!

I heard that Leanne Moore has been invited to offically switch those lights on at Christmas... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think we should allow, vehicles that are turning left at a set of traffic lights to yield right of way, it would certainly improve traffic no end.

I have seen it done in the states, and its probably one of the best things that the Yanks have actually thought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

its a disgrace who broke the lights but also the road athoritys,council and the law havent gotten them fixed by now it happend last sunday nite,............i have a soultion to those bridges put a closed in pedestrian walkway type tunnel on top of the wall,suspended over the water??quite easy to do i reckon in this day and age,then take away the foot path ,no need of traffic lights then??problem solver?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Has anyone seen the cock up with the traffic lights on plassey road coming from the technology park towards the city (the turn off for ul)
    They've 2 traffic lights put up beside each other,one is blocking the view of the other one so you have to basically stop to see if the light is green or not.
    Very surprised there hasnt been an accident.

I think we should allow, vehicles that are turning left at a set of traffic lights to yield right of way, it would certainly improve traffic no end.

I have seen it done in the states, and its probably one of the best things that the Yanks have actually thought up.

For us to bring that change in would be close to rocket science for our law makers and local authorities but it certainly would help the motorist.

its a disgrace who broke the lights but also the road athoritys,council and the law havent gotten them fixed by now it happend last sunday nite,............i have a soultion to those bridges put a closed in pedestrian walkway type tunnel on top of the wall,suspended over the water??quite easy to do i reckon in this day and age,then take away the foot path ,no need of traffic lights then??problem solver?

I think the restrictions aren't just for the footpath I think the weight of 2 lorries on the bridge at the same time was also a consideration for the restriction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Considering the general poor standard of irish driving would we really want to add something like this to the equation?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Quite true Bazz26, but surely we are a step ahead of the Yanks in the brain dept.

But saying that, Yanks dont have roundabouts....except in Boston! God Irish people cant even use their indicators

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

jackncoke wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the cock up with the traffic lights on plassey road coming from the technology park towards the city (the turn off for ul)
    They've 2 traffic lights put up beside each other,one is blocking the view of the other one so you have to basically stop to see if the light is green or not.

Bit mad all right..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I drive out the dock road most days when going to work in Dell and that bloody road has made me be late on enough occasions already, now its going to get worse :(

jackncoke wrote: »

I think those lights were fitted incorrectly - there's two sets of lights at either side of the yellow box facing the oncoming traffic, I'd imagine one of them should face the other way that way the driver shouldn't have a blind spot as happens now.

Wait till the local authority are in court explaining themselves then we'll see a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

When theres an accident at a badly designed junction, shouldn't the designer be held responsible in part?

Aaaah the country where no-one is responsible for anything :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

phog wrote: »
    Anyone coming down Courtbrack Ave wanting to turn for the city should be forced out the dock road to the next roundabout to come back in again.

Yes - the simple solution - should be implemented in a few other situations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

the lights are turned on on the tipp road. i see a few problems already. heading towards town, there is no flashing yellow feeder to turn left onto the dual carraigeway. cars were stopped there pointlessly. further on, the lights to turn right and the lights to go straight on are quite close to each other, might be misleading.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

phog wrote: »
    I think those lights were fitted incorrectly - there's two sets of lights at either side of the yellow box facing the oncoming traffic, I'd imagine one of them should face the other way that way the driver shouldn't have a blind spot as happens now.

Wait till the local authority are in court explaining themselves then we'll see a change.

Drove by today and it seems to be fixed. The one blocking the other now mirrors the blocked one. Why? Couldn't tell you. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

zuroph wrote: »
    the lights are turned on on the tipp road. i see a few problems already. heading towards town, there is no flashing yellow feeder to turn left onto the dual carraigeway. cars were stopped there pointlessly. further on, the lights to turn right and the lights to go straight on are quite close to each other, might be misleading.

ya i seen that seems like an awful lot of sets of lights there too.. luckily on my way to work this morn i got all greens!! lets see if im as lucky on the way home..

Advertisement