Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing from shotgun to rifle?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,

I have a shotgun for the past 4 or 5 years and was thinking of buying a rifle instead. Is it easy to replace it since I have a firearm licence already or is it like applying from start again?

Thanks

Mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Depends on your FO (firearms officer). Some will do a straight substitution and write the changes on the licence, others require a new application.

Best thing is to go in and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Hi,

I have a shotgun for the past 4 or 5 years and was thinking of buying a rifle instead. Is it easy to replace it since I have a firearm licence already or is it like applying from start again?

Thanks

Mick
    i would be suprised if they did a straight swap as the shot gun costs 25 for the licence and the rifle will cost ya 38 ..the licences are out on july 31 just apply for a new licence on the rifle it will prob take that long to get it anyway and just surender the shotgun then

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

My local fo wont let me swap rifle for a shotgun, have to apply for new cert
    says it cant be done.
    Whats the story with two shotgun certs are they both €25 each or is the second cheaper?
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Second one is €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

In general you can swap shotguns for shotguns and rifles for rifles ( same or smaller caliber ) you can't swap one for the other as the permit fee is different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fishneedbikes

Thanks folks,

just a quick one on the 2nd licence being cheaper. I have an under and over licence for the past 4+ years and have got a 2nd licence a few weeks ago for a pump action. Should the pump action licence be only €6? I paid the full €25

Thanks
    Mick

Advertisement