Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas Cook UK only Grumble

Options
  • 05-06-2008 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

I found an excellent offer for a 1 week holiday for 2 in Zante in June on the Thomas Cook UK site departing from Belfast. Was £376 all in for 2. When I tried to book it they wouldn't take a booking that didn't have a credit card from a UK address. When I phoned, the girl I delat with was very apologetic and said I wasn't the first to call with this issue. She couldn't explain or understand the reason and I asked her to mention the issue to management. The same flight is available for a lot more on sites I could book through though.

Was very miffed. Bah!

Havn't given up yet and am going to try booking by phone through NI. Anyone else dealt with this?

Comments

Expedia are like that aswell.

I just put UK after Ireland when online for them and it works.
    It's not as if theres any fraud issues with the card-obviously there aren't.
    Try it and post back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I got that a in Jan last year when trying Expedia. I got this reply from them

Thank you for your enquiry concerning the restriction to complete bookings on the Expedia.co.uk site when using an originating address within the Republic of Ireland.

Due to restricting Irish regulations relating to the offering of travel products in and out of the Republic of Ireland, we currently do not accept bookings from customers with a booking address within the Irish Republic. Work is in progress to rectify this situation but in the meantime we regret that we are unable to process your booking at this time.

So I found another company that wasn't restricted by the Irish regulations and booked with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

This is an old thread. Someone had the same problem and went up to the travel shop in Newry. The price in the shop was higher but they had a price match policy so the OP got the price he wanted.

I will try to find it and will post back again.

Jeff

This is an old thread. Someone had the same problem and went up to the travel shop in Newry. The price in the shop was higher but they had a price match policy so the OP got the price he wanted.

I will try to find it and will post back again.

Jeff

Found it. This should help you get sorted.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055244067&highlight=superscouse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Expedia are like that aswell.

I just put UK after Ireland when online for them and it works.
    It's not as if theres any fraud issues with the card-obviously there aren't.
    Try it and post back.

what do you do about the postcode? There are also big (must be in the United Kingdom) notices

Have tried with no luck so far.

• Advertisement

Go into the travel shop or even ring them. The lovely Aisling may still be there and see how you get on. Newry is a handy run from dublin and you could stock up on the booze while up there. I do!

Will be phoning the lovely Ashling.

Thanks everyone. Will let you know how I get on later. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Or what you can do is use a friends address in the UK, just ring your CC company and chagne the address over, advised them your staying there temporarily.

You can now purchase stuff with a UK billing address.

Yay!the lovely Carol in Newry. Couldn't have been more helpful and gave me the price on the website without me even asking for it. I will have to pick the tickets up but sure I can do a bit of discount shopping for my HOLIDAY wardrobe.

Thanks all and especially superscouse. U the man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Security is the reason that most UK sites don't let you book flights etc with a non-UK card.

When you type a UK postcode into the system, the address can be automatically verified with the credit card company. On-line merchants have no defense against charge backs on credit cards and therefore must do everything possible to ensure that the transaction is genuine.

Technically, UK travel agents are also only bonded when they sell flights etc originating from the UK.

However, I was able to book with Thomson before, I had to ring the call centre in Scotland and do the transaction as a telephone booking using the call centre address.

• Advertisement

Grawns wrote: »
    Yay!the lovely Carol in Newry. Couldn't have been more helpful and gave me the price on the website without me even asking for it. I will have to pick the tickets up but sure I can do a bit of discount shopping for my HOLIDAY wardrobe.

Thanks all and especially superscouse. U the man :D

:DYou're making me blush

Dont get to drunk

Enjoy yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

:DYou're making me blush

Dont get to drunk

Enjoy yourself

Since when do you blush?

Be honest , are u a real scouser?

Advertisement