Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alcohol Legislation re: Opening Hours

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Elem wrote: »
    Theatre licence is gone so no more nightclubs.. everyones getting a publicans licence so you won't have 3.30 late opening anymore.
    Where do you see this?

Late licences ("special exemption orders") are still allowed for, they just have new conditions attached. It's Section 10 of the bill (p.9).

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Had first hand experience of the newest gov't farce last night. Went out for a drink after work(I'm a barman) but unfortunately couldn't enjoy myself in the hour I had. Tried the Viper rooms after Purty Kitchen closed to chance it. But no the little man was screwed over by the gov't again. I wouldnt mind the places which did enjoy special exemption orders such as coppers and viper rooms etc aren't the type of place in which you would find 'scum' or any bad riff-raff. Just decent people having a good time.
    I dont for one second understand the mindframe of the gov't which is hurting the employment of many people by doing this. And not only barmen and security staff but I'm pretty sure our tourist sector will be hit. And in the long run it wont make a flaming difference to so called 'binge drinking' and trouble on the streets...infact it may cause more.
    Its a massive farce and I dearly hope it wont be long until the gov't realise their stupidity to do such a thing in this day and age.(*cough* when it hits the gov't coffers through excise duty *cough*)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

The Irish Government sucks! Backward, corrupt and ignorant AH's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

has any place got these special exemptions on a weekly basis?

Yes. Some places even have late licences several nights a week.

• Advertisement

so for coppers, viper room etc nothing has really changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

BeerNut wrote: »
    Where do you see this?

Late licences ("special exemption orders") are still allowed for, they just have new conditions attached. It's Section 10 of the bill (p.9).

I manage a nightclub in Dublin city centre, and from Wednesday our theatre licence is removed and we were issued with publican licence. No more after 2.30 drink severing. The bar extension every night to open to 2.30 is now €420, previously €210. These news laws are destroying Irish businesses.

Viper Room, Pal Joeys, SIN and any other business with a theatre licence will close at 2.30, previously 3.30. These new laws come into effect to help 'public order'. Within the next few weeks everyone will realize these new laws will make the streets an unsafe place.

Do you really think that closing an hour early will make that much of a difference? (This is a genuine question -- I'm not a late-night drinker and it doesn't look like much of a change to me.)

Plus, the Irish on-trade rarely have a problem passing on their costs to consumers. €210 a night seems easy enough to recoup on cover price and drinks. What are the margins on a bottle of Ballygowan these days? ;)

Do you really think that closing an hour early will make that much of a difference? (This is a genuine question -- I'm not a late-night drinker and it doesn't look like much of a change to me.)

Plus, the Irish on-trade rarely have a problem passing on their costs to consumers. €210 a night seems easy enough to recoup on cover price and drinks. What are the margins on a bottle of Ballygowan these days? ;)

We only open our doors at 10, our theatre licence only permits us to serve alcohol 1hour before performance. We make all our money in the last hour.. we could have 5 people in the club during the week until 2.30. Most of the customers that come in at this time are industry staff. Monday-Thursday will be recorded at a massive loss for us.. im not going to publish the estimate. People come to our club because it's late opening. We need customers to sell 'Ballygowan'. We also lose one of our best nights, which is Sunday, as the new law states we must close our business day at 1am. We cannot open earlier during the day because i think we will be wasting our time.

Nightclubs don’t make as much money as pubs because we have a lot of expenses i.e. DJs, Lighting, Sound and a lot more staff. I can see all the usual nightclubs closing or trying a different route of business within the next 6 months. Adding the extension to open until 2.30 is €420.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Viper Room, Pal Joeys, SIN and any other business with a theatre licence will close at 2.30, previously 3.30. These new laws come into effect to help 'public order'. Within the next few weeks everyone will realize these new laws will make the streets an unsafe place.
    This true? This is yet another backward step for the country. I think people are big and ugly enough to decide when to drink until. All this is doing is forcing EVERYONE our onto the streets at the same time. Taxi/chippers will be swamped with drunkards and the resulting violent incidences will increase. Stagger the closing times and you control the flow of people on the streets.

The government are getting more and more removed from the people imo.

• Advertisement

We only open our doors at 10, our theatre licence only permits us to serve alcohol 1hour before performance.
    But now you have a full pub licence, right? Can you open earlier and get me and my daytime drinking euros?

We make all our money in the last hour.. we could have 5 people in the club during the week until 2.30.
    Could this be because it's the last hour? With the last hour moved to 2.30, it's quite possible that this will remain the case, though there'll doubtless be a period of adjustment while the punters learn this.
    We cannot open earlier during the day because i think we will be wasting our time.
    Or you could give it a go. Try a different approach to selling drink for a living. This legislation was designed to make life easier for regular publicans. Become a regular publican.
    Nightclubs don’t make as much money as pubs because we have a lot of expenses i.e. DJs, Lighting, Sound and a lot more staff. I can see all the usual nightclubs closing or trying a different route of business within the next 6 months.
    Which looks like good common sense to me.

Adding the extension to open until 2.30 is €420.
    But you're only out €210 since you were already spending €210 a night.

But now you have a full pub licence, right? Can you open earlier and get me and my daytime drinking euros?

We've nothing really to offer people, we are a nightclub. We would have to start doing food.. which cost more money to open a kitchen and staff.

Could this be because it's the last hour? With the last hour moved to 2.30, it's quite possible that this will remain the case, though there'll doubtless be a period of adjustment while the punters learn this.

You werent listening.. it's industry staff we get in our doors at 2.30..

Or you could give it a go. Try a different approach to selling drink for a living. This legislation was designed to make life easier for regular publicans. Become a regular publican.

Which looks like good common sense to me.

It was changed for 'public order' and i was told that from the horses mouth. You give us the money to transform a entire nightclub then? Since its that simple.. planning permission on a temple bar property ect...

But you're only out €210 since you were already spending €210 a night.

We had a theatre licence, we didnt have to pay extensions.

Any more questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

THIS COUNTRY IS BACKWARDS!

seriously, almost every country i have been in you can get a beer at any hour of the day or night.

im raging!

Any more questions?
    Err, no. I think it's fairly clear by now that I know shag-all about your business. Anyway, I hope you can make a go of it under the new regime.
    seriously, almost every country i have been in you can get a beer at any hour of the day or night.
    And in most of them people know how to drink properly, whereas Irish people (or at least those you see spilling onto Camden Street in the early hours of Sunday mornings) don't.

The main problem is that the powers-that-be have got the cause and effect backwards, not copping that alcohol restrictions encourage binge drinking more than they control it.

This, added to the powerful vintners' cartel, leaves us with loud crowded superpubs selling rubbish drink at inflated prices to people who just want to swill as much as possible before they all get kicked out simultaneously.

The new act makes scapegoats of the off-trade. More alcohol legislation is due in the autumn. I'm guessing this one will blame either the bears or the immigants.
    helen.gif

Very bad call for the government. We deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

If the Irish people are treated like children, then they will act like children!

Give the responsibility back to the people to make their own choices.

Yeah of course some people would go a bit mad for a while if we had 24hr opening like in countries, but it would balance out in time.

I wish this government would grow up.

Is there actually any way to get the government to abolish this nonsense? Seriously :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

And in most of them people know how to drink properly, whereas Irish people (or at least those you see spilling onto Camden Street in the early hours of Sunday mornings) don't.

The main problem is that the powers-that-be have got the cause and effect backwards, not copping that alcohol restrictions encourage binge drinking more than they control it.

This, added to the powerful vintners' cartel, leaves us with loud crowded superpubs selling rubbish drink at inflated prices to people who just want to swill as much as possible before they all get kicked out simultaneously.

The new act makes scapegoats of the off-trade. More alcohol legislation is due in the autumn. I'm guessing this one will blame either the bears or the immigants.

Would agree with all of that. However, I'd suggest that maybe the reason that Irish people don't know how to drink properly, is not helped by how we're treated in relation to it i.e. more regulation, instead of more responsibility.

I'm struggling to understand the Government's thinking if "help[ing] public order" is the (or a major) reason for this legislation, as Elem said. As others on this thread have stated, I can see this leading to further chaos. Everyone kicked out at the one time, everyone going for food at the same time, everyone looking for taxis/buses at the same time. The bigger the (drunken) crowd, the more potential for violence. The same number of Garda will be on the streets at this time I'd imagine, as it would be impractical to make them come in just for an hour or 2 per night.

On top of this, people will continue to drink the same amounts, and those who usually have another hour to drink their fill, will simply order 3, 4 or 5 pints at last orders and lash them back, leaving them more drunk and thus more likely to act foolishly. The drink then only really starts to take its toll on them properly when they hit the air and are kicked out after drinking up time. The potential for violence and the strain on services is only increased by this move to curtail opening hours IMO. At least when a limited number of niteclubs opened until 3:30, the crowds from the late bars/2:30-close pubs had cleared and the next crowd could be better managed by taxis/chippers/Gardi etc.

I also feel sorry for those who work in pubs (or jobs with similar hours). I used to work in one myself and with last orders at half 11, we were all done and ready to get out by half 12/1 o'clock. Now, by the time you get into town, queue for a club, and fight your way to the bar for a pint, it's hardly worth your while with no half 3 clubs.

We're being treated like children, possibly because we (as a nation) act like we do in relation alcohol. However if the semi-taboo status was removed, maybe it wouldn't be seen as such a big deal and people would cop on?? The tightening and tweaking of laws hasn't worked, they would have been better off trying further relaxing the regulations at least for a trial period IMO, although I do believe it would take a while for people to get used to it and pace themselves properly.

Last orders at 2:30 is going to be busier than ever........

As for closing offies earlier, that's just madness. I can't understand it at all. Why?? People are buying the booze, going home and enjoying their purchases. They aren't going to be out on the streets causing trouble or the like (presumably). Ok you can argue buy your drink earlier, but 10:00 pm is hardly that late! Coming out of one of the last showings in the cinema and you and the partner fancy a bottle of wine or few drinks, no longer can you stop off in the offy on the way home. Just a bit of a pain in the arse really and I'm not sure why exactly they've decided to restrict off-licence opening hours? Unless of course it's to force more people into over-priced pubs. Well, all it's going to force me to do it buy my drink earlier. It could however just as easily lead to some people buying a heap more early in the night "just in case" and end up drinking more heavily as a result.

as I said on another thread, the only reason I can think of for closing off licences early, is to benifit the publican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Red-Room

Hey there, just reading this thread and I would like to put my tuppence into the cup here.:)

I am a DJ and I work in one of Dublin's late venues covered under a "Theater Licence", the Gaiety. We are arguably the best known late night venue in Dublin and have legally served till the wee hours. Saturday Morning last weekend, I finished working a minute after 3AM, as did my other DJ and two bands in the club. I tidied up my bits and bobs and headed back to my car and left the bar, happy for my nights work to be over. This weekend gone (Bank Holiday) was a different thing altogether.

The club opened on Friday night some 30 minutes early and was empty then as nobody knew we were opened earlier, this will probably be the case for some weeks. Our theater licence (It still exists, by the way) stipulates that the bar serves for 30 minutes after the show/performance. My order was to finish at 2AM as this is the requirement of the Act; the bar continued to serve till 2:30AM. Two regular girls wondered why I stopped so early; I told them it was the new laws and we discussed how they were going to affect the trade in the long term. Lounge staff almost fought over who picked up the few empties that were there to be cleaned up, doormen twiddled thumbs as the usual deluge to head on was replaced by an unblissful silence. We could probably have closed early it was that quiet but in fairness everywhere was quiet; Saturday was no different.:(

The difference of one hour will do a lot of damage to the club as there is less incentive to pay into a club that runs for less than 3 hours in terms of music and dancing. Some venues will go to the wall, there is no doubts about it. Some venues like the Viper room or Pal Joeys genuinely stay open late to offer a late drink in a modicum of comfort and put on a credible show in the form of a live singer/band; these two are stuffed with black shirts of the city's various bars early in the week and are by and large well frequented and well run and enjoyable. These two bars will shut at 1AM on a Sunday, if they can justify opening Sunday's anymore. Venues like Sin, Copperface Jacks and the George (I understand it recently got a Theater Licence though I could be wrong here) have taken the piss out of the Theatre Licence to make a fast buck and have to accept some of the blame for the cull in hours. Compare the Gaiety (12-15 door staff and as many bar staff), full CCTV, space, quiet areas, safety curtains, 2 bands, 2 DJ's and a cinema show and an electrician on site with other late night venues and while we are a different business in so many ways, in terms of drinking and entertainment we are now lashed into the same category as every pub in the city; we are just another pub. While we availed of the performance aspect of the licence held to make extra money, it was still done within the terms; no taking the mickey of the law as some places have done.

Most of all though, the inability of punters and publicans to act rationally and sensibly during the green paper stage of the Act has led to the current situation being as harsh as it sounds. It is as simple as this; many Irish people can't seem to drink without doing trebles or shot rallies or mega cocktails and for the most part, it happens in late bars in towns and city centres. I work at weddings and birthdays as well out of town in the "locals" and they are far more civil than some of what you see in town even with an exemption applied for; undoubtedly that is because of the drinking environment of the event. Publicans also have to accept that they need to do more to encourage safer drinking, a lesson they have not learnt since they cried wolf with Mícheal Martin with the Smoking Ban a few short years ago.

I await comments and replies/contradictions eagerly and hope I have made sense in what I have said.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

Dont vote for Fianna fail next time.

if you dont vote at all,

do vote next time

but not for fianna fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

www.giveusthenight.com

a campaign to combat the draconian licensing hours in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

lmtduffy wrote: »
    Dont vote for Fianna fail next time.

if you dont vote at all,

do vote next time

but not for fianna fail.

+ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Does this new legislation affect wine licenses also? I had read somewhere that wine-only licenses were exempt (not sure of the logic there) but when trying to buy a bottle of wine in a supermarket - that only sells wine, no other alcohol - I was told that it could not be sold until after 10.30am ....

muckety wrote: »
    Does this new legislation affect wine licenses also?
    Yes, it affects the entire off-trade. If the tramps were just banned from buying their usual first thing in the morning they'd just move on to drinking what they were allowed have.

'Course making them wait to half ten means they'll probably forget all about alcohol and being tramps, and go get jobs.

'Course making them wait to half ten means they'll probably forget all about alcohol and being tramps, and go get jobs.

Nope, they just stand outside glaring in at you and keep pointing at their watches(if they have them).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The closing time for off licenses is a joke. You cant buy a few cans after 10pm but sure what harm you can goto the pub. Seriously, who comes up with this nonsense?

Publicans. I'd have thought that was obvious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The closing time for off licenses is a joke. You cant buy a few cans after 10pm but sure what harm you can goto the pub. Seriously, who comes up with this nonsense?

Well know you know who not to vote for, come the local election

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

eh hem, cough,

THEY CAN **** RIGHT OFF

I've taken to buying upwards of 15 beers and drinking them in a 5 hour period thus increasing my chance of liver failure and alcohol poisoning because I find my self in the off license too early at the weekend and keep thinking I won't have enough.

I very very rarely have a single drink during the week, and I work long hours so sometimes the offlicense is closed and if my mates are already drinking and I'm home late i'm completely ****ed now - *****

Advertisement