Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBOX newbie

• 05-06-2008 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

ok so finally I got XBOX from extravision...

1- How can I play an avi movie: I used Tversity to create what is supposed to be XBOX movie file I copied it inot External USB drive, but the XBOX could not detect this drive??

2- I have 2 wireless controller: the first one worked perfect, when I try the 2nd one the XBOX key keep flashing and thats all so I can not use it yet...Any advice?

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

For the first question, I think that functionality was added in the recent update. I haven't used Live in a while so I may be wrong but someone will be able to clarify it for you.

As for question 2, you just need to repeat the wireless joining process you did with the first controller. Press the small button on the xbox and the button on top of the controller to link them. You only need to do it once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

You need to synch the controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

The ability to play AVI and DIVX files was added in the December (?) update to xbox dashboard so you will need to connect your console to the internet and allow it to update and while you are still connected to the net try to play a divx movie from a usb key and this will force the xbox to download the additional codecs

and what the others said about the controller
    more info here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/console/wirelesscontroller.htm (google is your friend ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

For playing AVI files you dont need TVersity or anything else but you do need a live connection and a FAT partition USB drive , or an IPod will work. When you plug in the drive and go to play the avi then it will connect to the web and get the codec it takes a couple of seconds. I dont know why you need to do this every time but I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

thanks ... I will test the controller today

I did not use live connection yet. I will try this also

still the XBOX can not see the External USB HardDisk .... I can connect this HardDisk to the computer no problems but the XBOX can not see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

bennyc wrote: »
    When you plug in the drive and go to play the avi then it will connect to the web and get the codec it takes a couple of seconds. I dont know why you need to do this every time but I do.

AVI playback wasn't added until long after the 360 was released so need to go online to download the latest media updates. But you only have to do this once (you don't have to be connected every time you want to play a file).

I had this problem – had to sign in to live to every time – it is gotten round be creating a new silver account and re-downloading the media update. It was caused when I returned my xbox and kept the HD. Each HD is linked to one machine, so this link has to be re-established when you get a new one.

mmalaka wrote: »
    still the XBOX can not see the External USB HardDisk .... I can connect this HardDisk to the computer no problems but the XBOX can not see it

What type of file format is your external USB harddisk?

Reason being that most external harddisks are format with NTFS file format which is not supported currently by the xbox. If it is NTFS then you will need to re-format with fat32 to get the xbox to recognise it

neacy69 wrote: »
    What type of file format is your external USB harddisk?

Reason being that most external harddisks are format with NTFS file format which is not supported currently by the xbox. If it is NTFS then you will need to re-format with fat32 to get the xbox to recognise it

it is NTFS, I think this would be the problem, I will try this

Thanks

Guys

Is there anyway to get the required update for playing AVI and install it on XBOX without connecting it to the internet? i.e. download the update and copy it into USB memory stick then use it on XBOX?

thanks

AFAIK you have to connect the xbox to the internet to get the download...If you dont have internet then you could take it to a mate's house and use their internet.....

I'm sure someone here will correct me if im wrong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mmalaka wrote: »
    it is NTFS, I think this would be the problem, I will try this

Thanks
    Xbox will only read FAT32 formatted disks, backup the stuffo n the drive and format it to FAT32 filesystem, this can be done in windows ;)

Nick

Advertisement