Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ'ing advice needed please.

• 05-06-2008 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

I have some chicken wings and thighs marinating in the fridge since last night and plan to cook these on the BBQ tonight.

Marinade consists of:

Vodka
    Lemon Juice
    Worcester Sauce
    Soya Sauce
    White Wine Vinegar
    Spoonful of Honey
    Dijon Mustard
    Rosemary
    Paprika

Last time I did this I cooked them from Raw on the BBQ - although they were very tasty on the inside they took a long time to cook and the outside was cremated.

I want avoid this happening agaain so was wondering what to do?

Should I :

1. part cook the chicken in the oven in the marinade for 15-20 mins and then lash it on the BBQ.

2. Brown the chicken in pan of hot oil and then lash it on the BBQ

my mate went for option number 1 the other day but think he left the chicken in the oven for too long and when he put it on the BBQ and served it up it was as tough as old boots.

Any help would be much appreciated.

EireEV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Do 1.

I'd cook it fully in oven then lash on BBQ. It's not going to affect the flavour by precooking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It takes time to cook on the BBQ but can you not: A: adjust the height of the rack? B: Adjust how much charcoal is on one side thereby reducing the heat (It can be an idea to have a piled up side for HOT HOT and a low side for slower coooking. C: If it's gas just turn the heat down :)

Also, use a brush to keep marinating (or is it marinading... can't be bothered checking) thereby keeping the outside moist and turn regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Thanks Guys.

My mate did No 1 the other day and it was tough as old boots when he took it of the bbq so maybe he left it too long on the bbq.

The chicken is marinading as we speak - if I cook it in the oven should I leave the chicken in the marinade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

i always do no1. cover them with tinfoil so they dont lose their moisture, take them out a *little* bit earlier than you would if you were going to eat them straight out of the oven and then finish them on the bbq - nicest possible way to do them!

btw - that marinade sounds feckin gorgeous

Personally I'd probably take them out of their marinade and cook them.
    Remember - you'll have to chuck the marinade, you won't be able to use it for basting!! (unless you make some more).

What kind of pieces did you use? I always use thighs & legs as they are ALWAYS succulent. And the great thing about pre-cooking, you don't need to worry about them on the BBQ. I'd be mortified to serve someone undercooked chicken :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Yeah the marinade is pretty delicious I must admit, you must try it.

I used Wings and Thighs.

Why will I have to chuck the marinade that will be left over?

Plan is to cook the chicken covered in foil in the oven until just done in a little bit of the marinade - then take them out and lash them on the BBQ using remaining marinade to baste them.

Sound good?

Thighs & legs won't dry out - they release a lot of juice while cooking too, so prob best to get most of that out before you put them on the BBQ otherwise you'll be cooking over a roaring flame.

You can't use the marinade as a baste, as you've been using it with RAW chicken!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

olaola wrote: »
    You can't use the marinade as a baste, as you've been using it with RAW chicken!!

I'm assuming the OP is cooking the chicken and ALL the marinade in the oven, then bbqing? If so the marinade itself will be cooked, so would be safe to baste with.

sueme wrote: »
    I'm assuming the OP is cooking the chicken and ALL the marinade in the oven, then bbqing? If so the marinade itself will be cooked, so would be safe to baste with.

I think it's better to take it out of the marinade before cooking. Even cook them on wire trays so most of the fat will drip out. Chicken thighs are a KILLER on the BBQ if you don't get most of the fat out first. They will flame too much and they'll get burnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ClassicDisaster

surely basting them while cooking with the raw marinade would not be a problem! the heat of the BBQ would kill off the bacteria. Salmonela dies when its held at 65C for ten minutes, your BBQ is most likely much hotter than 65C, plus, if you leave your wings to rest they will remain above that temprature for atleast ten minutes if covered in tinfoil.

If i was cooking them i would cook in the oven at a low temprature, 130C coverd in tinfoil for an hour, then take out and crisp on the BBQ, leave to rest. then eat!

• Advertisement

surely basting them while cooking with the raw marinade would not be a problem!

Under no circumstances would it be allowed in any commercial venture. Personally I wouldn't even contemplate serving guests chicken that had been basted with a raw mixture.

http://www.safefoodonline.com/article.asp?article=19

"...and don't use a marinade on cooked foods that has touched raw meat as a basting sauce."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ClassicDisaster

ug, health and safety! it would be a problem if the meat wasnt being cooked after basing but it it was being left on the BBQ it would be fine!

although, i am dareing:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hey there. I know you have been marinating since the morning. What I do is boil the chicken first in a sauce pan for 40-45 mins. When they are done let them cool for a while and apply the marinade. Because the chicken is cooked fully the marinade absorbs right through very quickly. Then put them on the bbq and enjoy. soft and succulunt. mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ClownPuncher

Here's the deal. Marinade your chicken parts overnight in the marinade of your choice. Remove it from the frige about 30 to 60 min before grilling. Use an indirect method of cooking the chicken. If its a charcoal grill your using, build your fire on one side of the grill. Try to maintain the temps at about 350F. A little higher will be ok. DO NOT place the chicken directly over the coals. Place it over the cooler side of the grill. You will have a lot less flare ups, if any. Put the lid on. Cook for about 10-15 min per side. Apply your sauce the last 5-10 min of cooking. This takes some practice but youll get better with time. As for re-using the marinade, I have not and would never. Marinade is cheap, why would you want to get sick to save $3. I would also suggest you check out some other message boards such as the smoking meat fourms@ smoking meat.com. Hope this helps.

Advertisement