Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College Fees

• 05-06-2008 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi , i have a 15 year old son who will be attending college in 4 years.
    He hopes to attend DCU. I have no idea how things work..... what are fees like? I dont even know if there are fees..... felll like a total idiot asking this!!

Please help..... will i have to remortgage???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

All the information you need is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MAINIDENTITY

many thanks,

So this local aurthoity grant , who can get that? what does it cover,
    how much is it for ?

Sorry but I know its years away but i'm starting to panic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MAINIDENTITY

ok i can relax!!!

Thanks for all the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Hi, just to give some more info on the fees.

Every Irish/EU student is entitled to free fees, where the government pays the €5000 or so per year, depending on the course. They don't cover for repeating a year/dropping out and/or changing courses.

This leaves the student with around €850 to pay in fees. IF the person is eligible for a grant, this figure reduces to ~€50.

In order to determine if he/she is eligible for a grant, contact the local county council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

I dropped out of ucd in my second year and will now be attending DCU, will i have to cover my first 2 years in DCU?

If you dropped out before or just after Christmas, you will only have to pay 1.5 years of fees. If you dropped out quite far after Christmas of your second year in college, you will have to pay 2 years fees at the new college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Cheers.. Any loop holes or ways of getting round that 1.5 payment I could exploit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Nope. Well if there is I don't know them!

I doubt there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Nappy wrote: »
    Cheers.. Any loop holes or ways of getting round that 1.5 payment I could exploit?

If you are entering a similar course, for example moving from Comp. Sci in UCD to CA in DCU, you might be able to waive the first year, provided you passed it in DCU.

If it's a completely different course, I think you have to cough up. Best to talk to the registry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement