Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland AFC Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Roy's beginning the clearout i see. 8 gone already and rumoured another 7 more to go... jaysus he accumulated an awful lot of crap in his two years.

are they holding onto Yorke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

are they holding onto Yorke?

I got the impression from some of the things Keane said about him that he would be staying. This could be an interesting topic over the course of the summer, Ronaldinho to be taken under Keanes wing and shown the decent Catholic way of life?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ronaldinho to be taken under Keanes wing and shown the decent Catholic way of life

Tell me you are taking the piss?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Tell me you are taking the piss?

Yes, yes I am.

• Advertisement

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ah ye can support someone anytime anywhere ya want, just as longa as you dont change your spots more times then you change your undies....cas I know someone like that. He mightent change his jocks much, but he still has had more clubs then Tiger Woods.

Sunderland top table next season?
    Keane to spend 30m +?
    More Irish to head north, or in Duffs case east a bit?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How much do you reckon Keane will have to spend this summer...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

chdpoker wrote: »
    lol

so how many of ur posts consist of just 3 letters???

Dub13 wrote: »
    How much do you reckon Keane will have to spend this summer...?

I honestly believe its more a question of the players he can attract. If Keane can attract big names he will get big money. However like last season, I think he will continue to attract the big names they are continually linked with.

Some top Irish names, an ex United player, ageing continental legend will be more than likely be his pick imo.

• Advertisement

Just saw this on the BBC...
    Sunderland's Kenwyne Jones is set to miss the first two months of the season because of a knee ligament injury he suffered on international duty.

The 23-year-old was injured during Trinidad and Tobago's 3-0 loss to England on 1 June when he collided with England goalkeeper David James.

"Clearly there's ligament damage, but we are hopeful," said boss Roy Keane.

"We've two or three weeks to play with but it'd certainly rule him out for the first month or two whatever happens."

Jones, who was voted the club's Player of the Year last season, joined Sunderland from Southampton in August 2007 for £6m, scoring eight goals.

Last season was Keane's first full campaign in charge, and he guided the team to 15th place in the Premier League.

As the new season draws closer, he said he was confident the club would continue to progress.

"I'm hopefully a better and wiser manager and I'm confident the team can do better than last year," he said.

"I've learned from my mistakes. We need to keep improving and we've added one or two staff members as we pushed them a lot last year.

"With Kenwyne now being out, Paul McShane's had an operation and (loan signing) Jonny Evans has gone back to Manchester United - we're three players down from a limited squad last year, in terms on numbers.

"It's going to be tough but I'm confident (chairman) Niall Quinn and (chief executive) Peter Walker can try and finalise the deals we're hoping to do over the next 48 hours."

I had thought jones was set to miss a lot more than 2 months. I had read somewhere that me may be a doubt for entire season?

anyway what i find most interesting though is the "next 48 hours" quote. i've seen very little mentioned as regards Sunderland of late so i didn't think they were making any progress. any idea who it is? that Romanian Goia or however you spell it?

mormank wrote: »
    so how many of ur posts consist of just 3 letters???
    bout 214 of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Will be interesting.

I don't reckon he will sign Mooney from Cork as he already has O'Donovan. I reckon Mooney will stay at Cork for another season, although maby not.

I honestly would be suprised if Doyle and Hunt are not Sunderland players.

CHD wrote: »
    bout 214 of them

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Looks like Keano is to make bids for 4 Spurs players! :eek:
    Sunderland have approached Tottenham with offers for four of their players, Sky Sports News understands.

Steed Malbranque, Pascal Chimbonda, Younes Kaboul and Teemu Tainio are the men reportedly wanted by Black Cats boss Roy Keane.

All four of the players figured under Juande Ramos at White Hart Lane, with Malbranque and Chimbonda particularly prominent figures.

However, Ramos has been busy rebuilding his squad since the end of last season and could be ready to let the quartet leave.

The Black Cats, who have been much quieter in the transfer window, have yet to comment on the reports.

However, Keane did reveal earlier on Thursday that he felt this time next week there would be 'plenty of new faces' at the Stadium of Light.

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3831832,00.html

Ive always liked Malbranque, quality player imo, would be an excellant signing.

wow. even one of those would be a decent signing for them. could be an interesting week on the Keano front. Malbranque though would be a great signing i agree.

Yep Malbranque in particular. Don't know why he would sign Kaboul though, he looked worse than McShane last season. Taino would be a good addition, and so would Chimbonda(went backwards last season)

The thing is though, Hunt is definetly leaving Reading, and signing Malbranque would seem to end Hunt and Sunderland...so where for Hunt?

Probably West Ham.

The thing is though, Hunt is definetly leaving Reading, and signing Malbranque would seem to end Hunt and Sunderland...so where for Hunt?

eh... Malbranque isn't a left midfielder. I mean he can play there as Spurs do, but they always did so due to lack of options more than anything else. he's probably better on the centre or on the right, as he's naturally right footed. didn't he play on the right for Fulham?

anyway the point of this post is to say that Both Hunt and Malbranque could easily co-exist in the same team.

So what your saying is Hunt and Malbranque could play together on the same team? Is that what you're saying? I need to be sure.

Anywho...yeah, I think in Tigana's first season in the Prem, he played Malbranque at the top of the diamond which is where he is best. Right wing was where he played mostly though and yeah Sunderland are short in that department, with Stokes, O'Donavon and Edwards(and probably more) being deployed in that role.

I don't rate Edwards. I rate O'Donavon, and Stokes is an Inzaghi like striker who probably won't be near anything until about 24/25.

So what your saying is Hunt and Malbranque could play together on the same team? Is that what you're saying? I need to be sure.

maybe...

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Trilla wrote: »
    Sunderland top table next season?

Are you having a laugh?

Somewhere between 12th and inclusion in the drop zone tbh. Can someone tell me who, on the cover of a post c`ship win book, is quoted on the cover predicting the 07-08 season with woridng something along the lines of "Sunderland to win the EPL this year? I wouldnt bet against it!"

Some pundit or ex player, cant recall who now. Jaysus like.

It pains me when I hear the likes of Doyle and Hunt might be headed to this mid table (at best) abyss. Anthony Stokes seems to be going nowhere fast with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Anyways, here hoping Sunderland get relegated next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Hear Hear

I hope not, for the sake of Anthony Stokes, Paul McShane, Roy O'Donavon, Liam Miller, Andy Reid and Daryll Murphy, and perhaps our future manager.

They won't be relegated anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

For the players there, to be honest I hope them players do well.

But if they go down, all the bandwagon jumpers will be a bit down.

So, win win situation for me:D

Has the novelty not ended by now? They have had two seasons of it...

Don't get me wrong, I have a love hate relationship with Sunderland but if the team consists of irish players I will support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

From the BBC:
    Tottenham defender Younes Kaboul "wouldn't join Sunderland even if there was an earthquake", according to his agent. (AFP news agency, 1342 BST)

An earthquake where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Great to see more Sunderland fans on here tbh.

Ha'way the lads! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3831832,00.html

Ive always liked Malbranque, quality player imo, would be an excellant signing.

I can't see the point in bothering with absolute rejects from other premiership clubs. Especially Kaboul. He's poor.

Doyle and Hunt for about £10-13million would be an injection of real quality.

• Advertisement

I hope not, for the sake of Anthony Stokes, Paul McShane, Roy O'Donavon, Liam Miller, Andy Reid and Daryll Murphy, and perhaps our future manager.

Other than Reid, none of those have persuaded me that they're premiership players. Murphy had a decent season though.
    O'Donovan and Stokes should prove quality.
    McShane and Miller are mediocre, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Ekels wrote: »
    I can't see the point in bothering with absolute rejects from other premiership clubs. Especially Kaboul. He's poor.

Doyle and Hunt for about £10-13million would be an injection of real quality.
    Malbranque: 35 starts last season, Chimbonda: 31 starts last season, Tainio: 6 starts, Kaboul: 19 starts last season, absolute rejects? I dont think so. Bar Kaboul these are 3 proven Premiership players with quality, which is what Sunderland need imo. Especially in defence where they were woeful last season and now with the loss of Jonny Evans they need premiership quality defenders.

Indeed (although tbh apart from Reid none of the above have done much to justify being on a first choice Ireland team, though we are stuck for options for McShanes position). Though it is a bit early to tout Roy as a future manager, in fairness he bought some right turkeys. Sunderland spent an appalling amount of money to end up battling to avoid the drop. I know ther is learning curves and whathaveyou but it seems like he went throwing money at anything.

Hoping a team full of Irish players get relegated as some type of revenge for Drumavalle not investing in an EL club is pathetic tbh. Instead of blaming Niall Quinn for Ireland being full of Sunderland jerseys and backers maybe you should blame your own clubs complete lack of self promotion via the media.

looks like Keane is on the verge of getting at least one of the 4 Spuds.

from the Observer
    The Tottenham full-back Pascal Chimbonda has said he is excited at the chance to join Sunderland. The 29-year-old France international travelled to Wearside yesterday for talks with manager Roy Keane.

Chimbonda said: 'I can confirm that I travelled to meet Roy Keane today at Sunderland's training ground. I was extremely impressed with what he had to say. His honesty and openness really were fantastic and I particularly like the plans he has for Sunderland Football Club. The opportunity excites me and I hope he was impressed with what I had to say.

'Now it is down to the club to sort out the personal terms and I will wait to see what happens,' he added.

Chimbonda is one of four Spurs players currently being targeted by Sunderland after they agreed fees with the north London club. It is understood Steed Malbranque, Younes Kaboul and Teemu Tainio are due in the north-east this weekend for their own talks.

Sunderland reached agreement with Spurs on Thursday evening, although their chances of signing all four appear to rest on Keane's powers of persuasion. Kaboul's agent Rudy Raba has already indicated there is little chance of the Morocco-born defender joining Sunderland, with Portsmouth among a number of clubs interested in him, while Chimbonda is also a target for Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Would be a pretty good signing for Sunderland anyways, Malbranque would be a terrific signing although I cant see it going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Said on the bbc website today that this bid was £23m for the 4 Spurs players? Seems like madness to me if you break it down

Chimbonda - decent full back, £4m max
    Malbranque - good player, what did he cost from Fulham? I'd say worth £5m now
    Tainio - average player, not worth more than £2-3m
    Kaboul - was seen as a flop after Spurs spent £8m on him - worth around £4m now

I'd say even £10m less, at £13m, would be more right for these 4 lads

• Advertisement

O'Donovan and Stokes scored today in a 3-1 win over Sporting Club of Portugal.

Said on the bbc website today that this bid was £23m for the 4 Spurs players? Seems like madness to me if you break it down

they are probably getting some premium package, with add ons like season tickets etc. you know how it is :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Was the boy Roy sent to the stands or somesuch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Chopra was sent off and Roy was sent to the stands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

Watched the game on Setanta yday and felt that the chopra sending off was a complete joke. The full back made the most of it and the linesman halted play! Stokes played well and created Roy's o' D's well taken goal. I reckon that sunderland will improve significantly this year. Keano is gaining experience in dealing with players and press and as he has already stated, he will learn from his mistakes lasy year.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Anyone heard the Shamrock Rovers / Sunderland friendly radio ad?

"It's Sunderland's last game before the new season, so ALL the new signings will be there".

Eh...who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Des wrote: »
    Eh...who?

The Spurs reserve side, plus the inevitable one or two United knock offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The Spurs reserve side, plus the inevitable one or two United knock offs.

Sunderland back in the Championship then.

Indeed. Kaboul? Fletcher? Chimbonda?

And I dont buy this whole excuse that decent players wont go north of Manchester/Liverpool thing. Kluivert went (briefly). Given has stayed despite the fact he could have played for any team in England or Europe. Gullit managed there. Glasgow attracts/holds onto medium to good players. tbh the only players that any top 10 club would want are Gordon and Reid. Possibly Richardson if he improves this season. Jones is overrated. I think Stokes will fade out, which is sad given the initial buzz (or is that hype)

shane86 wrote: »
    Indeed. Kaboul? Fletcher? Chimbonda?

And I dont buy this whole excuse that decent players wont go north of Manchester/Liverpool thing. Kluivert went (briefly). Given has stayed despite the fact he could have played for any team in England or Europe. Gullit managed there. Glasgow attracts/holds onto medium to good players. tbh the only players that any top 10 club would want are Gordon and Reid. Possibly Richardson if he improves this season. Jones is overrated. I think Stokes will fade out, which is sad given the initial buzz (or is that hype)

agreed. but the big difference between those examples and Sunderland is that the others are all much more established clubs. Celtic offer Champions League football, same for Utd, Liverpool, in recent years Bolton, Blackburn were all pushing for European sports and wasn't Kluivert at newcastle at a time when they were in UEFA? it's very hard to convince people to go to a club like Sunderland when they are far from established in the league. location has very little to do with it imo.

Good point. On reflection from what you said last season was now and never, the one shot to join the big boys or fail. With the budget they had they could have pushed for top 8 tbh but bad buys meant otherwise. Even this summer Im sure they could have grabbed Crouch and Pennant, not phoenomenal players but not bad either. Should be chasing Finnan and all, his selling price is ridicilously low. Bouhalarouz was another within their range that could have paid off, not yet world class and may never be, but could have been got on loan/bought at a decent price seeing as Chelsea were eager to offload, rather than getting over excited by McShanes stormer against the Czechs.

Gordon, Finnan and Bouhalrouz at the back, Reid in midfield, Crouch and Pennant supporting Jones upfront (or maybe even moving Jones back to service either one of them), that is in all fairness not a bad team, only four more for a decent lineup. Kitson, Stephen Kelly, good buys imo (I dont want Hunt and Doyle there with the current team tbh, feel they can do better). They wont make the CL but thatv team would have a damn good chance of getting into the UEFA Cup. And they had the money for the above.

Another bad move was concentrating on the UK and Ireland. Where the fcuk were the scouts trying to pick up bargains in Eastern Europe, lower Liege 1 etc etc. Nearly all the poor signings were British or Irish. I think they have spent enough to stay up, but not anything beyond an 11-16 finish. Certainly not players capable of getting into a European tournament of any value. The only thing that could benefit them now is Man City going arseways post Sven (cant see it) or Spurs suffering an awful collapse from the players they are losing (not impossible, their board is clearly nuts and Id be surprised if Ramos even wants to stay). While Im glad to see Keane at Liverpool their board are off their nut tbh.

I'm agreeing that 23million is over-priced. I'd break it down as follows:

Tainio- £5million
    Malbranque- £7million
    Chimbonda- £4million
    Kaboul- £4million

I'm being fairly generous, at that. Yet, there's a surplus of £3million.

I was impressed with Richardson when I saw him play. Particularly for Sunderland's win over Portsmouth. He was really explosive. Crocked with injury though. Hopefully that won't happen this season.

Kaboul stating that he'll make a decision in the next 48 hours is merely giving a loose deadline to Portsmouth, methinks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement