Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland AFC Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Still. imagine a night out with Roy Keane. I bet that would be a barrel of laughs:rolleyes:

He's probably leave before it started...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

He's an attacker, not a winger. Despite this, much of his time on the pitch last year was spent filling in for the injured Edwards. But for the record, I think he did well over all. 6 goals in 33 games playing, for the most part, out of position, which was one less less goal in as many games as their top scorer, Jones, who I rate very highly. I've seen enough from Chopra to make me think that he could do a very good job for them. Admittedly as a 3rd striker. At 24, I don't think he is at his peak either.

As for Stokes, I've not, as you so colourfully describe, shrouded him in negativity. I simply quoted Keane - who seems to think he could go either way as a player - and I then followed this up by stating that I don't rate him. Why? Well, in the one season I've seen him play, I though he played poorly and I saw little in the way of the promise that initially surrounded him. Yeah, he's 20, and I understand that he can still develop. However, if there isn't an improvement after a year then I could see Keane justifiably shipping him.

Let us reconvene this discussion after May 2009.

Chopra reeks of mediocrity. He scored plenty of goals for Cardiff, yet he couldn't do anything at Newcastle, in spite of the opportunities he received, even being partnered with Big Al for a few games.
    Stokes clearly has bags of ability, and yet, I think he out-performed Chopra for Sunderland last season. He was average, but Chopra was below average.
    Chopra is clearly not Premiership quality, as he has proved on two occasions. And he's 24. On the other hand, Stokes is 20 and has much more ability, potential and promise than Chopra.

And referring to a talented 20 year old's second season as a Premiership footballer as make or break at Sunderland, is being very negative. I couldn't see Keane shipping him out next summer. I could see him being loaned, but due to the talent he has displayed on numerous occasions in the past, selling him would be silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Ekels wrote: »
    Chopra reeks of mediocrity. He scored plenty of goals for Cardiff, yet he couldn't do anything at Newcastle, in spite of the opportunities he received, even being partnered with Big Al for a few games.
    Stokes clearly has bags of ability, and yet, I think he out-performed Chopra for Sunderland last season. He was average, but Chopra was below average.
    Chopra is clearly not Premiership quality, as he has proved on two occasions. And he's 24. On the other hand, Stokes is 20 and has much more ability, potential and promise than Chopra.

And referring to a talented 20 year old's second season as a Premiership footballer as make or break at Sunderland, is being very negative. I couldn't see Keane shipping him out next summer. I could see him being loaned, but due to the talent he has displayed on numerous occasions in the past, selling him would be silly.

Like I said, we'll see after this season how they do.

But by way of parting salvo:

You are very quick to dismiss Chopra citing his early career with Newcastle as evidence of his mediocrity. Given that he would have been in his late teens and early 20's during his time there (similar to Stokes now), it seems somewhat inconsistent of you to criticise him, a young player, but then explain away Stokes' disappointing time Sunderland as being down to his youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Other than Reid, none of those have persuaded me that they're premiership players. Murphy had a decent season though.
    O'Donovan and Stokes should prove quality.
    McShane and Miller are mediocre, I think.

Reid is absolute quality, if only he could pass a pie shop as well as he can pass a ball he would be outstanding. The midfield was lacking quality big time before he arrived in January. Him and Evans are the reason we stayed up.

Murphy was okay last season but is always blowing hot and cold. He obviously has talent but is inconsistant and always bottling everything, heart the size of a pea.

McShane on the other hand has a lion's heart but is an accident waiting to happen, out of his depth. The Sunderland fans have never forgiven him for probably one of the worst ever performances in a SAFC shirt against our local rivals Newcastle.

Stokes could make a breakthrough this season, really impressive pre-season (3 goals 3 assists altogether iirc).

O'Donovan was very average in the limited games he played in and is yet to score a competitive goal, he seems to have bulked up pre-season mind and got his first goal for the club in Portugal.

One other Irish player you should look out for is Conor Hourihane - 17 years old and definitely one for the future. You heard it here first !!
    As for non-Irish players, people who don't watch Sunderland regularly won't know that Chopra was played out of position for a lot of last season. He got 6 goals but IMO if he got a good run up front in 4-4-2 he can score goals, like near the end of last season.

The signings are really exciting and I expect we will finish well clear of the drop. Tainio is a very good player according to Spurs fans (yet very injury prone), Chimbonda fell out with Ramos at Spurs and dropped behind Hutton in the pecking order, but is versatile and can play across the back 4. Malbranque is quality and the Yids were very disappointed to see him go. The relationship between Diouf and Roy should be interesting but Keane the player is nothing like Keane the manager - cool as ice.

I still think we will sign a couple of more players before the deadline preferably a CD (to replace Evans), a left back to bring us to 'the next level' instead of Danny "fans association player of the year" Collins who only got the award because he played in the 15 pt season and looked Conference standard, but have to admit he improved ten fold which is probably why he got it, but still a 'relegation zone' standard of player. Kenwyne Jones got the proper award which was a poll on the clubs website, wheras Collins's award was decided by supporters groups. Taiwo would be an excellent buy (and looked canny on Football Manager;))

Albeit Chopra and Murphy (when he is in the mood) are all right, we need a striker, or maybe two, that can take us to the 'next level' as Keane always says. Bent/Saha would be tremendous signings. Finally, the Jones injury is a massive blow and we may have to dish out more money on a replacement.

If we have this line-up next season it will just show how far we have come as a club in the last 3 years.

...................Gordon

Chimbonda - Nosworthy - Evans - Taiwo

Diouf - Tainio - Reid - Malbraque

........./Richardson
    ..............................Bent

It's funny to see that only Evans and Nosworthy were part of the side that brought Sunderland up to the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

It would be an interesting move if it happens. Never rated him as a top 4 type player but on his day would be excellent player for sunderland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/7572431.stm
    Cisse close to Sunderland switch

Marseille say they have negotiated an "agreement in principle" for former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse to join Sunderland on a season-long loan.
    Black Cats boss Roy Keane has made several summer signings but after his side lost their opening game to Liverpool he said he hoped to add more.
    Cisse, 27, joined Liverpool in 2004 but only scored 15 goals in two injury-plagued seasons.
    In July 2007 he joined Marseille on a permanent move after a loan spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

wow, thats quite a catch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

wow, thats quite a catch!

Is it? Not being smart btw. I haven't really seen him since his Liverpool days, and unless his form has seriouly improved, its far from a good catch IMO. Has he been good with Marseille?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

its only a loan though so cant go too wrong. Wouldent be surprised if they never sign him permanently either and he is just a temporary messure for the season while Jones is out and they cant/continute trying convince a big bstriker to join.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Is it? Not being smart btw. I haven't really seen him since his Liverpool days, and unless his form has seriouly improved, its far from a good catch IMO. Has he been good with Marseille?

16 goals in 36 games. 8 goals in 21 in the loan spell beforehand. That's a good return. 16 goals for Sunderland this season and they'd be in right good shape.

Big coup I say. He's been linked with Man City, Portsmouth and was one of Roma's main targets until they landed Baptista at a very reasonable price. Not saying he'll solve Sunderland's goal problem, but he should compliment Jones well.

• Advertisement

its only a loan though so cant go too wrong. Wouldent be surprised if they never sign him permanently either and he is just a temporary messure for the season while Jones is out and they cant/continute trying convince a big bstriker to join.

His form with Auxerre and potential probably did merit the £14million fee. But he never fulfilled it. Although, I always thought he was fairly hard-done by when Benitez came in. He was showing very good form before that horrendous leg break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Cisse and Diouf might make a good partnership.

Heard they're also linked with Djimi Traore and Igor Biscan...

Cisse and Diouf might make a good partnership.

Vlad Smicer lined up to provide pace and a precision cross on the wing.

JimiTime wrote: »

yes, he been very good. And at 27 you would imagine that his best days lie ahead of him. As a plastic Sunderland fan, these are very exciting days.
    His form with Auxerre and potential probably did merit the £14million fee. But he never fulfilled it. Although, I always thought he was fairly hard-done by when Benitez came in. He was showing very good form before that horrendous leg break.

In fairness to the guy, Houllier seemed to play him on the right wing a fair bit. Much like Benitez does with Kyut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

yes, he been very good. And at 27 you would imagine that his best days lie ahead of him. As a plastic Sunderland fan, these are very exciting days.

And as someone else mentioned, its a loan deal, so nothing to loose really. His pace will be a welcome addition to their forward line anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

First post on this thread - Sunderland fan from Sunderland, living in Dublin here.

Cisse is a terrific signing. I was a bit perturbed by the £9m Benni McCarthy bids, but this one seems a much lower risk and, given the relative ages, potentially higher reward.

There's a fairly reliable story going on another board that there are 3 signings expected to be announced tomorrow, medicals due to be completed tonight. Assuming Cisse is one of them, the smart money seems to be on Anton Ferdinand and NI legend / league football log-end David Healy. Etuhu is going to Fulham as part of the Healy deal, and Prica looks to be going too - Healy is a good replacement for Prica if we bring in Cisse.

Exciting times :D I've been following the club since the late 1980s and I have never seen anything like the transfer activity of the past few months.

Marseille striker Djibril Cisse and Sunderland's David Healy are both on Weirside undergoing medicals at the club. (BBC Radio Newcastle, 1224 BST)

not too sure about David Healy for Sunderland. Adds a bit of depth to the squad maybe though. wouldn't be a starter for me. When K Jones is fit potentially would have Chopra, Healy, Cisse and Jones to choose from. At least there'll be a few options on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

I think Cisse would be a Massive signing for you guys and be a great success.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Marseille striker Djibril Cisse and Sunderland's David Healy are both on Weirside undergoing medicals at the club. (BBC Radio Newcastle, 1224 BST)

not too sure about David Healy for Sunderland. Adds a bit of depth to the squad maybe though. wouldn't be a starter for me. When K Jones is fit potentially would have Chopra, Healy, Cisse and Jones to choose from. At least there'll be a few options on the bench.

It's a strange one alright. Odd move for both parties, he won't get anywhere near the first team.

• Advertisement

Jones/Diouf...Cisse/Chopra/Healy

Malbranque...A.Reid...Tainio..Richardson

Sunderland definatley look strong going forward now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Hurts me to say it, but i thought they were very good against us last week too, i think they'll do quite excellent this year.

hope i'm wrong though.

mid-table methinks, fighting it out with the other local sides, above Boro, behind Newcastle would be my prediction.

mid-table methinks, fighting it out with the other local sides, above Boro, behind Newcastle would be my prediction.

Midtable is probably right but might get above Newcastle. I'd predict a cup run only not sure if Keane has won a cup game yet no matter the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The skys the limit, I only watched Sunderland a few times last year, and they were only missing a bit of quality down the middle, and a spark up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

was i the only one that thought Diouf was rubbish last week all the papers had him down as MOTM but i thought he fluffed his chances and gave the ball away the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jones/Diouf...Cisse/Chopra/Healy

Malbranque...A.Reid...Tainio..Richardson

Sunderland definatley look strong going forward now

Meh, Healys flopped in the Premiership. So did Cisse.

Keane better be able to get something out of them because on paper it's nothing more than two mediocre signings.

Cisse didnt really flop tbh-just wasnt in Rafas plans, still scored 18 goals in his last season in england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Cisse didnt really flop tbh-just wasnt in Rafas plans, still scored 18 goals in his last season in england.

Pff, you can prove anything with FACTS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Cisse and Jones will be one of the top 5 front twos in the league, in my opinion, once Keane gets them fit and playing together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Mr Alan wrote: »

didn't the majority of those come from when he was played out of position on the RW where he was majorly useless?

i've alwasy felt Cisse is the type of striker best suited to the Prem. but only if the team is built around him, getting those balls over the top he can run onto etc. Liverpool didn't do that, but he still gave a decent return. if Keane can build the team around him like they did at Auxerre i think he could be a surprised contender for top scorer in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anything but mid table is a bad season for them, that said I can't see them finishing above Boro or Newcastle.

exactly-so think wat he could do with his pace playing up front for a team that will have a lot of opportunities to exploit teams on the break.

good business from roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Odds of him playing on Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i think cisse will be a very good signing ,plenty of pace and a partnership with jones when he returns will cause most teams problems.as for healy think its a case of roy filling out the squad and i could see a few players being sold in the next few days.if they can get 2 defenders i think they will easily make the top 10.BTW have they spent much money ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In fairness to the guy, Houllier seemed to play him on the right wing a fair bit. Much like Benitez does with Kyut.

Cisse has never been in a Houllier team. Ged was gone when Cisse arrived.

Great work this window out of Roy imo, a few CB's and they'll be sorted.

He really has to dump some strikers though, its a bit ridiculous!
    Jones, Cisse, Diouf, Stokes, Healy, Chopra, Murphy, Connolly, Prica.

Starting wise when they have their full team, i think i'd go with;

Diouf---Reid---Tainio---Malbranque

Cisse---Jones

Pretty sweet, a lot of proven players there, maybe a bit too attacking given their weak defence, but theres some great ball players, could be some nice football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

id say connolly and prica will be sold and maybe send stokes on loan.suppose diouf will play on the wing usually so healy,chopra and murphy will be fighting over the subs roles.2 defenders badly needed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cissé only really caught on fire with OM when the manager gave up on the idea of alternating him and Niang every half/match and threw the two of them on together. They were a lethal combo at the tail end of last year, but Cissé was always going to move back to England for family reasons. If he can hit it off as well with Jones, they should be a serious force. No idea what Healy is joining for OTOH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Starting wise when they have their full team, i think i'd go with;

Diouf---Reid---Tainio---Malbranque

Cisse---Jones

Pretty sweet, a lot of proven players there, maybe a bit too attacking given their weak defence, but theres some great ball players, could be some nice football
    I don't think it's too attacking at all. Tainio's obviously a combative player and the other 3 would do their fair shift off the ball too.

Have they still not signed a centre half?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Cisse has never been in a Houllier team. Ged was gone when Cisse arrived.

Apologies!

pesireland wrote: »
    was i the only one that thought Diouf was rubbish last week all the papers had him down as MOTM but i thought he fluffed his chances and gave the ball away the whole time.

I thought he looked threatening but ultimately wasn't that productive. I think he's have a good season though, he was excellent for Bolton if not exactly headline grabbing (spitting insidents aside...). Malbranque was our MotM by some way imo.

I'm really excited about Cisse. At worst he'll provide great cover for Jones, at best we've got a genuinely top class striker who should be approaching the peak of his career. If we manage to bring in Anton Ferdinand and Leighton Baines (both strongly linked), then we'll have a very capable team backed up by a fairly large squad. I'd be delighted with a 12th-14th place finish and a few 'Hollywood results' - it's about time we gave the mags a good hiding!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

sunderlandisnotirishwk8.jpg
    Sunderland football fans proudly support their local sporting hero, Tony Jeffreys, against Irish opposition in yesterday's Olympic Light Heavyweight semi-final. Sadly for Sunderland folk, the Irishman went on to win 10-3.

stubborn idiots. :rolleyes:

We know they're not Irish. Japanese fans know Celtic aren't Japanese. English fans knew Real Madrid weren't English. Spanish fans know Liverpool aren't Spanish. Dutch fans know Barca aren't Dutch.

eirebhoy wrote: »

stubborn idiots. :rolleyes:

We know they're not Irish. Japanese fans know Celtic aren't Japanese. English fans knew Real Madrid weren't English. Spanish fans know Liverpool aren't Spanish. Dutch fans know Barca aren't Dutch.
    Aw... Not even a little bit Irish? :P
    That's not how they're being promoted here...

SectionF wrote: »
    Aw... Not even a little bit Irish? :P
    That's not how they're being promoted here...
    Any examples?

Many. For starters, the club has its very own column every Saturday in The Irish Times.

Correction: had its own column, last season. For the whole season. They've dropped it now... maybe things didn't go as well as planned, or maybe Micheal Walker just begged to be let write about something else.

thats just capitalising on the interest garnerd from all the Irish players/manager/management at the club... the club is never promoted or represented as being Irish, maybe as having a lot of current Irish ties but thats it.

thats just capitalising on the interest garnerd from all the Irish players/manager/management at the club... the club is never promoted or represented as being Irish, maybe as having a lot of current Irish ties but thats it.
    You think that just, like, happened?

SectionF wrote: »
    You think that just, like, happened?

Well, it did. The Sunderland interest over here is down to the fact that we have Quinn as chairman, (mainly) Irish backers and Roy Keane as manager. The club certainly doesn't promote itself as being Irish, the fans from Sunderland wouldn't stand for it. The club have set about promoting the club within Ireland, but that's an entirely as promoting themselves as Irish.

Surely their Irish connections have been relentlessly promoted by Quinn etc. Is it just an accident that there is a sudden heightened profile on these shores? Or perhaps it has to do with the intensive targetting of the Irish market, as in the ferrying of planeloads of hacks on junkets to Sunderland.

I'm obviously not saying that Sunderland FC have stood up and said 'Eh up, we're Irish now'. But has there not been an insinuation in the massive hype in Ireland that somehow they are more appropriate for Irish people to follow than, say, Birmingham or Villa, i.e. that they are more Irish than such clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cisse already doing the business. He could be your (not so) secret weapon this season.

Mike.

Advertisement