Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Q for anyone connecting to LIVE using NTL...

• 05-06-2008 11:56am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My PC died this week and until I get a replacement I'm having Xbox LIVE withdrawals...

I used to connect to LIVE using an ethernet cable from my PC to Xbox, with my internet connection coming from an NTL (USB) modem into my PC.

Is it possible to bypass the PC and just connect the NTL cable modem to the Xbox? Initial tests have suggested no... (btw I also tried a converter that turns a USB internet connection to an ethernet one).

If I had a router - would that negate the need for a PC at all?

CHEERS!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Yes, if you connect your NTL modem to a router you can then connect your xbox to the router with the ethernet cable. I've got mine set up this way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Dades wrote: »
    My PC died this week and until I get a replacement I'm having Xbox LIVE withdrawals...

I used to connect to LIVE using an ethernet cable from my PC to Xbox, with my internet connection coming from an NTL (USB) modem into my PC.

Is it possible to bypass the PC and just connect the NTL cable modem to the Xbox? Initial tests have suggested no... (btw I also tried a converter that turns a USB internet connection to an ethernet one).

If I had a router - would that negate the need for a PC at all?

CHEERS!

Try ringing NTL. Point out that all new customers are receiving routers with their packages but you have never received one. Say that it is bad treatment to their existing customers and ask nicely can they send you out one?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mika27 wrote: »
    Yes, if you connect your NTL modem to a router you can then connect your xbox to the router with the ethernet cable. I've got mine set up this way :)
    Nice one - thx!
    Try ringing NTL. Point out that all new customers are receiving routers with their packages but you have never received one. Say that it is bad treatment to their existing customers and ask nicely can they send you out one?
    If I can't dig one out from somewhere in work, I may just do that since I'll be forking out for new PC box!

Looking at this, btw - seems mad cheap. Only use the 'puter for surfing, mail and digital camera stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

First off, only customers who sign up for he Ultra package get a free wireless router, and I can remember Chorus/NTL having that offer over a year ago.
    it's not new.

Secondly, you're talking through your ar$e as companies can change or istitute promotional offers whenever they want.
    That's why it's called a promotion!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Dades wrote: »
    this, btw - seems mad cheap. Only use the 'puter for surfing, mail and digital camera stuff.

That would be a nice little PC running on XP but it comes with Vista so with 1 gig RAM it will be slooooooooooow. I'd recommend getting another gig of RAM if you do buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mika27 wrote: »
    That would be a nice little PC running on XP but it comes with Vista so with 1 gig RAM it will be slooooooooooow. I'd recommend getting another gig of RAM if you do buy it.
    Heheh.

Ironically it was installing the wrong type of RAM in my old PC that fried it.
    At least it will fit in the new one!

Advertisement