Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 day old mobile phone and battery life is crap?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I bought a nice new Vodafone Sony mobile phone last week in a local store and the battery life on it is very poor.

I have had numerous phones over the last 14yrs but this is the worst ever and i also paid more for this than any other.

Have i any rights or comeback with the shop please?

Here is a link to the phone i purchased and it was €10 more expensive than buying it online from Vodafone direct:

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=100117&offerSelected=prepayupgrade&action=view

By the way the charge is so bad it does not even warn me that power is low and all of a sudden it just dies on me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

How long does the battery last once it is fully charged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

By poor, what do you mean? Does it last an hour? 10 hours? How much usage approximately? If it just dies like that, I'd suggest a dud battery. You'll be entitled to a replacement.
    However, if the phone has a battery that lasts, say 3 days, and you're used to 5 days from a battery, then it's probably due to the fact that the phone is small and is a high power consumer.
    With the Sony Ericcson phones, the battery meter should go down bar by bar, and the last bar goes red first, then after a few hours goes a light red, then it should make a sound and a low battery warning should flash up, but by that stage you may not even be able to make a phone call. However, if you're on a call you'll hear the sound in the speaker a few minutes before it'll actually die.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In my experience Sony Ericsson's are crap for giving low battery notification before dieing, they tend to just randomly shut off...great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I charged it fully on Monday afternoon.

Went away for a hotel break and turned it off Mon night, Tues night and Wednesday night, barely used it for a few texts in between.

Then this morning it powered off without any low battery warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Folks,

I bought a nice new Vodafone Sony mobile phone last week in a local store and the battery life on it is very poor.

I have had numerous phones over the last 14yrs but this is the worst ever and i also paid more for this than any other.

Have i any rights or comeback with the shop please?

Here is a link to the phone i purchased and it was €10 more expensive than buying it online from Vodafone direct:

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=100117&offerSelected=prepayupgrade&action=view

By the way the charge is so bad it does not even warn me that power is low and all of a sudden it just dies on me.

there are two things to note here. firstly the price is irrelevant because the online prices are always different to the prices in the stores. this is nearly always the case so that is why it is always worth shopping around.

secondly, the battery usage time given on the website is 'up to' X hours, meaning this is the very most you will get out of the phone if you are to use the longest lasting battery available for the phone. that is not to say that is the battery you got with the phone. sometimes you can purchase batteries seperatly that will last longer than the standard battery that comes with the phone. for example the standard battery that comes with the phone might have 1-2 hour talktime but you might be able to buy a longer lasting batter that could have 3-4 hours of talktime. so the specs given are based on the longest lasting battery available for the phone.

you have managed to get 3-4 days out of the battery which isnt that bad. how long were you expecting to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

4 days and your complaining, thats gas

I'm sure since you've been buying phones for the last 14 years that you'll remember when you had to charge your phone during the day or every night?

Also, it may take a few charge cycles for the battery to get up to speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Tails142 wrote: »
    4 days and your complaining, thats gas

I'm sure since you've been buying phones for the last 14 years that you'll remember when you had to charge your phone during the day or every night?

Also, it may take a few charge cycles for the battery to get up to speed.
    4 days what are you complaining about, You obviously never had a moblie phone in the mid 90ies because back then you would have been lucky to get just one day out of a charge and that would be on standby only. i.e. NECP100, Motorola International 3200 etc. Have you your blue tooth and any other radio transmitting accessories switched off? these all help drain the battery quicker.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

OP, anything over 2 days with a phone with a colour screen is good.

New phones take a while to ramp up to full battery life.

Any use of cameras/internet etc rapidly reduce batt life, too.

What type of phone is it? We need more details to be able to help.

Are you charging it over night? That can damage a battery.

Its a Sony Ericsson K770i.

I had the Sony Ericsson 750i prior to this old one my battery low power indicator would display for at least a full day without just dying on me.

The phone was fully charged Monday and was on stanby barely used for total of 35hours.

I bought a nice little LG in Asda UK recently for £5 with prepay orange credit. Perhaps ill get that chipped for use here, just shows you the rip off money being made making mobile phone handsets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i've got a nokia 5500 sport, if i don't plug it in every night it will die during the second day.......

so i plug it in every night :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I charged it fully on Monday afternoon.

Went away for a hotel break and turned it off Mon night, Tues night and Wednesday night, barely used it for a few texts in between.

Then this morning it powered off without any low battery warning.

the next time that happens, turn it back on and check the battery level. it could be that the phone is crashing and shutting down, rather than running out of battery

btw, 4 days is a fantastic battery life by today's standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

OP, when you say you bought it in a "local store",do you actually mean a Vodafone store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

just shows you the rip off money being made making mobile phone handsets.

You'll find that almost every single mobile you pay for is subsidised, they'd be much more expensive if you were to pay full price for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My N95 battery will barely last 6 hours. I keep it charging all day in work, all night in bed and with a portable charger in the car. But then it does more resemble a laptop than a phone in use.

OP, when you say you bought it in a "local store",do you actually mean a Vodafone store?

Wasn't a Vodafone shop was a shop that actually sells all network providers.

From listening to others on here sounds as if this is now the norm.

By the way i recently bought a cheap LG mobile in the Uk ith Orange prepay credit and th ephone only cost £5, just shows wha tthe margins must be on these modern day crappy mobile phones designed not to last 6 months.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My N95 battery will barely last 6 hours. I keep it charging all day in work, all night in bed and with a portable charger in the car. But then it does more resemble a laptop than a phone in use.

You've most likely killed the batterys health by charging it in all these places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Wasn't a Vodafone shop was a shop that actually sells all network providers.

From listening to others on here sounds as if this is now the norm.

By the way i recently bought a cheap LG mobile in the Uk ith Orange prepay credit and th ephone only cost £5, just shows wha tthe margins must be on these modern day crappy mobile phones designed not to last 6 months.

Yup, their subsidised.. Orange .NL are the same but they rape you big time on call costs.

as someone already said, when you are purchaisng the phones they are subsidised by the networks. so it would cost a lot more than £5 if you were to buy it outside of a Prepay deal or a contract. and i dont think they go out of their way to manufacture handsets that only last 6 months. you get what you pay for in this world so if you spend 5 quid on a phone, you can hardly expect a top of the range phone that is going to last 3 years. for 5 quid you will get a budget model handset that will make calls and probably have a few other features, but its not going to be top of the range. sure if you get 6 months or a year out of a £5 phone that is a good deal.

board om wrote: »
    as someone already said, when you are purchaisng the phones they are subsidised by the networks. so it would cost a lot more than £5 if you were to buy it outside of a Prepay deal or a contract. and i dont think they go out of their way to manufacture handsets that only last 6 months. you get what you pay for in this world so if you spend 5 quid on a phone, you can hardly expect a top of the range phone that is going to last 3 years. for 5 quid you will get a budget model handset that will make calls and probably have a few other features, but its not going to be top of the range. sure if you get 6 months or a year out of a £5 phone that is a good deal.

Point taken but my new phone (Sony Ericsson)with short battery issues cost €179

Point taken but my new phone (Sony Ericsson)with short battery issues cost €179

Dude, the battery life isn't short. Thats about expected for a 3g phone with a colour screen (Sorry I didn't notice the link in the OP until recently. I shouldn't post when I am half asleep :) )

• Advertisement

All right thanks for everyones input at least now i know this is the norm.

By the way its got loads features and i love it otherwise. ;)

All right thanks for everyones input at least now i know this is the norm.

By the way its got loads features and i love it otherwise. ;)

thats good to hear. i heard sony ericisson phones have great cameras. apparrantly they use the same technology that sony use for thier digital cameras so the quality is supposed to be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

any time i buy new phones ( all sony btw) They tell me to charge the battery the first time for at least 8 hours even if it says its full.. Something about it makes your battery run at 100% capacity then for every charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i have two sony ericsson phones and get around 4days and nights from both. if you are in an area with poorer coverage it will use more battery power.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If that's a 3G phone, receiving a 3G signal, then you will notice a detioration in battery life. I have a 3G phone on the Meteor network but am currently working in Brussels for a while. Obviously I don't get a 3G signal in Ireland, but do in Brussels. As a result, I've noticed a distinct deterioration in the battery life of my phone.

dudara wrote: »
    If that's a 3G phone, receiving a 3G signal, then you will notice a detioration in battery life. I have a 3G phone on the Meteor network but am currently working in Brussels for a while. Obviously I don't get a 3G signal in Ireland, but do in Brussels. As a result, I've noticed a distinct deterioration in the battery life of my phone.

It is 3G. I did My homework. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Another satisfied customer :)

Advertisement