Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for a mix

Options
  • 05-06-2008 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

OK here's a question:

How much would expect to pay to get somebody to mix a 10 track album for you?

I have made 2 albums already, and they've been released and reviews have been positive and all that: I mixed 'em myself in both cases, at home.

However, for my 3rd effort, I'll be doing all the recording myself, but would love to just get somebody to mix it for me, with a few guidelines. The reason is, Id love to have another person run their ears over it in an objective way.

How much should I expect to pay to get this done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

It really depends who it is and where it's done.

There are some great local guys around, some who post here, who have done good work.

What sort of material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

kind of strange: Mostly acoustic instruments, nylon guitar/steel string/mandolins, banjo, lots of percussion (but no drum-kit drums) bass guitar, plenty of harmony vocals.

Its the third album of a project, the first two albums of which were recorded in India with tabla players and such. This one Im doing in Dublin.

Looking for a vintageish, not-too shiny vibe, with minimal effect: Lil reverb/compression and EQ, just might be nice to have another person mix it other than meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Usually I'd do one track free to get client approval, then charge around 25 euros an hour (some tracks may take more work, but the average would be 75-100 euros a track) - or 700 for the whole album if material is sounding the 'same' so each tracks treatment is pretty easy... i.e. costs may increase if different mikes and vocalists were used causing the mastering costs to increase due to time spent fiddling) - i work this cheap as i'm totally digital, others have gear/location overheads that would end up 100+ a track.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

kind of strange: Mostly acoustic instruments, nylon guitar/steel string/mandolins, banjo, lots of percussion (but no drum-kit drums) bass guitar, plenty of harmony vocals.

Its the third album of a project, the first two albums of which were recorded in India with tabla players and such. This one Im doing in Dublin.

Looking for a vintageish, not-too shiny vibe, with minimal effect: Lil reverb/compression and EQ, just might be nice to have another person mix it other than meself.

I know that's the kind of area StudioRat specializes in.

(Gavin Glass who you may or may not be familiar with, is one of his clients who uses similar instrumentation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Someone mention my name??

I take a one to two days to mix a track.
    Like my mate the builder says "we may be slow, but we're very very expensive":D
    I got a bit of downtime this month. PM me if you want to discuss...

BTW a mix with reverb is extra;o)

• Advertisement
Advertisement