Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did paper 2 go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

What a beautiful paper.That could not have come up any better.I didnt like the comparitive questions though.They werent very nice.But theme and issue came up and I was screwed otherwise.

Did Othello question on Iago's cleverness.4 pages

Comparitive on Theme focus sharply with key moments 5 pages

Poetry Mahon 5 pages and went very very nice.I managed to include all of his poems.Did 4 in detail and talked about the others

Unseen Poetry Personal Response 1 and a 1/2 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

I feel sick i didn't disagree with the Othello question, could be the difference between a pass and a fail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Yes I was very happy with the paper, found it very fair

I disagreed with the statement in othello and said that it was a combination of othello's foolishness and iago's cleverness. Worked like a charm.

I picked the 2 part question of theme and issue in the comparative section. Got in all that I had prepared so woreked out perfectly even though I had never practised doing the comparative question in two parts

I only studied 3 poets (larkin, donne and boland) and two of them came up so I was very happy.
    I did donne but I never really did any imagery on him when revising him but still came through it no problem and of course referring to wit was no problem

Unseen poem was very nice, wrote 3/4's of a page on each question ( I did the part with two questions)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Timans wrote: »
    Literary Genre was an absolutely disgusting question,

+1, had to do it though, we never covered theme and issue in class. I did the second one about the character creation thing, got about 4 pages out of it. It was really hard to stick to. :/ Also, does anyone know if you'd get more marks for doing more than one character, or would just one from each text be alright?

The Othello was ok, did the weak judgement one, managed about 4 pages on that too. I thought it would be worse, but once I got going it was fine.

Unseen poetry, grand, I did the second one and got about 2 pages. Did Donne too, which was ok, although I kind of ran out of time. :o Hope it was coherent enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 plug-in-baby

paper was grand !! super happy mahon came up :D:D

messed up comparative up a bit tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

HELLO132 wrote: »
    I feel sick i didn't disagree with the Othello question, could be the difference between a pass and a fail :(

How,as long as you back up the points you made.You'll get the marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

Othello was grand :) got 4 pages
    Comparative not too bad got 5.5 pages
    poetry FANTASTIC got 4 pages
    Unseen poetry fine got over a page
    Happy enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

titan18 wrote: »
    How,as long as you back up the points you made.You'll get the marks

Yeah, I agreed with it. I hate Shakespeare and I hate Othello and I hate Iago! So I got to take my rage out on both of them. Iago is no more than a lower class ensign and Othello is a bumbling idiot once he's taken out of his comfort zone! Obviously I worded my answer a wee bit better but I made strong points and backed them up with reference and quotes, good marks coming my way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 steve_bhoy

delighted:D
    studied mahon...he came up:D
    twisted othello question to iago by diagreeing:D
    studied theme and issue...it came up:D

no more english ever:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MikeHunt08

Mahon was the only poet I studied, so you can picture how happy I was to see His name on the paper :D. An easy question aswel! Got just about 4 pages on him!

Unseen was fair handy has well! Spent about 5 minutes on it got 3/4 page should see me in good stead.

Othello was fair handy! Havent opened an Othello book since 5th year and I flew through it! Mainly through the use of the dvd! Got 3 1/2 pages on that (Done (ii) the weakness of human judgement- all about Iago :D)

Comparative was the worst of my 4 questions. However, thats not to say it didnt go well. I was satisfied with it even though I only got 2 pages done on it. I got alot of comparison/contrasts so i was happy!

All in all English Paper 1 and 2 were quite handy and I hope to be looking forward to a C1 or B3 come August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

I thought the paper was sex!!!

I had 2 poets learned (Larkin and Rich) and they both came up :)

I did Larkin and the unseen poem was fine too.

I thought the Literary Genre question was awful!!! My class didn't have anything prepared on the creation of characters!
    Luckily I had a perfect Theme and Issue answer learned off :)

Second Othello question was perfect!!! Really broad and open

First Death and Nightingales Q was easy too (I did Othello though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Really? i did the lit g, second question, talked all about the flashbacks etc that helped create the characters. now youre making me worried... got 6 pages anyway

what did people think of the unseen poem?
    i think there was a sigh of relief over the entire hall when people saw the list of poets, most people in my school were banking on rich. i did donne, lovely question, bout 5 pages. ah yes, that happened to one of the girls in my hall, the examiner seemd somewhat unimpressed at her suggestion that she be allowed to ask someone else the name...

and the 2nd othello question, thought it was nice, very broad.
    Don't be worried at all, I was just saying that it would be harder to twist, if you managed to do it, then fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

Thank god mahon came up.
    Rest was grand, literary genre was pretty easy .
    for othello I had both Iago and Othello studied so
    I was ok.
    And we had unseen poem already done in class.

What a great paper!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I was absolutely delighted with the Othello Question. I simply decided to argue that the tragedy of Othello was a combination of both Othello and Iago. I managed to get about 4 pages written for it and was very happy with my answer.

For the Comparatives, I did the theme of relationships and that was also pretty easy. In fact, my biggest problem was that I ended up writing about 6 pages and had to cut it short as I didn't have a lot of time.

For the Unseen Poem I did Question 1, I'm pretty sure I did fine, but I mean, you never really know with the Unseen Poems.

As for the Prescribed Poetry, I had 45 minutes left and I had to decide whether to do Rich or Larkin. I personally thought that the Larkin Question was more difficult (even though I know his poetry better).
    I decided on Rich, realised I could only remember 5 of her poems and so quickly changed back to Larkin.

I was doing fine until the supervisor called out that there was only 5 minutes left and I had to really rush the last two poems I mentioned.

Overall, I am absolutely delighted with the paper. Never before have I thought that I've done better in Paper 2 than in Paper 1.

Now, bring on Maths. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

What was the unseen poem about..Was there conflict with the father and son but also love??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I didn't disagree either. Its more of a challenge not too but hopefully I'll get the marks for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Erica-smiley

Was mad all I studied was theme for the comparative.... that came up.... I only studied Rich and boland for poets.... rich came up.... then I only studied Iago's cleverness and a little bit bout othello..... I just combined the 2!

Was so happy would have been gone if Rich hadnt come up think a lot of people were depending on her!
    Unseen poem was really easy I thought!
    Overall english was fine!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

plawless wrote: »
    did any else do real bad? only wrote half a page for the comparative, unseen 7 lines and i had only studied boland!!!!!!!:mad: on the flipside scored the bird hu brings us 2 the toilet . :D bring on maths

Your priorities are magnificent! Gave me a laugh though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

did any else do real bad? only wrote half a page for the comparative, unseen 7 lines and i had only studied boland!!!!!!!:mad: on the flipside scored the bird hu brings us 2 the toilet . :D bring on maths

I wrote 6 pages altogether and don't have impending sex with a TY student to cheer me up. :(

Did you take higher or ordinary?

• Advertisement

I know I've got a binman recruitment form around here somewhere....

I was absolutely delighted with the Othello Question. I simply decided to argue that the tragedy of Othello was a combination of both Othello and Iago.

Did you have anopinion though, they like you to weigh up both sides of the argument but in the end side with one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Soby wrote: »
    What was the unseen poem about..Was there conflict with the father and son but also love??

Yeah, that's what I wrote too...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Disgusting paper!

Othello question wasn't too nice, but come to think of it I should have just disagreed and talked about Iago. What was the fúcking story with Literary Genre? Nightmare! Had some serious twisting to do. Poetry was alright, I was surprised Boland wasn't on there, and also surprised that none of the questions were writing a letter to the poet.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭breadmond

i'm pretty happy overall. othello question was lovely. we did the unseen poem in class last year so hopefuly 20/20 for that!

I wrote 6 pages altogether and don't have impending sex with a TY student to cheer me up. :(

Did you take higher or ordinary?

6 pages, yikes, don't worry though, it's pretty easy to pass and there are many more exams ahead of us! Plus we never have to learn about William "the wanker" Shakespeare, ever again!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's f-l-u-e-n-t love...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MikeHunt08

I wrote that the Father and Son had alot of love and acceptance for one another yet the line about the anger forced me to interprit that into a love hate relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

Really nice paper!! except feel sorry for the people counting on Boland to come up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

higher obviously im not that stupid
    im basicaly fluint

Fluent in english you dont say??god i wish i was you:pac:

Advertisement