Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did paper 2 go?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Soby wrote: »
    ??
    didnt the last line with the help of translations mean love is hard or something?? i forget the translations at the side...wasnt allowed bring my paper

I took it to mean that the son could only appreciate the sacrifices his father made for him now that's an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

BJC wrote: »
    I think that's a little bit out there. The mention of work I think was more for the reader to understand the sacrifices he makes for his family, even though he works hard all week he gets up first to warm the house, then shines the poets shoes (for mass). The mention of anger I believe is to show that Love is complicated snd never starightforward, you take the good with the bad.

ah i see..oh well i wasnt really aiming for top marks in that anyway..sure ill get something for my attempts cause i backed it up and theres always more than 1 interpetation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I feel kind of sorry for Plawless.
    He's like one of those guys you see a film about at about 3am on Network 2. You know, the poor boy, often fighting with his mother and father whos only real way of lightening up is to wander the streets late at night drunk.

Poor guy.

plawless wrote: »
    Actually Rather Affluent You Pleb

Ok, so the bolded parts are wrong. Everything else is correct.

BJC wrote: »
    A giant pencil...?

Small pencil...if thats what u call your crown jewels:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I took it to mean that the son could only appreciate the sacrifices his father made for him now that's an adult.

Yep, me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Anyone else do the Larkin question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I was very pleased with the Othello and the Adrienne Rich question I did, but the Comparative was pretty bad.

shortys94 wrote: »
    Anyone else do the Larkin question?

Me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

Was fairly sexy apart from the rather specific Lit. Genre questions.

you Spend Your Life Fretting Over Mere Exams When You Probably Won't Even Pass Your Exams. you Scrotum

You must be right. After all, you did use [size][/size]. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Me :)

What did you write about, I said that even though he deals with unhappiness he usually envelopes it with hope, unhappy with modern day thus has nostalgia for past and other things.

shortys94 wrote: »
    What did you write about, I said that even though he deals with unhappiness he usually envelopes it with hope, unhappy with modern day thus has nostalgia for past and other things.

I basically said that where as Larkin thinks he is popular because he writes about unhappiness, it is not the reason why enjoy his poetry and began naming the reasons why I did like/dislike his poetry.

What Comparative You Do Then Genius?

I'm no genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

You must be right. After all, you did use [size][/size]. :rolleyes:

Don't be ridiculous, that would require the most basic knowledge of HTML, Plawless saw the font size scroll down and went wild :p

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Timans wrote: »
    but for some people who had prepared more technical points (narrative/flashbacks etc) I'd imagine it was a nightmare to have to twist them.

No, I had basically the points from English Key Notes and just adapted them.. I used a combination of flashbacks, narrative, dual character technique, and humour.. Went pretty well. Looked a bitch at first but it just required a bit of thought
    Really? i did the lit g, second question, talked all about the flashbacks etc that helped create the characters. now youre making me worried... got 6 pages anyway

Should be fine :)
    HELLO132 wrote: »
    I feel sick i didn't disagree with the Othello question, could be the difference between a pass and a fail :(

The fact that they phrased the question as such means that it was totally acceptable to agree with it. I said that while Iago had no small role to play in bringing about the downfall, he could not have been successful without Othello's foolishness and fatal flaw of jealousy being present blah blah blah..
    tabouli wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know if you'd get more marks for doing more than one character, or would just one from each text be alright?

It said one character => perfectly ok
    I decided on Rich, realised I could only remember 5 of her poems and so quickly changed back to Larkin.

Are you serious? I only discussed 4 poems of Donne's and it's definitely an adequate response...

Overall, pretty happy with the paper. Took the risk of only studying Donne and Rich, and despite getting really worried yesterday reading all the predictions here, I was delighted to see Donne up :) Only studied LG for the comp. as well .. My teachers predictions are unbelievable... He said Donne Mahon Rich definite, LG definite, question on Othello's downfall or Iago's ingenuity definite, and even for P1 yesterday, guaranteed an essay on young people...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I basically said that where as Larkin thinks he is popular because he writes about unhappiness, it is not the reason why enjoy his poetry and began naming the reasons why I did like/dislike his poetry.
    I did the same myself.

Why Be So Condescending In Your Approach? Just Answer The Question

Eh, no Peg.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I was delighted with the poetry, I did well enough in the literary genre question but I just completely bluffed the Othello question.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

YOUR A NERD GET A LIFE HTML

He's The Major Loser

Funny part is that I don't know any HTML :p

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

I'm really happy with how it went today!:D

As I said before, timing is my downfall but I got everything finished and done bar the unseen which I only got started at the end. So fairly pleased with that.

Did the first Othello question, and agreed and disagreed with it. Said they were both true to certain extents and I think I wrote a pretty good answer for it! 4 pages too which was good!

Comparative, Literary Genre the first one. Wasn't sure how exactly I should have layed it out, but I wrote a good answer on it IMO, had everything necessary in it and linked up well. Kept using "In contrast/comparison" throughout as well. 4 pages roughly too.

Poetry, Personal Response to Rich, What more could ya ask for! All ya have ta say is she's ultra-feministic bitch!:p Just said I some aspects spoke out to me such as Metaphors and Imagery, others didn't such as her attitude towards men and her lack of traditional technique...Sound!

Bring on Pass maths! I need a rest!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

It was, in the words of my English teacher "the most perfect paper we could have hoped for". It threw me a little, I think. I was expecting a lot harder. The question on Theme/Issue was phrased a little oddly, all that talk about 'viewpoints' but I think I managed it okay, I had planned a Personal Response to Rich question as I'd thought it was a definite and so she was grand, and my Othello question was alright, albeit a tiny bit waffley. I have a thing for Iago and so talked about his cleverness for a good while before remembering that Othello was mentioned in the question too, but I tied it all in at the end. I was really hoping for an A1 in English, don't think I quite managed it but tried my best.

My hand is killing me though. I literally was writing for the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

I still can't feel my hand :(

dmccaff wrote: »
    yay paper 2 is over

no more english

/snip burning book

Man, you're going to be sickened if you have to repeat english.

He's The Major Loser

You used each letter as if it stood for something!!!..why thats.....thats genius...Give this man a medal.....

He's The Major Loser

What's "A Nerd" and why would anyone want one?

You just came out of honours english and yet you can't tell the difference between "You're" and "Your". Man, sucks to be you.

Fitzo wrote: »
    I still can't feel my hand :(

all set for a "stranger" then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bitterstudent

It's finished! I am so glad to never have to read again! *I joke :P
    The paper was predictable I think, all those poets were due, but I did want Boland to come up but I had to do with Larkin. Over all the paper was fair.

http://www.leaving-cert.net

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

haha WHAT a paper...

I wanted Mahon and got him.

I dunno IMO it was just the best paper possible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭spillit67

Did the unseen a few weeks ago, was handy knew what I would say immediately. Basically said as other people have that he was looking in the past, it was a reflection of his detached relationship when he was a child. He now understands all the work his father did, regrets it, second last line emphasisis it through repetition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

All 4 poets we did came up. Did Mahon, same question that was on the pre. I knew something like that would come up in Othello. I agreed and disagreed with the statement. :) Ended up turning it around and answering "A combination of Othello's foolishness, Iago's cleverness and luck leads to the tragedy"

Advertisement