Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did paper 2 go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Ended up turning it around and answering "A combination of Othello's foolishness, Iago's cleverness and luck leads to the tragedy"

Ditto cept I didn't use luck, just said Iago was opportunistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

Fitzo wrote: »
    Ditto cept I didn't use luck, just said Iago was opportunistic...

hehe...said there was luck because of the hankerchief AND the opportunistic....:D

despite this i wasnt that hectic on the comparative now that i think back on it!!! :o lol

post-exam panic setting in already!!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Em_2008

poetry: only studied larkin and he came up :D super delighted lol

obviously im not going to be as cheeky when it comes to the rest of my exams i was nearly having palputations this morning opening the booklet :pac:

rest went fine, 20 pages in total so hope its all not waffle :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭louise-x

wow i was soo happy, everything i wanted to come up did, was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭guX

Haha, I wanted to run around the exam hall shouting for joy when I saw that both Mahon and Theme/Issue came up... they were the only things on the whole English course which I did any work for (I did this work this morning :P). Then I realised that I still had to actually do the paper... I got 6 pages done for the Comparative and 6.5 done for Mahon. Didn't get anything else done, but anything I'd have written would have just been waffle anyway. I'd say I'll get a C1/B3 in English in overall, which I'm happy with considering I very nearly failed the mock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Fitzo wrote: »
    I still can't feel my hand :(

ha, don't let anybody from last years leaving hear you say that.

my only worry about that exam was that it was a bit too 'easy' for my liking. not that i did really well, but all the predicable stuff came up so maybe the department are gonna get a load of A-standard learnt off institute essays from C students. And the ones who knew the texts and spoke from the heart get squat. SQUAT!

oh and there was no question on John Proctor for The Crucible, weird. I did the Elizabeth and Abigail one. it was pretty good. just described both of them. fear, power, motive for crying witch, then talked about Liz's Loyalty to John and how she sticks by him etc... and then just said they are two completely different characters in conflict with each other and they are essentially polar opposites. oh and i also said, they are by far the best most interesting female characters in the play and whats interesting about them is their conflict. another point i should have mentioned is that they never actually talk to each other in the play. damn. What did all you other Crucible people write about?!!?

ye what did that viewpoint thing in Theme and Issue mean?? i had no idea so i just kept saying things like "this show the things that one would do for love and for their father" and "the viewpoint seen here is the major effect that father-son relationships can have on a person's life..."

is that the right use of the word??? I have no idea what they meant by viewpoint so i just kept saying things like that in hope that one of them was right... whats viewpoint mean plz?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

plawless wrote: »
    enough of the bull.
    this is how today went: veni vidi vici
    English was so easy but not as easy as it was to keep you from studying for tomorrow, well perhaps your not in honours maths but I am sure you do geography

English: Mahon 8 pages, Comparative 9, unseen 2 and a half pages, Othello 7 pages

Bring on Latin

26.5 pages eh? Were you writing on post-its?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Peleus wrote: »

my only worry about that exam was that it was a bit too 'easy' for my liking. not that i did really well, but all the predicable stuff came up so maybe the department are gonna get a load of A-standard learnt off institute essays from C students. And the ones who knew the texts and spoke from the heart get squat. SQUAT!

oh and there was no question on John Proctor for The Crucible, weird. I did the Elizabeth and Abigail one. it was pretty good. just described both of them. fear, power, motive for crying witch, then talked about Liz's Loyalty to John and how she sticks by him etc... and then just said they are two completely different characters in conflict with each other and they are essentially polar opposites. oh and i also said, they are by far the best most interesting female characters in the play and whats interesting about them is their conflict. another point i should have mentioned is that they never actually talk to each other in the play. damn. What did all you other Crucible people write about?!!?

ye what did that viewpoint thing in Theme and Issue mean?? i had no idea so i just kept saying things like "this show the things that one would do for love and for their father" and "the viewpoint seen here is the major effect that father-son relationships can have on a person's life..."

is that the right use of the word??? I have no idea what they meant by viewpoint so i just kept saying things like that in hope that one of them was right... whats viewpoint mean plz?!?!

I have no idea what viewpoint meant.But our teacher told us to never do a two part question as they get marked harder

• Registered Users Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Pah whippersnappers these days, when I did it we had both English exams in one day, bah humbug *walking stick*

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

plawless wrote: »

English: Mahon 8 pages, Comparative 9, unseen 2 and a half pages, Othello 7 pages

Bring on Latin :pac:

writing 8 pages isnt exactly a good thing. if I was an examiner and some student made me read an 8 page answer, i wouldn't be too happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dr-Millie

Was sooooo happy Donne came up. Thou i didnt write like 25 pages for paper 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 H-esperanza

Othello-Very happy we did a question on human weaknesses 2 weeks ago in class.
    Comparitive-Little shocked in the exam at the theme or issue question. Did the view point one because i was told at a revision course i did not to do the key moments one if you hadn't practiced it. But got about 9 pages between the two so it was fine.
    Poetry- Very happy with the question on Mahon, suprized that all the questions were pretty similar!
    Unseen- Was fine got a good bit written in the personal response.

Overall i filled the booklet :) which made me very happy! (i do however have enormous writting which doubles in size when i am writting quickly)

My hand is so sore...(I had home ec yesterday too so it was still tough)

Bring on maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

I'm just up now,
    went to bed after the paper,
    was up studying for ages last night and this morning!

FOUND IT REALLY GOOD :D

I done (in order):
    *Rich
    *Theme/issue- key scenes
    *Othello
    *unseen poetry (20mark ques)

^Rich- i wrote 7 pages, which was a mistake to start with too
    OW MY HAND HURTS!

^Othello- (coulda done better) I twisted it to Iago, my language wasn't the best.
    But i got to the point and stuffed it with quotes!
    :):):):):):)

Yeh I got a good few quotes in which i was happy with in Othello, did the charecter one. Used sentences from the "principle agent of his own downfall" essays i got from some english book. Over well it went well but at the start it was a bit dodgey. Did bout 4 pages for each, hav small-ish writting so was happy enough. But only did bout 1.5 of a page for unseen poetry. But for 20 marks, theyre not expecting an essay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

Peleus wrote: »

I did the other question (the 70-marker) but viewpoints I would take to mean seeing the theme or issue from a variety of different aspects and angles - i.e., points of view. Basically from a range of different perspectives.

Dr-Millie wrote: »
    Yeh I got a good few quotes in which i was happy with in Othello, did the charecter one. Used sentences from the "principle agent of his own downfall" essays i got from some english book. Over well it went well but at the start it was a bit dodgey. Did bout 4 pages for each, hav small-ish writting so was happy enough. But only did bout 1.5 of a page for unseen poetry. But for 20 marks, theyre not expecting an essay!!

i only done almost a page for the unseen poetry
    answered the personal responce ques,
    had:

*short intro with 4 reasons i liked it
    *2/3 lines developing each point

sorta done it as a 20mark paper1 ques!
    is that kinda ok?:o

laura* wrote: »
    i only done almost a page for the unseen poetry
    answered the personal responce ques,
    had:

*short intro with 4 reasons i liked it
    *2/3 lines developing each point

sorta done it as a 20mark paper1 ques!
    is that kinda ok?:o

Yeh i mean, i presume so! I did the two parted question, each bout 3/4s of a page. Sure had mine done in bout 20mins, pretty happy with that!
    Some of my friends did the reponse q and just short of one page! So koola boola

Dr-Millie wrote: »
    Yeh i mean, i presume so! I did the two parted question, each bout 3/4s of a page. Sure had mine done in bout 20mins, pretty happy with that!
    Some of my friends did the reponse q and just short of one page! So koola boola

sweet cheers!
    only had 2 mins to spare anyway so
    there's nothing more i could have done!

roll on the summer
    :cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Hi, didn't go great to be honest!

Othello: 3.5 (4 with plan) pages of rambling rubbish. Well, it wasnt that bad but i dont thing I did very well in it...ugh. i sorta got lost!

Comparative(almost 5 pages): Key moments? Went well-ish!

I went with headings: Relationships, Conflict, Seeking Change and "Looking to the past". I kinda mentionted how each thing(Conflict, Seeking change)caused key moments.

e.g: Philadelphia, Here I Come:
    Conflict was created by Katie Doogans fater in a key scene, and "Looking to the past" in the scene where aunt Lizzie is reminiscing about his mother. Then I said how each of these embodied the theme of self discovery.

Is that acceptable?!

Unseen: About a page and a half. Went alright, ususl stuff!

Prescribed: I went over time on other stuff and I was left with about 10 mins for the Adrienne Rich Quesion! Got hardly any done. I should have done a plan so the examiner could see what I was going to write but instead I went ahead - probably a mistake!

Hi, didn't go great to be honest!

Comparative(almost 5 pages): Key moments? Went well-ish!

I went with headings: Relationships, Conflict, Seeking Change and "Looking to the past". I kinda mentionted how each thing(Conflict, Seeking change)caused key moments.

e.g: Philadelphia, Here I Come:
    Conflict was created by Katie Doogans fater in a key scene, and "Looking to the past" in the scene where aunt Lizzie is reminiscing about his mother. Then I said how each of these embodied the theme of self discovery.

Is that acceptable?!

Hi,
    wtf?
    I didn't do that?!

I just said the theme was poor father son relationship
    and the key moments evidently show this in all 3 texts

then took each individaully under pharagraphs with:
    Problem - key moment
    How it's confronted- Key moment
    The Outcome- Key moment -eg PHIC Gar leaves so relationship is
    not improved with SB

AND compared each pharagraph with another text briefly!

is that all wrong? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nah I doubt it. I started out with my point, e.g Lover through gesture between father and son was common to all three texts. In Phily, SB goes over to Gar's jacket and touches it. Then he looks to Gar's door knowing it will be the last time that he will see him again. Likewise in Babylon, Alec's father gives him a watch which had been given to him by his father. Frederick says "Sentimentality doesn't suit either of us". This can also be said for MLF. Paddy shows his love first by building the chariot for Christy. Later in the text, he builds Christy's room. His mother remarks, "That's the closest he'll ever come to saying that he loves you". (obvioulsy they were more expanded than that). I'm just kinds hoping the examiner will get the hint that the examples were the key moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Only studied Mahon, Literary Genre, Iago's jealousy and Othello as the principal agent of his own downfall, so I just combined those two and got the Foolishness/cleverness essay out of it!

Pure luck but I'm loving it!

mars bar wrote: »
    Nah I doubt it. I started out with my point, e.g Lover through gesture between father and son was common to all three texts. In Phily, SB goes over to Gar's jacket and touches it. Then he looks to Gar's door knowing it will be the last time that he will see him again. Likewise in Babylon, Alec's father gives him a watch which had been given to him by his father. Frederick says "Sentimentality doesn't suit either of us". This can also be said for MLF. Paddy shows his love first by building the chariot for Christy. Later in the text, he builds Christy's room. His mother remarks, "That's the closest he'll ever come to saying that he loves you". (obvioulsy they were more expanded than that). I'm just kinds hoping the examiner will get the hint that the examples were the key moments.

cool

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Pen1987 wrote: »
    Only studied Mahon, Literary Genre, Iago's jealousy and Othello as the principal agent of his own downfall, so I just combined those two and got the Foolishness/cleverness essay out of it!

Sh1t, posted in my bro's account!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Oh jesus im after noticing something and I think I might of made a mistake today.

The theme and issue question
    1 (a) and (B)
    Describe the VIEWPOINT on your chosen theme or issue that emerges from one of your comparative texts.

For that question I talked about philadelphia here I come and my theme was the growth of the central character towards knowledge and discovery of self. Then I talked about how he was at the beginning, his dilemma, the key relationship he had, the key moment and the resolution (like you would for a normal theme and issue question)

I thought thats what they wanted but now I'm after studying the question and I've no idea what the hell they meant by viewpoint. was I right??

If im wrong I made the same mistake for the part B!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I would think that it basically means you discuss the over-all 'direction' that the theme takes, like for example in Death of a Salesman, if you were going to talk about the theme of Father-Son relationships, you'd say the viewpoint might be of how difficult it can be for the the son to get on with his life when his father is pushing his own aspirations/hopes onto him, as opposed to some other viewpoint examining some other aspect of the relationship. Sounds like a difficult question tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

LOVED IT!!

killed my hand

but SEXY :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    I would think that it basically means you discuss the over-all 'direction' that the theme takes, like for example in Death of a Salesman, if you were going to talk about the theme of Father-Son relationships, you'd say the viewpoint might be of how difficult it can be for the the son to get on with his life when his father is pushing his own aspirations/hopes onto him, as opposed to some other viewpoint examining some other aspect of the relationship. Sounds like a difficult question tbh.
    So do you think I answered it wrong.

I just referred to the type of character gar was and what his dilemma was
    the key realtionship in his life
    the key moment of the play
    and the resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

1huge1 wrote: »
    So do you think I answered it wrong.

I just referred to the type of character gar was and what his dilemma was
    the key realtionship in his life
    the key moment of the play
    and the resolution

man stop going over the paper..your only giving yourself unessicary stress.your worry bout something you cant change:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 x-katz-x

I was absolutely delighted with wat came up! As the examiner was passin out all the papers i was tryin to make out the writing on the page under the last page nd when i saw the words John Donne i was about to jump for joy! I twisted the Othello essay saying it was a combination of Iago's skill in manipulation and Othello's trusting nature that ultimately brings about the tragedy in the play. As for the Comparative essay i did the one on theme/issue bout the viewpoints bt i wasn't really sure bout how to approach it so i waffled! All in all tho i think it was a great paper..

Advertisement