Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did paper 2 go?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Mine was horrible.

Spent way too much time on Othello and the comparative and had only 20 minutes left for the whole poetry section. I knew what I was doing but just had no time.

Questions were grand though. Hopefully paper 1 will balance it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MnMs

i thought the othello question was great...you could have written about othellos foolishness, iagos skill and ingenuity and the combination of luck...just like in that revision book

sorted!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Well... it's over!

Section I: Othello, first question. Basically did half on Othello's faults, half on Iago being evil and what not, rounded it all up. 6 pages... not so bad!

Section II: Theme and Issue. Messed up the whole key moments thing. As in, I hadn't a clue and made them all up! So... yeah... 7 pages of cr*p basically.

Section III: Unseen: the first question. A bit of a mess, just wrote as much as I could in ten minutes. I'd read it before somewhere for some reason!

Seen: Donne. What. A. Ledge. It was a lovely question, exactly what I was prepared to write about. 6 nice pages on him.

So... hopefully an A2. That's what I'd love! But maybe not what with the Comparative...

It went really well besides that weird ass comparative question, (only got 4 pages outta that and a **** conclusion..) It was very unclear.. viewpoint?? Anyone??

I did the Othello question, the one about demonstrating the weakness of human judgement.. pretty straight forward, got 5 pages outta that and I did Donne.. I was so happy, had the question all recited off! Another 5 pages. BOO YEAA! The Unseen was also very easy.. compared to last year anyway! YaY!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭....shell....

could someone tell me how many pages they wrote for the ordinary level paper....i wrote about 17 and didnt know if it was enough or not.....
    was delighted that the poem i studyed came up and all the single and comparative text questions went great....i wasnt too happy about the unseen poem though...seagulls..what the **** like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

It went really well besides that weird ass comparative question, (only got 4 pages outta that and a **** conclusion..) It was very unclear.. viewpoint?? Anyone??

I did the Othello question, the one about demonstrating the weakness of human judgement.. pretty straight forward, got 5 pages outta that and I did Donne.. I was so happy, had the question all recited off! Another 5 pages. BOO YEAA! The Unseen was also very easy.. compared to last year anyway! YaY!!!! :D
    Ya I too just went with what I normally write for theme and issue on that question, I don't know that they wanted for viewpoint to be honest, it was very confusing but hopefully im not the only one who made this mistake and they will take this into account when marking it.

Other than that tricky question it was a nice exam. hand is still killing me though.
    wrote 15 pages in total

• Registered Users Posts: 44 delighted.

For theme or issue, the first question about the viewpoints. Was it the readers viewpoint?
    And also did it make sense to talk about the viewpoints of other characters towards them?

Othello and poetry were lovely. Mahon question was about people and place, the exact same as the pre question :]

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

oh mother of god...

I nearly had heart failure before i went in. I was practically kicked in by my teacher.

When we got the papers turned upside down i managed to read through the back page and see all 4 poets , at first all i saw was Larkin and Donne and was fit to collapse cause hadnt done Donne and let Larkin slide.. Then finally i made out that Mahon and Rich were on it and i think i let out a little scream of joy!

I did the Lit Genre question, 2nd one and dear god it was miserable. If there was such a thing as minus marks, jesus i got them. When i came out my enlgish teach saw me and was like oooh which one did you do? when i told him he nearly hit me..i have a bizarre ability to pick out the crappy ones.Wrote 5 pages but towards my conclusion I re-read the question to see i had MISREAD it :eek: waaaa. I nearly started actually crying.. the whole 5 page spiel was gone..
    Not that i actually understood HALF of what i wrote in it, in fact i didnt even bother reading over it at the end cause i knew it was a lost cause.. and that it would wreck my head. So there's minus 70 marks for me.. 17.5% of the grade is it?

Othello was sweet and had a question v similar to it done, plus had read the one in the "key english notes" the night before! Gave a good philosophical yolk, about 4 pages. Then my Mahon went pretty damn well too, about 4 pages again. Unseen poem left me slightly stumped, so waffled to hell and back but meh.

IT'S OVER! :D:D what a weight off the shoulders , eh?
    hurrah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

wanted boland but tried my hand at larkin..went ok

theme...amazing

othello...i love iago haha got to use all my quotes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

everyone - anything wrong with agreeing with the Othello question, and talking about the handkerchief (how Othello os demented by it) and that kind of thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bitterstudent

In relation to the Othello question on the foolishness and what not:
    It was a statement and I'm just wondering can you disagree with a statement? It didn't really ask for an opinion, just for your discussion on the statement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 florencexxx

Couldn't have asked for a better Paper 2. =] The Othello question was a gift, 5 pages on weakness of human judgement which was actually really easy to argue. Comparative - thank God theme came up - nearly exactly the same as the mocks, 7 pages (I think I might have overdone that a bit). Poetry was probably my weakest, even though Donne & Mahon came up thank God, the only two I'd studied properly. xD 5 pages but I don't know if I was totally on the ball and I'm hoping for an A so...we'll see. It was lovely overall, I thought. Haven't written that much in years though, was literally scribbling away for the whole exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Kimmy-XxX

did anyone else think it was overly predictable??..I picked the four poets that would come up by flicking through past exam queations lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

anyone who thinks the othello question was a tuffy obviously arent aware you can disagree or agree with the statement!i said it was a combination of both elements and that shows the examiner you're thinking bout it :) totally aced rich as well! the only bollocks was the theme and issue,dont think i addressed the how but well enough :S anyways a thoroughly predictable paper!made up for paper one defo

Advertisement