Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's this worth?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A new one of these would set you back €46k, so maybe go in at €27,500 on this one http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volvo/V50/D5-SE/1040334/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ninty9er wrote: »
    A new one of these would set you back €46k, so maybe go in at €27,500 on this one http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volvo/V50/D5-SE/1040334/

Too high mileage and price i'd say. Anan1?

I really don't think u'll get ur money back on that 2.5 resale wise. No matter how low the mileage, i just don't think and car with such a big engine, and little spec will appeal to any1.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Too high mileage and price i'd say. Anan1?
    I'm thinking so too.
    I really don't think u'll get ur money back on that 2.5 resale wise. No matter how low the mileage, i just don't think and car with such a big engine, and little spec will appeal to any1.
    Everything has a price, it won't be worth as much as a well-specced diesel auto but then again it should be a lot cheaper to buy. At what point does the purchase price become low enough to cancel out the low resale?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Anan1 wrote: »
    At what point does the purchase price become low enough to cancel out the low resale?

It's not the purchase price, is value for money and saleability come three years time. If some1 comes into us with a high litre petrol engine it's just a big no no on giving a fair trade in if the same vehicle can be bought in diesel.

Also from reading about what people say about the gearbox etc, i don't think people will go for it for power, which seems to be the only thing that would put this higher than any of the other.

If some one wants a fast car, they're not going to go for a Volvo estate, and especially a low spec one. What helps high engine petrol cars resale is spec. Spec spec and more spec. I've loads more to say but need to go on lunch haha:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

at 45k miles, and none to be put up it's not going to make much difference at resale time. A 05 V50 with 50k on the clock is only going to worth about €250-€500 more to a dealer than one with 100k on the clock as long as both have a FSH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As others have said, that particular Volvo is outside of the usual market parameters on so many angles that it is worth exactly ...nothing. Or to be precise, just as much as the one or two people who might actually be interested in it regardless, are prepared to offer.

That is the case now and it will still be the case come re-sale time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bit of an update - as I felt they would, they refused my offer of €18,000. The feeling I got was that, at the moment, it'd take €19,000, or very close to it, to buy the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you can never under-pitch your bid. It's very easy to come up in price, impossible to go downwards.

Leave them stew a bit............they might call you in a few weeks......and then lo-ball another 1k off it.

Fwiw, big petrols are all about spec - no one buys for the power, in base spec, that's for sure.

Let me put it this way, I completely lowballed by last P car but one...and got it. Garage were delighted I took it, as it was in danger of sticking to the floor........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement