Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being stubborn this time

Options
  • 05-06-2008 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I'm on my 3rd day of not smoking. Any time I stopped smoking before I always found it difficult at 3 days, 3 weeks, and 3 months, don't know why. Anyway I know it's just as simple as just NOT having another cigarette. I'm trying to be stubborn about it this time, cos I seem to be stubborn with everything else in my life and I don't want to give in to the stupid poisonous addiction this time. I'm too young to be smoking 10 years already. I don't want to smoke anymore. I want to be healthy.
    Fingers crossed I can do it this time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Best of luck Nikster...I know what you mean about reaching certain milestones, I found it helped to make and keep as full a list of reasons for quitting as possible and a quit journal to refer back to and reinforce my desire to quit whenever I might need it; I wouldn't write in it every day but its surprising the things you notice (deeper breathing, sense of smell coming back) that you forget as time goes on.
    I smoked for 13 years and same as you, didn't want to be a smoker anymore. I kept telling myself that by my next birthday I wouldn't be a smoker but it never seemed to happen. I finally quit last August and I never want to smoke again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Patches dude....really making this time a breeze for me right now and I dont think i'd be off fags without them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

good luck Nickster. If you have done 3 days then you will probably be ok without patches. doesn't make sense to put nicotine into your system at this point. you've just got it out. day 4 is much easier. hang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nikster

I got drunk last night and I had 3 cigarettes.
    I haven't smoked at all today, and don't have any intention of smoking, but I still feel miserable and weak:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Don't worry about it too much, you're not smoking today. I think very few people quit on their first or second attempt; this time round you know what not to do where alcohol and cigarettes are concerned - each failed quit (and I've lost count of mine) teaches you something else about how to quit, don't give up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Best advice I can give you is to pack in the booze for a few weeks.

If you cantdo that then try and make sure there is a non-smoking friend boozing with you at all times:) so you can stay inside when all your smoking buddies go outside to continue on their quest to kill themselves slowly and painfully with some horrific disease.

I really really hope you can beat it. Best feeling in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Inevitably

I'm off the smokes two weeks now, and I would agree that its probably a good idea not to drink for a couple of weeks. After that its probably ok cos you wouldnt' have one anyway ( hopefully)

Advertisement