Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cracks in my walls and ceilings

Options
  • 05-06-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

we bought our house aprox 3 years ago,brand new in a new development . in the last year cracks have started forming in a lot of the walls,some running half way down the wall from the ceiling to the floor. we have a ten year homebond. plaster has been chipping away and falling to the ground from the ceiling. not in big lumps but it is noticable in the corners of the ceilings. what should i do? should i contact the builder? or should i just fix it myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Contact the builder, and then if need be HomeBond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I agree, contact the builder.

Sounds like subsidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

How big are the cracks..? 1mm 3mm

First off start monitoring the density, length and width of all the cracks.

Its a new development so it is more than likely just settlement cracks, foundations setting into a final position.

If it is the start of subsidence which i doubt it is there will be other evidence such as warped door jams, doors becoming hard to open and close.

Windows stiff to close and open.

If things get worse then do contact the building contractor

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If the builder says there is nothing wrong with it, or tries to fob you off, get a structural engineer in to have a look at the house.

My limited understanding of engineering is that the cracks could be a once off - i.e. the house was built slightly unevenly and so part of the building moved slightly to adjust to it - or it could be a serious problem, to such an extent that the house will ultimately be unliveable.

I would also speak to my neighbours (especially if terraced or semi-d) to see if they have encountered similar problems.

Ultimately if the problem is just a once off homebond might sort it out, if it is a serious problem you may have to engage a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jjahbss

You haven't answered the question about the width of the cracks. How wide are they? Are they wider at the top than the bottom? Do they run diagonally? Are they appearing at the corners of window and door opes?

The fact that they have only appeared in the last year is not a good sign, but it may just be that you did not notice them. Buildings take a while to bed down and dry out after construction, but these types of settlement and shrinkage cracks would normally appear in the first six months and would not be any more 1mm wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

they are only 1mm-2mm wide but run vertically for about 4 ft-6ft in place. i have noticed them outside at the windows and doors also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Have you contacted the builder and/or HomeBond about it? If so, what have they said?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

It never fails to amaze me when people post on the internet for things like this.

Find an expert [family, friend, someone who did work for family/friend], and get them out to look at it and don't mess about with folks here, 99.999% of us have no idea about these things [even more so without knowing where your house is, standard of the build etc etc etc]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

OP Start a photographic record/diary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

auditek923 wrote: »
    they are only 1mm-2mm wide but run vertically for about 4 ft-6ft in place. i have noticed them outside at the windows and doors also

Could it be just the concrete receding as it dries out? Don't know the technical term for it but it happens in all new builds. As the concrete dries it pulls away from what it's joined on to. In my place they've occurred around the doorframes and skirting boards. All you need to do is polyfilla them then paint over them and it's fine. However if in doubt get a pro in to have a look

Advertisement