Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCarthy's Deise future in doubt

• 05-06-2008 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

Justin McCarthy's tenure as Waterford manager could be at an end after a players meeting last night.

The county's hurlers met in Dungarvan and while publicly the meeting is said to have been about tactics, it is understood McCarthy's position was also discussed.

An unscheduled meeting of the Executive of the Waterford County Board will be held later tonight after Waterford's Munster under-21 hurling Championship tie with Limerick at Walsh Park.

It has led to intense speculation in the south-east about McCarthy's future with the team, and when contacted by RTE News earlier this afternoon, McCarthy said he had no comment to make.

He has come under intense pressure in the county after a nine point defeat to Clare at the weekend knocked Waterford out of the Munster Championship.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2008/0605/mccarthyj.html?gaa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

What a load of rubbish mc carthy is going no where this year anyway.

We get bet by a better team and the whole county is up in arms :eek:

Anyway waterford cant really stand up to physical teams its the way they play,WE play better against a team who plays hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Anyway waterford cant really stand up to physical teams its the way they play,WE play better against a team who plays hurling

I don't know what game you were watching the other day, but Clare certainly played hurling on Sunday. I was sitting near the halfway line and from what I could see of the midfield play at any rate, they were the far sharper and more skilful team.

Clare were physical, sure, but no more than any other team. It certainly wasn't the only weapon in their arsenal. Waterford were off the pace and didn't control any part of the field. No preparation, no tactics - and I'm no expert in any of this. Sadly I think a new manager might now be what we need, despite my admiration for McCarthy's League and Munster achievements last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Think it is time for him to go, hopefully a new man can come in asap and hit the ground running in time for a Liam McCarthy challenge this year, the qualifiers may be a good chance to do this, it looks like our next match will be against Antrim

Pity Justin couldn't go one or two steps further, but no one can argue that he and the players haven't been given enough chances

If we don't win an All Ireland in the next 2 years then we could easily be looking at another 50 barren years

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

saying he should go now would be suicide, we are currently in the middle of the championship and people want him to go, if he went now, we would need a new manager and whole new backroom team, it would fnck up any chance of progressing into the all ireland q/s finals, stick with who we have for the moment, and if it does not work out then lets discuss this issue at the end of the championship, not now, its way too early for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Apparently Justin has resigned already.

I'll repost my thoughts from the thread on the GAA board

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055307400

IMO its disgraceful. The man has brought success to Waterford and doen a great job over the last few years with the team. Player power cannot be allowed to dictate decisions like this. Also changing managers in the middle of a championship season is madness.

Dont get me wrong, I acknowledge that McCarthy has made some mistakes year. Dropping James Murray from the panel was madness, also starting with 2 players who were clearly nowhere near fully fit on Sunday (Moran and Shanahan). Also the lack of clear direction from the bench and unwillingness to make changes till it was too late.

But at the end of the day out of the starting 15 only 4 or 5 players played to or above their abilty, the players must shoulder a lot of the blame for Sunday's result. Instead they seem determined to make a scapegoat of the manager.

The correct outcome here IMO would be for players and manager to put their differences aside and give the qualifiers a right go, and see what happens. Instead we have a shambolic situation where the players had a meeting and have basically made the managers position untenable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I don't agree, he has been given numerous chances over the last few years and each time we fall short. At the end of the day, the buck must stop with the manager. It's time to try a new man before the current crop retire

All season the team has looked nowhere near the level they were at for most of last year, and while the timing is not ideal, I can't see him being the man to turn things around.

Thanks for the last few years Justin, pity we couldn't go further, and I'm sure we'll meet again in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

On wlr earlier that Justin McCarthy resigned as manager of Waterford after a meeting in Welsh park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭nutzzz123

I heard Davy Fitzgerald may be in the running

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yup.. and his management team left with him. Obviously not very happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Not overly surprised but would have thought this would be happening after the championship rather then right now. doesnt make a whole lot of sense, you dont change horses during a race

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He really had no choice. They players would not play with him.

Once again player power wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Shocking that it came to this. The players behind this ousting should be ashamed.

What now for Waterford? At the Under 21 game last night in Walsh Park it was apparent there isnt a whole lot coming through in the short term anyway. Is 'player power' going to be the order of the day down here now? Will a manager be able to make any decisions without fear of another ousting?

So long Justin, and thank for everything, for the Munster titles, for the national title. We wont know just how good we had it until the bad times return.

As for the players, you have made your scapegoat now. Its a poor showing to try and hide behind your own poor performances and blame the manager like this, now its up to ye to up the game and prove yourselves again.

Its a black day for Waterford hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

From what I’ve been told is there was a problem going back a few weeks ago where a player should have been put off the panel around the time of the training camp but Justin never acted on it and a lot of players were pissed off about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

good luck Justin

who does everyone want to come in to replace him??

i wonder will the players vote on who they want:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Bring in Jack Charlton - Long Ball tactics with Big Dan

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

What a load of rubbish mc carthy is going no where this year anyway.

A load of rubbish aye;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

at the players meeting in the majestic the other night only four of the squad voted in favour of keeping him on. anyone know which four?
    i've only heard rumours, but not much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

longshanks wrote: »
    at the players meeting in the majestic the other night only four of the squad voted in favour of keeping him on. anyone know which four?

yes, its the four that the rest of the squad are'nt talking to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Giggles86

SUNGOD wrote: »
    yes, its the four that the rest of the squad are'nt talking to

Justin may not have done his job correctly, but at the end of the day its the players on the field playing the game not Justin. It aint his fault. On the other hand I have heard that he was a very hard man to work for. Alot of the players have had run ins with him :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

davy fitz is getting the job so i hear

• Advertisement
Advertisement