Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

funmobile

Options
  • 05-06-2008 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum - please move if not

Be warned that if you get a text from a 'funmobile' company and you open the link on your phone you will probably be subscribed to their service costing €4.50 per week. Even if you dont have enough credit on your phone, they will take it from your next top up.

There is no 'opt in', simply by opening the link you are subscribed!!!!

Paddyo

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Paddyo wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct forum - please move if not

Be warned that if you get a text from a 'funmobile' company and you open the link on your phone you will probably be subscribed to their service costing €4.50 per week. Even if you dont have enough credit on your phone, they will take it from your next top up.

There is no 'opt in', simply by opening the link you are subscribed!!!!

Paddyo

Have you tried texting STOP to the number?

Thats the legal requirement here... scummy as that tactic is, it's far from the first time we've heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Got it stopped ok - after €9.00 came out. It is my 12 year old sons phone.

emailed their support and told them to unsubscribe.
    Spoke to Vodafone
    Texted stop to their 53??? number
    Emailed RegTel

I received a reply email from funmobile saying that no more would be taken form the account.

I Just wanted to warn people about the sort of people that take €9 from a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hmm, it seems to me like your kid was enticed to enter into a contract illegally (not a legal expert), maybe you could investigate that? like, isnt that the same as someone hanging around outside a school selling credit agreements?

Got it stopped ok - after €9.00 came out. It is my 12 year old sons phone.

emailed their support and told them to unsubscribe.
    Spoke to Vodafone
    Texted stop to their 53??? number
    Emailed RegTel

I received a reply email from funmobile saying that no more would be taken form the account.

I Just wanted to warn people about the sort of people that take €9 from a child.

And you have every right to. Believe me, even most people who WORK in telecomms frown on these companies. They take advantage of people's naivity.

Sadly though, I don't think they are doing anything thats strictly illegal (remember for Regtel to do anything acting immorally is irrelivant- they need to break some laws.)

Hi SDooM

Not sure if they are doing anything illegal,but they are going against their own terms and conditions which state that the subscriber must be over 18.

Also on the Regtel site there is a section which contains industry notices which clearly states that the method of subscription is against RegTel rules.
    http://www.regtel.ie/information.htm

As you can probably tell I am still rather peed off to put it mildly.

Paddyo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Hi SDooM

Not sure if they are doing anything illegal,but they are going against their own terms and conditions which state that the subscriber must be over 18.
    but unfortunately it's not their responsibility to make sure users are over 18. it'd be almost impossible to do tbh
    Also on the Regtel site there is a section which contains industry notices which clearly states that the method of subscription is against RegTel rules.
    http://www.regtel.ie/information.htm

As you can probably tell I am still rather peed off to put it mildly.

Paddyo
    it is against regtel rules. they can't text you unless you text them first. but they do it anyway

Sam Vimes wrote: »

it is against regtel rules. they can't text you unless you text them first. but they do it anyway

Doesn't that depend on if there is certain legal bumph in the text?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

SDooM wrote: »
    Doesn't that depend on if there is certain legal bumph in the text?

possibly. but this page: http://www.regtel.ie/cop_11.htm says:
    11.3 Service Providers must not send, or have others send on their behalf, unsolicited, random, or untargeted telecommunications messages (referred to as SPAM), and the use of PSMS must not be promoted by the use of such messages.

there might be exceptions

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    possibly. but this page: http://www.regtel.ie/cop_11.htm says:

there might be exceptions

I getcha. I wonder how funmobile is defing "solicitation".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

GRR.. this happened me before with another company, I clicked the link entitled
    ' I think you should know this' and all of a sudden the kept eating my credit :mad:
    I found their details online and sent several angry emails, and eventually they sent 10 euro credit out to me in the post.
    Took a while though. Saps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

a minor cant enter into a contract except for his survival needs,

offer to take them to court and give them 14 days to refund the credit to you,

if not lodge a claim with the small claims for €20 and lets teh small claims write a letter to them

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭delta-boy

n someone give me the number please its doing it to me,
    *wonders do they target youngsters,as delta is only 14?*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I fail to see how they can "target" youngsters, its more likely the youngsters subscribed to the company or one of its affiliates and as such the company can assume the person is over 16/18 in-line with its T&C's that people of this age should only subscribe

Delta

Email them and ask them to stop. Tell them your age and tell them that you want to be refunded.
    support@funmobileie.com
    or
    david@funmobile.com.my

Get onto to info@regtel.ie and tell them about your situation. They were a great help by contacting funmobile and getting them to refund the money. Lodged it to a bank account of mine.

I presume you have text 'stop' to 57375.

Have you tried calling them on 4403962. When I tried, after entering the mobile number it said that it was invalid. Could not get speaking to a person.

Good luck.

Cabaal:

They may not target youngsters, but there are guidelines set down by Regtel on how the subscription should take place and I can assure that this company do not follow these guidelines. For example, a number/password is supposed to be sent to the subscriber and when this number is used then the money starts coming off the credit. My son was charged before the password was sent.

The thing which really p--s-ed me off was that he hadn't got enough credit to pay for the service. When I topped him up, it was immediately taken retrospectively. I thought the idea with a Prepay phone was that where there is no credit there can be no charges.

Im getting mad agan :)

Good luck with getting the money back delta

Paddyo

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭delta-boy

thanks you so much paddyo,its stopped now and thankfully i wont have 2 euro being taken off me now every time i top up.thanks :D
    and @ cabaal,i didnt subscribe to ANYTHING, on my contract probably on my phone they've signed me up.well problem solved and thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

RegTel's number is 1850741741

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well I'm glad I found this post, My friend just received a text message from Funmobile it was random she hasn't subscribed to any thing, in fact her number is new as she has only got a new Sim card after her DD thought a phone would look good In a cup of tea.lol so new phone!

so now they have broken some rules as far as I understand, she hasn't opened the link just the message is she OK to just delete the message, I'm thinking an angry email might stop them sending any more, or can she ring 02 and ban the number.
    How are they getting away with this:confused:

Ring RegTel, I used to work for them and they will sort it out.

Ring RegTel, I used to work for them and they will sort it out.

thanks looks like they have taken money regardless all ready

Baby75 wrote: »
    thanks looks like they have taken money regardless all ready

If you can show that you never texted them (i.e. some printed record from your network operator), you may get a refund

• Advertisement

If you can show that you never texted them (i.e. some printed record from your network operator), you may get a refund

Thanks :) I have contacted them and asked for proof that my friend has subscribed to them, she is going to ring her mobile provider and ask them as well.

good to know that, I just think its a disgrace I know this has happened to my mother in law and my sister and my auntie and that's all in the last 4 months its a disgrace. now my sister is 16 and she might have subscribed not sure! but my auntie not a hope as she does not do texts and neither does my MIL and they had a awful job sorting it out!
    you know when I looked up their website it came under use caution misleading offers for my antivirus!

Bear in mind that several shows on RTE/TV3 have text in competitions/voting and these usually have T&C's on the screen in small print. This is how they usually catch out grannies and mothers. So tell them not to bother texting these shows.

Advertisement