Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Eu160 for Service - is this right?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I have a mini one and I'm a girl so I think garage owners rub their hands with glee when they see me coming.

Recently got charged Eu160 for the following:
    Airfilter
    Oilfilter
    "A few bulbs"
    Diagnostic

- I guess this is a typical tune up with a diagnostic and labour. It's at an independent garage too.

I'm going to ask for him for a breakdown when I pay. Does it sound reasonable?
    Maybe it is right with labour but they only had the car from around 11am til I picked it up around 5pm... I'm confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Sounds perfectly normal to me. I'm presuming they didn't just change the oil fiter but changed the oil also...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

were you wearing a Stoke jersey when you brought in the car? That might've alerted them to your sillyness :P

But seriously, €160 is ok for a service.. parts alone probably costs around €60
    Diagnostics is usually expensive enough too (presuming that its computer diagnostics).. maybe another €50 ?
    then labour.

I'd say your doing ok there but I'm open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

been charged €60 for that before. Incl. parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

160 is perfectly reasonable.
    Labour alone would be 60-80 euro.
    parts, 40-60 euro
    diagnostics...probably cost him nothing as he has the computer (but he had to buy the computer so in real terms..probably 20 euro)
    then they add VAT on top of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Strokesfan wrote: »
    Airfilter
    Oilfilter
    "A few bulbs"
    Diagnostic

Presumably they changed the oil too seeing as they changed the filter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sounds ok to me. Get a breakdown all the same, and be sure they stamp the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

€60 for what ? A service.

Some engine oils like the 5-30watt syntethic can cost 50euro for just 5 litres trade. The Mini One indeed takes 5w-30w fully syntethic so unless there just throwing in 10-40watt Semi rubbish in everything then thats a good price. Likewise its probally 30 - 40 for parts excluding the oil such as Oil fiter, Air Filter. Plugs and Pollen filter if present. But i would investigate what oil was put in. Did you see a drum with 5w-30w syntethic on it ?

We use an application which shows the required oil for every car and price services based on that, platnium/standard plugs. I'm warry of one price services unless on that mini they were willing to make approx 60euros. Which is very low when you consider all things equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ShayK1 wrote: »
    were you wearing a Stoke jersey when you brought in the car? That might've alerted them to your sillyness :P

She's a fan of stroking, not Stoke...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

testicle wrote: »
    She's a fan of stroking, not Stoke...

oops... different strokes for different folks?

I'll get my coat......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm assuming that it included VAT as well, in which case it's perfectly normal. Most garages in my experience have a fixed labour charge, which tends to even out if you need extra things replaced as part of the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doesn't sound at all bad to me assuming they actually did what they said they did (and changed the oil).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

if thats a Fullsrvice ( all liquids changed ) then thats perfectly fair.... though that seems a bit cheap , if its only the usual small service.... even with VAT its only 120-140

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

If only I could get a service done for €160

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

dubmick wrote: »
    If only I could get a service done for €160

Or learn how to do it yourself for a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Or learn how to do it yourself for a fraction of the cost.

+1

Servicing my car costs max of €60.

Advertisement