Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got predictions for Geography??

Options
  • 05-06-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

Ive pritty much everything covered..only thing that im worried for is physical..

with regards to everything else i know

West ireland-Agriculture,manufacturing

Mezzogiorno-Agriculture,manufacutring(praying for this so easy),Tourism

South West USA- climate,agriculture,manufacturing,tourism

then ive my Dell mnc deforestation and global warming

Any know anything sure to come up??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Know your biome !

Human development, central place theory, sustainable development and all that jazz. Climate change will probably be a big focus this year ( ohh no the world is doomed, we all drive cars and use planes to go on holidays )

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Know your biome !

Human development, central place theory, sustainable development and all that jazz. Climate change will probably be a big focus this year ( ohh no the world is doomed, we all drive cars and use planes to go on holidays )

What exactly is the story with the Biome, how many things do you have to know. I've done the rainforest with regards to climate, animal adaption and deforestation. All our geog teacher gave us, are we covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

well i've learned all about my desert biome..just learnt about the vegetation and wildlife and soil all that..Physical is the one that im strugglin with though..anyone got any suggestions what i should be studyin for that as its the only thing im stuck on?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

plawless wrote: »
    geocology id say will come up. paris basin probably aswell.
    thinkin of doin ordinary but not sure yet. wel f##k it we wil c how it goes

I'd say stick it out, you're probably a lot better than you think you are. I kow I though I failed the mocks and ended up with a B3, which was a pleasent surprise.

Do you need Geography for you'r "prenti- ship" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Ive done all Physical(Except Folding) regions; Primary/Secondary/Tert in 3 regions(Ignored Paris Basin) Skipped Economics(Do business so most of them tie in to business) and all Geo-ecology.
    For Regional, should I study something else?

• Advertisement

oh for the Biome I think its split up into 3 headings with 8 SRPs, or 4 headings with 7. I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I heard off of a reliable source that question 3 is "What is a mountain?".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

pjjk90 wrote: »
    Ive done all Physical(Except Folding) regions; Primary/Secondary/Tert in 3 regions(Ignored Paris Basin) Skipped Economics(Do business so most of them tie in to business) and all Geo-ecology.
    For Regional, should I study something else?

What are your 3 regions??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

oh for the Biome I think its split up into 3 headings with 8 SRPs, or 4 headings with 7. I think...

What headings should be used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

Rock Cycle & Plate techtonics come up a good bit....hoping they come up again but have no predictions at all :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

BJC wrote: »
    Do you need Geography for you'r "prenti- ship" :p

lol:p

back on topic...

For Physical I am almost 100% sure that isotasy is going to come up!!! Learn river rejuvenation, incised meanders, paired terraces etc...

Also for physical:
    Learn off a landform (ox bow lake or waterfall or levees etc...) Another almost definate to come up!

Then just basic plate tectonics:

Be able to talk about the different types of boundaries: Ocean - Ocean, Continental - Continental and Ocean - Continental

I'd say if you know all that you should be sorted:pac:

I haven't learned my option yet:eek: We're doing the Geoecology option....

What should I concentrate on??? Do i have to cover soils or should I just stick to desert biome??

Also one more prediction: Human interference with biomes <- heard that on the radio

tdc, Headings, if asked about soil erosion, overcroping, overgrazing, deforestation,
    Charasteristics of biome(I wish...) Layers in the rainforest, animal adaptations, plant adaptitions, climate

Soby; I did Ire/Mezzogiorno and Brazil. Think I'll have to do Paris Basin today, everyone keeps saying to me that there'll be a comparative Q this year between a Core and Peripheral region.

Any hints on what else to study in Regional? Ive only done economic activities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

Am I the only person doing the Culture & Identity option? Haha! It seems to be a rare choice, but I find it quite easy.

I'm not too worried about geography. Took it on as an "easy honours", didn't really pay it any attention until the mocks when I majorly freaked out, came away with an A1. Let's hope the paper's handy enough.

I've heard that we might be asked to compare a core and a peripheral region, too. It's never been asked that way before, so I'd be expecting it. Paris Basin Vs Mezzogiorno, sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 OriginalName

What heading does biomes come under?

Is it in an option?

tdc, Headings, if asked about soil erosion, overcroping, overgrazing, deforestation,
    Charasteristics of biome(I wish...) Layers in the rainforest, animal adaptations, plant adaptitions, climate

Soby; I did Ire/Mezzogiorno and Brazil. Think I'll have to do Paris Basin today, everyone keeps saying to me that there'll be a comparative Q this year between a Core and Peripheral region.

Any hints on what else to study in Regional? Ive only done economic activities

ah no man your grand..al you gotta do is learn one region for each continent..mezzogiorno is enough..they question will only ask for a "european region"

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

I'm not lying when i say i've to learn
    THE WHOLE course tonight!

Please someone sum up what to learn for
    'Maxium points minium work'

All i've any clue with is:
    *Paris Basin
    *S/W USA
    *Ireland
    *biome

i passed my mock by JUST knowing the biome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Yggdrasill

laura* wrote: »
    I'm not lying when i say i've to learn
    THE WHOLE course tonight!

Please someone sum up what to learn for
    'Maxium points minium work'

All i've any clue with is:
    *Paris Basin
    *S/W USA
    *Ireland
    *biome

i passed my mock by JUST knowing the biome

Im the same. What would i need to know just to get a d1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

i think its a dead cert that something to do with the burren will come up in the physical section so learn that.......and anyone doing global interdependence it would be very wise to study desertification,global warming and defforestation..

i-cheat wrote: »
    i think its a dead cert that something to do with the burren will come up in the physical section so learn that.......and anyone doing global interdependence it would be very wise to study desertification,global warming and defforestation..

lol
    that the only thing i could ever relate to about the burren
    is that it has to do with a rock
    and i could identify it out in a picture!:pac:

thanks, i'll look through the geog book *unwillingly*

i swear, i'd rather be a full blown emo then force myself to learn
    the 'rock cycle'
    *barf*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

Any Global Interdependence predictions? The one given the mocks would be sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Personally for a landform im concentrating on slope development, I find it simple and you can just talk about the wicklow mountains, loads to talk about and a simple way to get 15 srps.

Ok short questions no problem there.

Physical: learn plate tectonics, earthquakes, volcanoes and rocks... no getting around that they have to be known.
    Then we can start to divide things up like I said im concentrating on slope development but its still important to have a fair idea of the others e.g mans interference with rivers is very important.

Regional: West of ireland physical,primary and manufacturing (I really can't see them asking tertiary or human processes here, not a chance)
    Dublin: Know everything very important, plus if you did elective 5 you should have loads to talk about in human processes like the ballymun regeneration project or the dublin docklands.
    Paris Basin: Physical, primary, manufactuing all important (tertiary is a bit iffy here as theres not too much I know to say, all im studying is tourism and transport but I dont have enough to get full marks), human process no problem there scheme directeur, immigrants coming after wwII and the likes
    Mezzo: Cassa and how it relates to all of them, you can leave out human processes here as its never asked and they wont ask it for a periphery region (just like the west of ireland)
    SW USA: Like Dublin I really dont know anything you can leave out here, but theres so much to talk about so im sure you could leave out what you find difficult

Ok elective 5: I think immigration policies is very important, as if the impact of technology and resources on population growth, overpopulation came up last year so I'd be suprised if they gave it again, same goes for sector theories but then again there a huge part of the elective so Id revise them as there very straight forward.

Ok onto the geo-ecology
    Look to put it simply I'd recommend learning the biome over soil as I think its very likely this year as last year was mostly soil.
    If you did deserts here's what I recommend
    Types of deserts, their charaistics (climate etc)
    flora
    fauna
    Human interaction: the sahel and california

1huge1 wrote: »
    personally For A Landform Im Concentrating On Slope Development, I Find It Simple And You Can Just Talk About The Wicklow Mountains, Loads To Talk About And A Simple Way To Get 15 Srps.

Ok Short Questions No Problem There.

Physical: Learn Plate Tectonics, Earthquakes, Volcanoes And Rocks... No Getting Around That They Have To Be Known.
    Then We Can Start To Divide Things Up Like I Said Im Concentrating On Slope Development But Its Still Important To Have A Fair Idea Of The Others E.g Mans Interference With Rivers Is Very Important.

Regional: West Of Ireland Physical,primary And Manufacturing (i Really Can't See Them Asking Tertiary Or Human Processes Here, Not A Chance)
    Dublin: Know Everything Very Important, Plus If You Did Elective 5 You Should Have Loads To Talk About In Human Processes Like The Ballymun Regeneration Project Or The Dublin Docklands.
    Paris Basin: Physical, Primary, Manufactuing All Important (tertiary Is A Bit Iffy Here As Theres Not Too Much I Know To Say, All Im Studying Is Tourism And Transport But I Dont Have Enough To Get Full Marks), Human Process No Problem There Scheme Directeur, Immigrants Coming After Wwii And The Likes
    Mezzo: Cassa And How It Relates To All Of Them, You Can Leave Out Human Processes Here As Its Never Asked And They Wont Ask It For A Periphery Region (just Like The West Of Ireland)
    Sw Usa: Like Dublin I Really Dont Know Anything You Can Leave Out Here, But Theres So Much To Talk About So Im Sure You Could Leave Out What You Find Difficult

Ok Elective 5: I Think Immigration Policies Is Very Important, As If The Impact Of Technology And Resources On Population Growth, Overpopulation Came Up Last Year So I'd Be Suprised If They Gave It Again, Same Goes For Sector Theories But Then Again There A Huge Part Of The Elective So Id Revise Them As There Very Straight Forward.

Ok Onto The Geo-ecology
    Look To Put It Simply I'd Recommend Learning The Biome Over Soil As I Think Its Very Likely This Year As Last Year Was Mostly Soil.
    If You Did Deserts Here's What I Recommend
    Types Of Deserts, Their Charaistics (climate Etc)
    Flora
    Fauna
    Human Interaction: The Sahel And California

Thanks!
    Life Saver :d:d:d

MaltEagle wrote: »
    Any Global Interdependence predictions? The one given the mocks would be sweet

just have global warming and deforestation prepared and you'll be sorted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cian1991ferrari

I reckon you should learn a rock type, how it is formed, and a landform it creates, i.i, limestone, karst landscape etc.
    Human interaction with the biome such as the brazilian or equatorial rainforest is quite an easy option too and usually comes up. I recommend learning deforestation, over-cropping, over-grazing and possibly desertification! Should be handy enough.

Not looking forward to the regional and elective q's so much. Pretty screwed for elective. I also say learn contrasting Irish regions, BMW & Dublin, Core and Peripheral EU regions, Mezzogiorno & Paris Basin & probably India as sub-continent & Aral Sea for overpopulated region should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 got-it!

Casserine wrote: »
    Am I the only person doing the Culture & Identity option? Haha! It seems to be a rare choice, but I find it quite easy.

I'm not too worried about geography. Took it on as an "easy honours", didn't really pay it any attention until the mocks when I majorly freaked out, came away with an A1. Let's hope the paper's handy enough.

I've heard that we might be asked to compare a core and a peripheral region, too. It's never been asked that way before, so I'd be expecting it. Paris Basin Vs Mezzogiorno, sorted.

Im doin culture and identity 2!what things u concentratin on???im on basque,NI,stuff ike that!

I reckon you should learn a rock type, how it is formed, and a landform it creates, i.i, limestone, karst landscape etc.
    I agree, I studied all the rock types (how they were formed etc) but for what it forms I only concentrated on the wicklow mountains for my slope development question
    So granite and quartz are the big things there.

What landform is everyone studying?

I hear a lot of people going for karst due to it being all about the burren but I find it boring.

Like what could be easier that slope development.

All you have to know is about 5 types of mechanical weathering and 3 types of chemical weathering and the factors that effect them and relate it to the wicklow mts (lots of nice and easy info and it will get you your points as they wont ask for a specific landform)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Casserine wrote: »

I'm doing cultural identity and it is far better than geoecology imo, as you can basically do it from personal knowledge if you just watch a bit of news, or know a bit of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

ah im fcuked for geography:(

Jakkass wrote: »
    I'm doing cultural identity and it is far better than geoecology imo, as you can basically do it from personal knowledge if you just watch a bit of news, or know a bit of history.
    I really wanted to do that actually but our teacher thought as a class it would be better to do geo-ecology, I much rather topics like identity rather than learning about soils and the likes. All the same geo-ecology isnt to bad but I would of like to have been able to put my own knowledge into the question like I would of been with cultural identity.

• Advertisement

With tomorrow being my first full day im just dreading the smell of arse after lunch with everyone playing football

Advertisement