Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water quality Rush

Options
  • 05-06-2008 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering if anyone from rush had a problem with the quality of drinking water. my girlfriend has been last couple of days. We cant put our finger on it. but the doctor said that she should not trust the drinking water around rush. Has anyone else thought this or even been ill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I know someone up there that uses a water filter for drinking water, thought it was more to do with taste of water rather than for safety!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i never passed too much heed on it to be honest but the water does taste different. does not bother me that much but i would never really drink water here. its usually beer. the gf would drink lots and this is the only thing which we can explain her sickness. cos we ate the same food 24hrs prior. so i dont know really . if it happened in galway could it happen here?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I use the Brita water filter as I don't like the taste but Mrs Wishbone Ash drinks straight from the tap without any problems or complaints.

it was just strange that the doctor suggested it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭moneyblues

I asked my doctor the same question about Rush water a while back as my daughter and I were getting stomach upsets. She said she wasn't aware of a problem. In addition I checked the report on water supply and it claimed the local area was fine. However I agree about the taste. I remember someone on Liveline saying you can get independent testing done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The problem with Independent testing is thats it's often done by a lot of companies who also supply filter's so it's in their interest to find the quality low.

I think environmental health can also come out.

surely though if there was any risk to public health there would be a warning.

my main concern is that the doctor said it. they may have a few patients in with same problem.

and as for independant tester you are right you are effectively inviting a salesman into your house. the result of the test would be irrelevant they will just off load a filter on you anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Frester

That's kind of strange. Usually if you live in the area and have been drinking the water for years its meant to be ok, but then if someone comes from a different area and drinks it they might get sick(if there is a problem with the water).:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I've been out in rush several times lately to fix heating systems. Heating systems have been destroyed ,never seen anything like it before. Almost like the water is acidic

The pressure out there in some places is mental aswell ,it's well over 4bar which I've also never seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@ Martron - Why don't you contact Fingal Co Co's Water Dept & report the problem?
    Their number is 01 890 5000, or 01-873 1415 after office hours and at weekends. Email: waterservices@fingalcoco.ie

I reported an issue with the quality of our supply one evening a couple of months ago. A very nice guy from the lab called me back that night & explained what the issue was (there were no health impacts). He also walked me through the whole water quality testing process which was very thorough IMO.

TBH - Your doctor is talking b0ll0x mate. If he/she really thought that the domestic supply in Rush was not potable then it would be incumbent upon them to report it to the council & other relevant authorities such as the HSE. As there has been no health warning issued I assume that he/she never reported it.

I'd suggest that you drink bottled water or boil the domestic supply if it concerns you that much. Change your doctor too. Based on the evidence thus far, either they are prone to giving unhelpful advice or they are just talking out their backside. ;)

@ 311 - I'm not surprised that you think the local water is acidic. North Fingal is a hard water area. That only poses "health issues" for plumbing systems. Advise your clients to get a water-softening system or buy Calgon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Hill Billy wrote: »
    @ 311 - I'm not surprised that you think the local water is acidic. North Fingal is a hard water area. That only poses "health issues" for plumbing systems. Advise your clients to get a water-softening system or buy Calgon.

Don't confuse me with someone who doesn't know where hard water areas are. I've been in various parts of rush ,the place I'm talking about has particularly high water pressure ,well beyond any gavity fed system. The damage I'm talking about wasn't hard water damage ,there was massive corrosion and thats not something thats associated with hard water.

Advertisement