Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RubyOnRails

Options
  • 05-06-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just started playing (learning) RubyOnRails this week. Have read up on scalability issues regarding RoR but I'm happy that if I can build an application to the size, I'll be in a good position. So far, I'm impressed - and I think I'm going to build a few sideline business ideas I have, with it.

I'm looking for general advice and tips, experiences, personal pros/cons, books you like, development environment, etc. Basically any tips for a newbie to RoR.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Not really using rails all that often any more, using django, but from playing round with rails this is how I did things:

Development environment: OS X

Production environment: Ubuntu w/ apache + postrgresql

Books: I have the one by DHH 'Agile web development with rails' or something like that. Good book to get started.

Advice: Make a habit of reading rails blogs and keeping on top of the ever growing feature set. Rails IRC channel is helpful for asking questions. If you want to do some basic scaling without investing too much time, effort and money then simply put the database and rails server on different boxes, it will make a big difference.

I only dabbled in rails, so take what I've said with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Thanks for that. Appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

http://www.rails4days.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Rails4Days.pdf

Regarding Reading
    That's a good read, and will give you a good base to work from.

Regarding hosts, blacknight and bluehost.com in america, I will say no more about that.

As for scripts: www.hotscripts.com is one of the few places I ever got ready built scripts for RoR.

I have always had mine hosted so I cant really give any realiable details about the development environment.

The rumor that is said that you can build a script in RoR in three days that would take you at least a month with PHP is a total myth. I would merely call it a dabble of PHP, except quicker and more shortcuts. I always liked it, for the little bits I used to dabble with it, and I'm hoping to actually learn a bit more about that and silverlight after the junior cert is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I think one issue is that ...

RoR is a framework ...

Ruby is a Language
    PHP is a Language

As such comparing PHP to RoR is a bit unfair.

One really should compare the Cake / Zend frameworks

As Davey? said ... the agile books are pretty good

Advertisement