Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC History

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Knuffel wrote: »
    Where did you get this information? As a student of history i must establish if it's a reliable source! :p

Well that's my study for the document question done!

:rolleyes:

My opinion really. A lot there so it's not easy.

The document question is so easy, why are people worried about it. 60 marks go towards standard questions like what are the strengths and weaknesses, always give a standard response...there's only the 40 mark question with only 24 of that on the CM.

Thus, a good background paragraph can be learned off for all the topics and then waffle another 2 paragraphs. Easy A.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭hoggie-bear

ateam wrote: »
    My opinion really. A lot there so it's not easy.

The document question is so easy, why are people worried about it. 60 marks go towards standard questions like what are the strengths and weaknesses, always give a standard response...there's only the 40 mark question with only 24 of that on the CM.

Thus, a good background paragraph can be learned off for all the topics and then waffle another 2 paragraphs. Easy A.

True, where did you get those predictions tho??

True, where did you get those predictions tho??

They are my predictions. Study 5 to 6 topics per question anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭hoggie-bear

ateam wrote: »
    They are my predictions. Study 5 to 6 topics per question anyway.

alrigh, no its just your title says examinations board or something??
    Though you got it from a soure....:pac:
    I'm loving those predictions especailly eucharistic congress (what makes you think thats coming up?)
    parnell(a sure thing)
    mussolini(hasnt been up yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Most likly IMO:

Parnell &HR
    Sinn Fein 1918
    Cultural Nationalism
    Compare gov's of CnaG and FF
    The treaty
    Causes of civil war
    Stalin & purges
    Hitler and propaganda
    Vietnam

Those topics are pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for. 'Cept for Modern Ireland...I'm hoping EEC&Fisheries, it hasn't come up yet. It's the only case study not to have in some form apparently. RTÈ wouldn't be bad either though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

I'll probably break down in the exam if the questions suck. Then I get to look forward to Biology and Art the following day!

Yay, now to study History until 2:30am! :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Don't forget about your essay project thing, there's no way anyone could fail! When ever I think I'm screwed I just remember my awesome project and hope I got 15 or do percent in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Kimmy-XxX

here's my dream paper :

1. LBJ and Vietnam..very likely apparently..something about Gulf of Tonkin/Tet Offensve
    2. Sinn Fein 1918
    3. Impact of E.E.C. membership on Ireland
    4. Church State Relations Hilter and/or Mussolini or something about Stalin transforming the Soviet Union.

Moon Landing is really unlikely because it's far too contraversial. If it does come up it'l be in the context of the Cold War, Space Race etc.

Montgomery is a bit bland, there's not much too it but if it does come up I think it'll focus on M.L King and the Civil Rights Movement.

What do yu think guys??

GOOL LUCK EVERYONE :D XxX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

the question the Shinners in 1918 will probably take more of a
    "write about the rise of SF....AND demise of the Home Rule movement"
    So be covered from all angles there.

This paper is hugely unpredictable. Personally, looking at a good A or low C depending on a bit of luck :rolleyes:

PrivateEye wrote: »
    the question the Shinners in 1918 will probably take more of a
    "write about the rise of SF....AND demise of the Home Rule movement"
    So be covered from all angles there.

This paper is hugely unpredictable. Personally, looking at a good A or low C depending on a bit of luck :rolleyes:

I agree, if you get thrown by a question you'll probably be screwed.
    But the rise of SF = demise of HR, right?

Stuff like
    young, active sf members vs old HR members
    effects of WWI, HR members in the war

GR. Time to go back to study. Going to do the question you did! (Context of Sinn Fein 1918) as well as Church State Relations, Purges/Show trials and Pop culture. I'll be back at around 9/10 pm and post my essay plans if people are still online to help me.

Anyone doing Topic 5 Ireland? Coleraine, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Ck1989

Praying for:

Feminist movement -Hannah Sheehy Skeffington etc etc
    Sinn Fein 1918 or Treaty Negotiations
    Nazi Propaganda or Impact of WW2 on the Home Front
    Any of the case studies, they're all grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭DowneyBookGirl

I'd really like: (in order of preference per topic)

Society in Britain during WWII (Home Front)
    Church State Relations: Muss/Hit
    Mussolini (Strengths and Weaknesses or Rise of & Consolidation of Power)
    Anti-Semitism

Land Acts
    Cultural Nationalism
    Successes and Failures of Parnell

Economy in Free State (& N.I) during inter-war period
    Treaty Negotiations
    Rise of Sinn Fein 1916

Vietnam
    Montgomery

But after reading some of these comments I may go over Stalin's Reign of Terror, Nazi Propeganda and Jim Larkin.
    Eucharistic Congress and Anglo-Irish Relations came up last year (I think) so I'm hoping they won't repeat.

Hopefully that'll have me well covered. Problem is, I'm really bad at waffling. I either know the title or I don't. :(

Home Front in GB would be a dream too. :)

I would definitely not rely on Sinn Fein 1918 exclusively. I would also learn economic policies 1922-39 and anglo-Irish relations in the same period.

If the question asks you to discuss the demise of the HR party as well the success of Sinn Fein, just mention that the Conscription Crisis completely weakened the party and mention how many seats they won in 1918 (6). The fundamental answer will look at the rise of Sinn Fein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Erica-smiley

hogey143 wrote: »
    Anybody doing 1949 - 1989 Irish History with any tips ??

I've heard about RTE and Vatican II
    EEC on Fisheries and Economic Expansion. Anyone else have any tips IF anyone seems to be doing this dreadful topic ??

Yeah I do dis topic.... Its crap isnt it?:mad:

I think...
    Lemass's economic prog for expansion
    The second inter-party gov
    Anglo-irish relations 49-89

But thats just a guess tbh!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jakimo

European
    Hitler's foregn policy
    Hitler's propaganda
    church state relations
    soc ww2

Irish1
    Parnell(land league,Home rule, skills and weaknesses)

Irish2
    rise of sinn fein
    economic policy

Vietnam for the doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scrivo

European:
    Mussolini
    Totalitarianism in Russia/ Germany

Irish 1
    Parnell and HR and strenghts and weaknesses
    Butt and HR
    Lockout

Irish 2
    Eucharistic
    Rise of sinners

Nam for document

Similar predicitons as Jakimo but have a strong feeling about Eucharistic and Mussolini will definitely come up but not in church state relations as they had their 'church-state relations buzz' last year. Think they will put on the case studies as there were not many on last year. So this will mean if Eucharistic comes up, so will Lockout and possibly even Nuremberg which would be brilliant!

As I am screwed for this exam I have picked out what I'm going to study as:
    Document: Vietnam
    Irish Questions: Treaty and Civil War/Eucharistic Congress/WWII
    Europe:Stalin/Hitler/Pop. Culture.

Petrified of the paper, but it's my last exam =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Eegah

I'm seriously holding out for:

USA: MONTGOMERY BUS BOYCOTT (come on...40 years after MLK's assassination and Obama as the Democratic nominee?)
    M for R: CULTURAL NATIONALISM
    S + P: SUCCESS OF SINN FEIN
    D + D: CHURCH STATE RELATIONS HITLER/MUSSOLINI

I'm crossing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Eegah wrote: »
    USA: MONTGOMERY BUS BOYCOTT (come on...40 years after MLK's assassination and Obama as the Democratic nominee?)

Just so you know, the paper was written in like November

• Advertisement

What kind of question do you think the 40-er will be for Vietnam? Our mock dealt with the rise of the anti-war campaign.

One of these, I think:

1) How successful was Johnson dealing with Vietnam during his presidency?
    2) What policies did Johnson follow in relation to Vietnam?
    3) What factors influenced J's policy?
    4) What facors influenced US policy on Vietnam?
    5) Which had greater impact on US, involvement in Korea or Vietnam?
    6) Where were the main developments in US foreign policy during 1960s?
    7) To what extent was the Vietnam war a tragedy for John and a national tragedy for US
    8) What extent were the Tolfin Gulf Incident and Tet Offensive turning points in US involvement?
    9) To what extent did domestic factors influence us policy in vietnam?
    10) Why did US become involved in armed conflict in Vietnam and why did it eventually withdraw?
    11) What was the impact of war on the us?
    12) ... impact on society and economy
    13) To what extent did the vietnam war contribute to divisions in US society in late 1960s and early 1970s.

Same sort of questions, just phrased different. If you learn your Timeline and are able to flesh it out, you'll be fine. You'll only need one or two lines to refer to the question.

:)

One of these, I think:

Same sort of questions, just phrased different. If you learn your Timeline and are able to flesh it out, you'll be fine. You'll only need one or two lines to refer to the question.

:)

Thanks, that's excellent. I hate those questions. The actual answer could be given in a paragraph but there's some serious padding out to be done! The one question where you're awarded with going off the point somewhat :rolleyes:

Read your textbook, it has some serious bullcrap to flesh out. :pac:
    Waffling ftw!

5 simple facts:

- President Johnson
    - Increase advisers 30%
    - Domino Theory
    - US Credibility
    - military solution

becomes :

Instead of withdrawing from Vietnam, the new President Lyndon Johnson, increased the number of US advisers by thirty per cent. Not only did Johson support the Domino Theory, he believed that US credibility was at stake. He thought that if the US did not stand up for their ally - South Vietnam - nobody would trust them in future. Johnson's advisers, who also advised Kennedy before he was assassinated, believed in a military solution to the problem. Even when doubts crept in a few years later about US policy, Johnson's domineering personality discouraged them from giving an alternate view. Johnson did not want to be "the first president to lose a war"

Very good indeed! I'm a bit upset at myself for not studying history, it's my favourite subject to read, I just hate studying it :( Hoping my (if I may say so myself) deadly special topic will bring me up :D

Same, I love doing it in class etc, when you find out new stuff. Then you have to resive.. What did you do your project on?

Same, I love doing it in class etc, when you find out new stuff. Then you have to resive.. What did you do your project on?

German attack on Guernica in Spain,April 1937. What about you?

Something about Nazi trials. I forget. =/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Mine was the Capture, Trial and Suicide of Hermann Goering. Pish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kathy_x_x

I did ''
    Walt Disney and his contribution to the world of Animation and Cinematography 1934 - 1941''

Was soooooo intresting :D

Advertisement