Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbo-Loading

Options
  • 05-06-2008 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

So what's the deal with it?

Is it as simple as horsing a load of pasta into me on Saturday evening or is there a bit more tact to it than that?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Without Googling it, from memory, you have to starve your body of carbos for a few days first, eating protein, etc., and then the night before, load carbos on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

The starvation bit is not necessary apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest. Just do what you normally do. Now isn't the time to be trying new things. Sure, have a bowl of pasta if you want, but don't be worried about carbo-loading. You'll do fine on the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Starvation may not be necessary but you know that the W200 people are going to completely overdo the overeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

tunney wrote: »
    Starvation may not be necessary but you know that the W200 people are going to completely overdo the overeating.

It was my excuse for having a foot long sub instead of a 6" today, and will be the excuse for any gluttony from now until Tuesday morning (recovery is important y'know :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I wouldn't try anything radically new at this stage. Personally I do eat pasta the night before something like this, and a _bit_ more than usual, but nothing crazy. I'd normally eat 125g of pasta, so I'd up it to 175g maybe.

I do eat a lot of pasta anyway BTW.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just have a dinner at 6am'ish. Nice steak n chips. :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

i did a rake of googling a couple of days ago and the consensus seemed to be to train as little as possible over the last 2-3 days and eat loads of carbs.

i liked the sound of that, so that's what i'm doing. roll on Sunday tea-time; i can almost taste the guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I find the high5 carbohydrate drink very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

i did a rake of googling a couple of days ago and the consensus seemed to be to train as little as possible over the last 2-3 days and eat loads of carbs.
    I think the length of the taper is relative to the level of your fitness. Joe Friel has a good write up on this

• Advertisement
Advertisement