Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21st party video

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Well I'm not an editor, but my 2c as a viewer...

At 19 seconds there's a dancing scene that I think would be better left with the others after the music kicks off.
    Having that dancing scene before the kick-off kind of robs it of impact IMO.
    Actually, maybe leave it where it is and slow-mo it... might fit the tempo a bit better.

At 1:15 the "very sexy girl" lyric + frankenstien = shudder

For a few seconds at 2:00+ there's a few short scenes synced with the music... at first I didn't really feel it was in sync, but I was anticipating the cut on each cymbal crash... I had to watch it a few times to really feel it the sync... maybe it's just me.

At 2:33 the freeze-frame happens on "down"... I'd prefer it on "chyu'h!".

S'good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Well, not bad for an amateur production. Hope you don't mind a bit of criticism...

1. Music - Not a great choice, doesn't match your pics very well. And I assume you didn't buy a license to use this track. If you can't afford to license the track, use royalty-free music. Get into this habit now, especially if you want to go into this business professionally.

2. Editing - as montage goes, I agree with the above points. You use the same "effects" far too often though (the forward - reverse - forward again thing) and the speeded up video.

3. If you're trying to give the effect of lip syncing to the music with the mic shots, it doesn't work for me.

4. Format - shoulda gone 16:9 as everyone has a widescreen TV these days.

5. Content - maybe you could have done a few interviews with the birthday boy and guests and intercut with the music and dancing. And their isn't a great variety of shots.

Good costumes though. The guests did their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

Its was the first time i did something like this and looking for ways to improve.
    Many thanks for looking. This guy likes that type of music.
    Appreciate ye taking the time to look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Xx iFight xX

Who shot it, was it you? Cause when you shoot it it makes it much easier.

The one thing i'll say about the editing process is that you should try to tell a story (not litterly) or complete a goal.

Look through your footage a few times to see what you have and try and mold it in your mind before cutting anything.

On the music, if you use unknown royalty free music that people like but don't recognise they'll appreciate the cut more

Advertisement